Hello fellow CrackBerry addicts! We need your help.

My name is Jay and I work at the University Hospital in Cleveland in the Nuclear Medicine Dept. Many of the patients I have are those dealing with cancer, and too many of them are children. One of the most upsetting things to these children is losing all their hair as they go through chemotherapy. Just imagine being 8 years old and having to go to school and be the only kid without hair. After working with these scared and embarrased children the last three years, I've joined a fundraiser where I'm not only trying to raise money for pediatric cancer research and finding a cure, but I'm also going to shave my head completely bald (something I've never done before) on St Patrick's Day. Its call the St Baldrick's Foundation and we're calling this March 17, St Baldrick's Day.

Any donation you can make (and encourage friends and family to make!) would be greatly appreciated, no matter how big, or small. Donations can be made directly to the St Baldrick's Foundation website at http://www.stbaldricks.org/get_invol...ey=2009-62078#, by phone at 888-899-BALD(2253), or by check.

A check donation MUST be made out to the St Baldrick's Foundation. Just put my name (Jay Tolaro) and shavee ID# (S-62078) in the memo line of the check. Checks can be mailed directly to the St Baldrick's Foundation at:

St Baldrick's Foundation
    1443 E Washington Blvd, #650
    Pasadena, CA 91104-2650

If you donate, please send me a PM so I can confirm your donation and put your name onto a CrackBerry Wall of Heros thread I will start once I start recieving donations.

I've attatched a "before" pic and will post an "after" photo once my head is shaved. I've not cut my hair since before New Years (which was already about as long as I've ever had my hair) in anticipation of this event, and will not cut it until its shaved off (other than trimming around my ears and the back of my neck -- sorry, work at a hospital and need to look somewhat professional).

Lastly, feel free to look up what St Baldrick's Foundation event is going on in your area and see how you can help them as well. ANY help is greatly appreciated by myself and MANY children who are fighting cancer.

Sincerely,

Jay Tolaro (drjay868)

P.S. Donations are tax deductible and deduction forms can printed out from the website if desired.
    Last edited by drjay868; 02-16-09 at 12:01 PM.
    02-16-09 09:58 AM
    Subscribed (shouldn't I automatically be subscribed to my own thread?)
    02-16-09 05:30 PM
    Please take a look at the site and help!

http://www.stbaldricks.org/get_invol...ey=2009-62078#
    Last edited by drjay868; 02-22-09 at 03:49 PM.
    02-19-09 10:05 AM
    Its a great cause and your help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 05:07 PM
    What a wonderful cause drjay....I just made my donation.
    I've always said...every parent with a healthy child should take a tour of a Children's Hospital. If they did...your donations would be pouring in.
    Last edited by Carol64; 02-22-09 at 06:34 PM.
    02-22-09 06:31 PM
    Thank you drjay868. I will be making my donation Wednesday of this week. I am a Barber in South Carolina and I have a lot of customers who will grow there hair out all year so we can donate it. We have been doing this for about 10 years now. I've had a couple of friends below the age of 13 with cancer. I have seen the looks on their faces when their hair fell out. So guess what we did...

Again, THANK YOU!
    02-22-09 07:18 PM
    hey drjay868-great cause! i have 5 healthy children from ages 141/2 down to 9 1/2 and tg for that! 2 of them are girls and wen they were little yunger i grew their hair down to their butts to donate for kids with cancer. i honestly 4got the name i sent the human hair to. but i will certainly be looking to make a donation this week for your cause...... ive lost too many fam membr to cancer as well who were older, but to see children have to deal with this...its just not fair. they got dealt the wrong hand! i will send you a pm on cb wen my donation is done.
    Last edited by shellie pink berry; 02-22-09 at 07:41 PM.
    02-22-09 07:39 PM
    What a wonderful cause drjay....I just made my donation.
    I've always said...every parent with a healthy child should take a tour of a Children's Hospital. If they did...your donations would be pouring in.
    Thank you Carol! Everyone really appreciates your help.

My hospital is home to Rainbow Babies and Children Hospital and the Irelend Cancer Center. Too many times these two are intertwined, but we all do our best to help these kids get healthy. This is just one more way I'm trying to do my part. Thank you again!
    02-22-09 07:52 PM
    mine is in too-i just pm"d you! good luck in your cause-i hope u raise a mil!
    02-22-09 07:54 PM
    Thank you drjay868. I will be making my donation Wednesday of this week. I am a Barber in South Carolina and I have a lot of customers who will grow there hair out all year so we can donate it. We have been doing this for about 10 years now. I've had a couple of friends below the age of 13 with cancer. I have seen the looks on their faces when their hair fell out. So guess what we did...

Again, THANK YOU!
    hey drjay868-great cause! i have 5 healthy children from ages 141/2 down to 9 1/2 and tg for that! 2 of them are girls and wen they were little yunger i grew their hair down to their butts to donate for kids with cancer. i honestly 4got the name i sent the human hair to. but i will certainly be looking to make a donation this week for your cause...... ive lost too many fam membr to cancer as well who were older, but to see children have to deal with this...its just not fair. they got dealt the wrong hand! i will send you a pm on cb wen my donation is done.
    Thank you very much Chuckie and Shellie. I look forward to seeing your donations, but more importantly I'm glad to hear that you guys are also taking time to help in other ways as well.

Chuckie: It really is great that you and your clients are getting involved. Have you thought about hosting one of these events at your shop? Not only will it help a good cause that you're already participating in, but should be some pretty good PR for your shop.

Shellie: I'm really sorry to hear about the family members you've lost, but very happy to hear that your children are happy, healthy, and helping others. I wish you all the best of health!
    02-22-09 07:58 PM
    mine is in too-i just pm"d you! good luck in your cause-i hope u raise a mil!
    THANK YOU!!!
    02-22-09 08:00 PM

Was it: Locks of Love?

Locks of Love helps disadvantaged children suffering from medical hair loss

Great organization!
    02-22-09 08:10 PM
    I was going to ask the same question. A few of the women I work with don't feel comfortable shaving their heads, so they're donating to Locks of Love.
    02-22-09 08:51 PM
    This is something I have been seriously considering. I have been letting my hair get long and I will probably do it in the next few months because they need 10 inches to make a hairpeice for a child.

How rewarding that would be.
    02-22-09 09:03 PM
    Yes - ty carol! It was "locks of love" I had a mental block! Lol

02-22-09 09:10 PM
    also Ty 2 drjay! I'm havin a prob w/postin on wap 2nite-dont no why! But that was the org name. My girls donated 12 inches long each! It was great!

02-22-09 09:13 PM
    You're very welcome. And tell your girls thank you as well!
    02-24-09 11:34 AM
    Thank you for your donation Charlie! It will be put to good use!

CrackBerry Friends... We're getting things rolling with the donations, but we can be doing much better! Please show your support and help out!
    02-26-09 06:13 AM
    Come on CrackBerrians... lets show everyone what we're all made of! Help those that need it!
    02-26-09 06:51 PM
    Thank you for your donation Charlie! It will be put to good use!

CrackBerry Friends... We're getting things rolling with the donations, but we can be doing much better! Please show your support and help out!
    You are most Welcome. Thank you for stepping up for this cause. To go along with what you just said about doing much better with the donations here, I would like to quote what Carol64 said in a previous post.

"Every parent with a healthy child should take a tour of a Children's Hospital. If they did...your donations would be pouring in."

I have been blessed with 4 healthy children, I have walked through a childrens hospital and I have young friends that have beaten cancer, and some who have passed from cancer. It is tough to witness. So Crackberry Friends, let's help DRJAY out on this one. Please...

Thanks
    02-26-09 08:29 PM
    Come on everyone!

I'm only 18% to my goal and time is running out, but more importantly there are a lot of children out there that could really use your help.

No donation is too small, so please help with whatever you can. Or find an event near you and volunteer your time.
    03-02-09 06:38 PM
    Less than 2 weeks to go in the fundraiser for kids with cancer! Please help with any donation you can afford, no matter how small!
    03-05-09 07:51 AM
    Thank you so much from:

shellie pink berry
    carol64
    chucky1
    03-05-09 02:45 PM
    Thank you so much from:

shellie pink berry
    carol64
    chucky1
    Also thanks to jdoc77 for his contributions to the cause!

Less than 2 days to go!

I've attached a picture of some friends in Baghdad, Iraq who are supporting the cause... How are you going to help?
    03-15-09 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD