I have been thinking about Walmart and the way they treat customers. Yesterday I bought a couple things that added up to about $190 - including a new pots and pans set for $110. I shop at Walmart a bunch for household stuff - got a new vacuum a few weeks ago and an HD tv last winter. The vacuum was a Dyson so you know it wasn't cheap.

What bugs me is the "pat down" a customer has to endure on the way out the door. When I complained about being treated like I had done something wrong, the employee started telling me all about criminals. Great, but I'm not one. Why don't they have security like everyone else? Well, they do have security. One is watched from the moment they enter the store, and they almost always already know if you've stolen something. I think this is a bad policy.

I don't understand the reasoning behind treating me like I may be a crook? The more I thought about it today, the angrier I got. So this afternoon I returned the pans I bought yesterday for a refund, and I have decided to take my few thousand bucks a year somewhere else. Somewhere I don't get frisked on my way out.

What do you think, am I over-reacting? Should I just accept this as just the way things are? or

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 05:05 PM
    Try a different wally world, they do react different from location to location depending on the theft rate. I have the same issue with circuit city. Returned a TV on the spot when I got stopped for a receipt for a DVD with my TV on the way out.

08-20-08 05:12 PM
    I've never had that issue at any wal-mart or store for that matter. But, I'm a girl so maybe that makes a difference.

08-20-08 05:15 PM
    I don't blame you with CCity - didn't they just fire everyone and offer them new jobs for less money? Sheesh, some companies. Anyway, my wally is a rural store. Maybe we have a lot of broke ranchers, lol.

08-20-08 05:17 PM
    I should be clear, what is bugging me is when you're stopped and they look at everything in your bag and check it against the receipt.

08-20-08 05:21 PM
    There are a few stores, not just Walmart that do this and I am guessing its because of the theft that goes on. Do I think they are being unreasonable? No, not really. It isn't any different then trying to board a plane and having your belongings looked at and having to go thru a metal detector. I'm not a terrorist but understand that this is something that needs to be done.

Maybe you shouldn't take it too personally.
    08-20-08 05:34 PM
    Awe heck...Just do what I do. I keep walking and when they start having a FIT I just say over my shoulder "Go ahead and stop me. And then when you have wrongly detained me I will sue you". Nobody ever chases me as I keep walking
    08-20-08 05:49 PM
    I've never had that kinda issue where I live at. I guess a medium-sized town in Central Texas is not the best place to expect pat downs and such when going into retailers. The people at the door are likely to get cussed out if someone infringed on them in this town.

Wal-Mart is not the coolest place to shop in general in my opinion. I try to get my groceries elsewhere. Some items you can only find there though. Everyone who shops in there seems like a zombie at times. It kinda creeps me out.

08-20-08 05:54 PM
    I don't take it personally, Judy. It's more a pet peeve kind of thing - I don't think of it as a safety issue - or on the same level as boarding a plane. Walmart is the only department store I have had to prove I wasn't a thief to. I have never been a very good sheep, just going along and not making waves

08-20-08 06:04 PM
    I agree with Exelant - I haven't spent a penny of my money at Walmart in years.
    I also won't shop at Fry's Electronics for the same type of reason.
    08-20-08 06:43 PM
    I agree with Exelant - I haven't spent a penny of my money at Walmart in years.
    I also won't shop at Fry's Electronics for the same type of reason.
    Really, Fry's?
    I believe the one I go to I could walk out with anything I could carry...

Besides Circuit City, my other Barney Fife on roids store is Costco. That's about as extreme as you can get, without the actual patdown.
    08-20-08 07:41 PM
    They do this same thing at sams club. They even make sure they mark your recipt it don't bother me. Maybe if they singled me out then we may have a problem, but until then I will continue to shop there.

08-20-08 07:48 PM
    I don't take it personally. I realize that these people are just doing as they are instructed to do. I was told that they are only supposed to check items that are not bagged to insure that they are on the receipt.
    08-20-08 07:52 PM
    I don't know about pat downs but deffinitely having to look @ my receipt. Not crazy about it. Sams club is worse. Not as bad as getting into an airport so I guess that's why I tolerate it.

08-20-08 07:56 PM
    Hey I worked for Wal-Mart for 3 years and I know what you mean. They constantly stare at you as you check out, look up and down your receipt, and give you the 3rd degree when you try to return stuff. Well the truth about saying they treat you like family when you work for them is a bunch of crock. Cause they expect you to give up your real family and friends for the place. After 3 years I had enough when they made me step down as customer service manager cause they wouldn't let me get off at 5 to pick up my kid from daycare. They treat you like criminals even if you work for them. So trust me I know what you mean.
    08-20-08 08:33 PM
    What do you think, am I over-reacting? Should I just accept this as just the way things are? or

you are not over-reacting at all. never in my life have I seen a Walmart, or ANY store, do that. I would FLIP OUT!!!
    08-20-08 10:45 PM
    I have been thinking about Walmart and the way they treat customers. Yesterday I bought a couple things that added up to about $190 - including a new pots and pans set for $110. I shop at Walmart a bunch for household stuff - got a new vacuum a few weeks ago and an HD tv last winter. The vacuum was a Dyson so you know it wasn't cheap.

What bugs me is the "pat down" a customer has to endure on the way out the door. When I complained about being treated like I had done something wrong, the employee started telling me all about criminals. Great, but I'm not one. Why don't they have security like everyone else? Well, they do have security. One is watched from the moment they enter the store, and they almost always already know if you've stolen something. I think this is a bad policy.

I don't understand the reasoning behind treating me like I may be a crook? The more I thought about it today, the angrier I got. So this afternoon I returned the pans I bought yesterday for a refund, and I have decided to take my few thousand bucks a year somewhere else. Somewhere I don't get frisked on my way out.

i think you did right theres now way ima shop somewere and fel like ima criminal ...i spend my money else were ...and some were i dont feel like anything but a valued customer
    08-20-08 10:57 PM
    I HATE walmart and would not shop in there store for anything. The employees are rude, nasty and the stores are dirty, not to mention the cheap crap they sell. They will never get a penny of mine.

08-20-08 11:08 PM
    I should be clear, what is bugging me is when you're stopped and they look at everything in your bag and check it against the receipt.

come to NY it the way of life out here and even that can't stop people. They are just trying to keep honest people honest.
    08-20-08 11:23 PM
    I cant imagine being patted down at a Wal Mart... I'd throw up a deuces and boogy on outta there... sounds sketchy!
    08-20-08 11:32 PM
    They do the same thing @ Costco wholesale here in California I hate Costco.
    08-21-08 12:12 AM
    I also understand the employees are just doing what they are told. This is a corporate policy. It's like the past employee said in agreement, there's something else going on because they already know who has stolen from them. It's interesting all the people who've noticed it at Sams because Sams is a walmart company. Hmmm.

Some have mentioned this, so I want to point out that this policy just bugs me and I hate the way it makes me feel. I don't think they need to do it. I know I am not being singled out and I don't take it personally. My point is if it is necessary, why doesn't Target, Sears or even KMart do it?

08-21-08 12:21 AM
    Same procedure at Cosco...show w receipt on your way out the door! And yes it irritates me!

08-21-08 08:43 AM
    I HATE walmart and would not shop in there store for anything. The employees are rude, nasty and the stores are dirty, not to mention the cheap crap they sell. They will never get a penny of mine.

Same issues in Canada. Stores are always busy with everyone complaining. Why would anyone want to shop there.
    08-21-08 08:59 AM
    Really, Fry's?
    I believe the one I go to I could walk out with anything I could carry...

Besides Circuit City, my other Barney Fife on roids store is Costco. That's about as extreme as you can get, without the actual patdown.
    there's a difference with costco... it's a club store, and you agree to the search in the terms and conditions of membership.

walmart, on the other hand, has no such terms posted when entering the store.

there are two kinds of people who dont mind walmart's frisking policy: criminals who are used to it, and people who will sell out their own kid to save a buck.

i simply dont shop at places that frisk their customers on the way out except for costco. i'd rather spend my money with retailers who dont treat me like a suspect. more so, why would i want to shop at a place that obviously attracts a high percentage of criminals that they need to frisk everyone? you are the company you keep.
    08-21-08 09:31 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD