My son is in the process of moving to the US.

He has just gone into Wal-Mart and purchased a cheap cel phone and SIM card. I tried to call him and could not get through. He tells me that before he can receive calls he has to 'put money on the card'. This is 2008. Please tell me that the US is not still charging people to receive calls. Surely not?

It reminds me of a scene in one of the Lethal Weapon movies.

Can anyone please confirm that the above may be true.

Thanks
    08-20-08 04:18 PM
    It is true.

Not only do you have to buy the phone and sim card.....you also have to put credit/money on the sim card after you buy it.

That's the USA for ya...

Dm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 04:20 PM
    Yes the USA sucks No free incoming calls like Europe!
    08-20-08 04:37 PM
    Nah, the US definitely does not suck. I have been there many, many times and I love the place and the people.

My son, 24, married a delightful American girl that he met on-line (Jeez, I'm just a Dad) a year ago and since he works for a moderately large American multi-national and they offered him a job in Charlotte, NC. He jumped at it. He's over now getting an apartment. But he is back here on Sunday for a week and then he's over in the US forever from 9/1.

Thanks for all the info.
    08-21-08 07:51 AM
    he can get a track phone and it works ok
    05-02-09 11:44 PM
    Yes the USA sucks No free incoming calls like Europe!
    The phone he is talking aboiut is what we call "pre-paid". Basically you pay for you mins upfront and when the money runs out you have no more mins to talk on. And there are some plans that have free incoming call. I know I had one through Sprint/Nextel.

And DolphinGuy, if America sucks why are we the only nation that will go fight for freedom when others back down. And at least we have the ‬‪*‬ to still stand alone and not join the EU Nation. I hope you know I really take offense to that statement.

05-03-09 10:27 AM
    Nah, the US definitely does not suck. I have been there many, many times and I love the place and the people.

Thanks for all the info.
    Thanks for backing us up, and other Americans, dophinguy's guy statement ought to upset you as well.

05-03-09 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD