Siri for everyone, with Pioneer's Zypr API

Pioneer today launched Zypr, a free-to-use Web service platform providing voice-controlled access to online services such as mapping, navigation, social media, calendars, weather, and more. Using Zypr, developers can provide consistent, task-oriented access to these services, whether from the smartphone, the desktop, or even the car.

Apple's Siri has generated significant interest in voice-driven, task-oriented control systems. Voice control has tended to be restricted to more specialized roles, used to accommodate disability, or in situations where traditional screens and keyboards aren't usable, such as in cars. With Siri, voice is becoming less restricted: it's used because, for many tasks, it's quick and convenient.

As with Siri, Zypr is voice-driven. It's also task-oriented�think "find me a good Mexican restaurant near Peter's house" rather than "open the Yelp application, then search for Mexican restaurants with a five star rating near this address." Siri is limited, however, in that it's a sealed system. Developers can't embed Siri-like functionality into their own applications; nor can they plumb their own services into the Siri back-end. Zypr is designed to do both these things.

Zypr aggregates a range of services into a common, consistent platform. Pioneer has made the necessary partnerships with firms such as Twitter, Facebook, and Google, so developers don't need to integrate each third-party service individually. Similarly, developers don't need to keep pace with changing fashions: if a new social networking site makes the big time, Pioneer will integrate it with Zypr. Developers won't need to alter their applications just to support new services.

Pioneer's plan is for Zypr-powered services to be developed for a wide range of devices. The company has a strong presence in the in-car entertainment market, and plans to release devices with Zypr support soon. However, the company has ambitions beyond the motor vehicle; it wants to offer consistent voice access on the smartphone and desktop, too. Pioneer even wants to make the service usable by its competitors, hence its branding as "Zypr" rather than anything with Pioneer in the name.

The service and API are all free to use. Rather than charging for access, Pioneer is hoping to monetize Zypr through revenue sharing from paid search, advertising, coupons, and subscription services. Any money made from revenue-generating usage will be split between Pioneer and the application developer. In addition to the free access, the company has also provided an open source Java client to help developers use the service.
    Siri for everyone, with Pioneer's Zypr API

If RIM implemented this, that would be awesome. Better functionality, better integration and better support since it's not confined in the space of Apple products.
    11-07-11 07:49 PM
    Zypr....... sounds like a car Ford use to make.
    Sith_Apprentice and bquinney like this.
    11-07-11 08:47 PM
    Zypr....... sounds like a car Ford use to make.
    I was thinking a magician who wears all black and likes to hang upside down in a vat of water while trying to escape.
    11-08-11 08:50 AM
    Hmm...in car...hmm, something QNX is good at...hmmmmmm
    11-08-11 11:32 AM
    As an iPhone 4S user, I have to say that Siri is almost completely useless. It's funny to ask it dumb questions, but for most stuff it doesn't really help anyways. Really all it is good for is scheduling appointments.
    11-08-11 12:21 PM
    As an iPhone 4S user, I have to say that Siri is almost completely useless. It's funny to ask it dumb questions, but for most stuff it doesn't really help anyways. Really all it is good for is scheduling appointments.
    Then don't use it lol.

Siri is in beta mode right now, just wait until it has matured.
    11-08-11 12:49 PM
    Then don't use it lol.

Siri is in beta mode right now, just wait until it has matured.
    Um, thanks.....i think...

Not really sure why you are telling me not to use something, but yeah, thanks...

The point of my post was that Siri is about 90% hype. BlackBerry users aren't missing out on anything by not having a Siri clone.
    11-08-11 01:24 PM
    Um, thanks.....i think...

Not really sure why you are telling me not to use something, but yeah, thanks...

The point of my post was that Siri is about 90% hype. BlackBerry users aren't missing out on anything by not having a Siri clone.
    Maybe you're not impressed but I am. Having my texts read, alerts read, emails read, dictating back not to mention asking the questions and having her find stuff. I love it.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-08-11 02:52 PM
    Maybe you're not impressed but I am. Having my texts read, alerts read, emails read, dictating back not to mention asking the questions and having her find stuff. I love it.
    I thought Siri doesn't read emails.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-11 03:20 PM
    Well everything you mentioned there have been apps that do that like Drivesafely and vlingo too. But the second part is cool. How often would you use it thought?
    11-08-11 07:03 PM
    I thought Siri doesn't read emails.

It doesn't.
    I'm starting to think ColdSunshine doesn't use Siri as much as he lets on.
    11-09-11 01:22 AM
    It doesn't.
    Ooops, busted lol.

11-09-11 02:45 AM
    So this is not presently available on a BB right? Its still potentially coming... I have to say, that while it lacks the intuitive value of siri, I have been getting a lot of good use from Vlingo. So far it does what I need, although I would appreciate a bit more of an artificial intelligence to give it more functionality.
    DarlinNikki86 likes this.
    11-09-11 07:01 AM
    Hopefully this does come to come blackberry .

Vlingo is good but I really want a that damn Siri app . This is good news though.

Was reading up on it and seems pretty cool . Fingers crossed for this ....

Come on RIMM bring this to blackberry devices .
    11-09-11 07:33 AM
    11-09-11 07:48 AM
    11-09-11 07:55 AM
    11-09-11 07:56 AM
    It doesn't.
    First of all I am a woman. And second of all, yes I do. Third, I meant she reads if I have any, not the actual email. Saves me from having to look if I'm driving. It won't read emails because of the headers. However, she can write and send an email quite well.
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 11-09-11 at 08:38 AM.
    11-09-11 08:34 AM
    This is all IF without any indication of interest from developers. Off it goes... Rehab!
    11-09-11 08:58 AM
    First of all I am a woman. And second of all, yes I do. Third, I meant she reads if I have any, not the actual email. Saves me from having to look if I'm driving. It won't read emails because of the headers. However, she can write and send an email quite well.

That makes sense, but it is a bit different from what you first said. However, that feature is completely useless to a blackberry owner as we can set different ringtones for each email account so we instantly know not only that we have a new email but also to what email account it arrived on.
    11-09-11 09:01 AM
    One word: Vlingo.
    11-09-11 09:33 AM
    That makes sense, but it is a bit different from what you first said. However, that feature is completely useless to a blackberry owner as we can set different ringtones for each email account so we instantly know not only that we have a new email but also to what email account it arrived on.
    I don't even have mine set up that way on my Storm. I have my "EMAILLLLLLLL!" ringer for both my Gmail and my work accounts.

One word: Vlingo.
    I never could get it to work right. I don't know if it's because of my southern accent (not as bad as BBT in Slingblade but still...) or just because it hated my Storm. Siri understands me, even with my drawl.
    11-09-11 09:36 AM
    I heard just yesterday from two 4S users that Siri sucks! I'm sorry but I only see this voice recognition stuff as another medium for people to be all up in your business. Its bad enough people think you're talking to yourself when you have a bluetooth earpiece in your ear. Now you isheep are talkin to your phone, next you'll be expecting it to feed your kids or drive your car, geeezzz louise!
    Fresh2deathJC likes this.
    11-09-11 01:51 PM
    I would prefer companies keep working-on the UI being much easier to use and much more intuitive. So far the playbook UI is leading the pack (Ex. swipe action, minimal menus).

Siri sounds like a secretary
    11-09-11 03:35 PM
    Vlingo works great right now. But I would love to see Blackberry develop an app only for their phones or purchase Vlingo and make it great!
    11-09-11 04:40 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD