call it what you want, they were doing what any respectable company should do - advertise.

Now i do watch Jersey Shore and the VMA's.. and i have a degree in Business Administration, and currently working on my Electrical Engineering degree, so what does that have to do with anything?

That's like saying Video Games are the reason kids are so stupid today, 95% of it is crappy parenting and lack of motivation. If i would do 1/2 of the stuff that i see kids do now, my mom would have whooped my *** right then and there in public, and she'd still do it today with me being 22 years old.
    09-14-10 11:00 PM
    That's probably the only 10 apps on the market worth something. Question is how many are real apps and not things to provide something like a short cut functionality like quick pull...lol

Just because you don't need it doesn't mean that others don't. Obviously there is a market for them and Google, Apple, and app developers are making a lot of money from it.
    Does it matter what others need/want from my perspective? If my neighboor has an iphone with 100 apps, why would I care? There are certainly more than 10 blackberry apps. Here is my list:

VZ Nav, the street, gmail, gmaps, google mobile, nobex, google voice, app world and podcast, facebook, plus a couple of proprietary applications.

Other than the above, there is nothing else that hasn't come with the phone and I'm a happy camper. I've been using blackberrys for over a year.

I want my phone to be a convergence device, not a substitute for my high powered desktop computer.
    09-15-10 09:17 AM
    Meh most of the apps I have on my Droid X were available for my Blackberries, only difference is they run quicker and smoother and the UI is a tad bit flashier.

Android, like RIM's marketplace, have tons of apps that allow for a ton of customization to the phone itself, UI, convenience apps, etc etc. Android has a bit more you can alter than what I found with RIM, but if it's your type of thing I think both are sufficient, with Android having the slight edge. Mainly due to customization of the number of home screens, widgets, etc.

The ONLY app I've used personally that was not available for Blackberry is ESPN's ScoreCenter App.
    09-15-10 10:07 AM
    Meh most of the apps I have on my Droid X were available for my Blackberries, only difference is they run quicker and smoother and the UI is a tad bit flashier.

Android, like RIM's marketplace, have tons of apps that allow for a ton of customization to the phone itself, UI, convenience apps, etc etc. Android has a bit more you can alter than what I found with RIM, but if it's your type of thing I think both are sufficient, with Android having the slight edge. Mainly due to customization of the number of home screens, widgets, etc.

The ONLY app I've used personally that was not available for Blackberry is ESPN's ScoreCenter App.
    The bolded items are of no interest to me. Notice my list did not have any sport apps.
    09-15-10 10:45 AM
    Does it matter what others need/want from my perspective?.
    1) Not if you can afford to be the only person using a Berry.

It's all about amortizing cost over a larger audience. More apps = larger audience = lower share of device development/manufacture cost for you.

2) Not if you can afford to fund Berry evolution on your own. Larger audience = everyone else paying more attention to the device, more likelihood that other systems will be made to interact with it, etc. I doubt Nav (VZ Nav), FCrack, etc. would develop apps for a Berry if there was only one Berry in the world.

3) Not if your needs will never, ever change. More apps that others like = improved odds that when your needs change over time, there will be an app that will meet those new needs.

If you're incredibly wealthy, will never change, and the rest of the world routinely bends itself to accommodate your personal needs, then no, you don't have to care about anyone else. However, few people exist in that kind of vacuum. What's it like?

- R.
    09-15-10 11:27 AM
    The bolded items are of no interest to me. Notice my list did not have any sport apps.
    I did notice you have VZ Nav, Google Navigation works leaps and bounds better...plus its free.

Personally I have little use for it as I have a built in navi in my car, but I've used it once in a friend's vehicle who didn't have navi on hand...the integration it has with Google Street View is pretty slick.
    09-15-10 11:31 AM

It's all about amortizing cost over a larger audience. More apps = larger audience = lower share of device development/manufacture cost for you.

2) Not if you can afford to fund Berry evolution on your own. Larger audience = everyone else paying more attention to the device, more likelihood that other systems will be made to interact with it, etc. I doubt Nav (VZ Nav), FCrack, etc. would develop apps for a Berry if there was only one Berry in the world.

3) Not if your needs will never, ever change. More apps that others like = improved odds that when your needs change over time, there will be an app that will meet those new needs.

If you're incredibly wealthy, will never change, and the rest of the world routinely bends itself to accommodate your personal needs, then no, you don't have to care about anyone else. However, few people exist in that kind of vacuum. What's it like?

- R.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Meh, I didn't get the S2 for the apps, I simply am not apps person. There are many, many others like me.

How many paid apps do you think iphone users have on average? No developer wants to develop a free app and reap zero from it.

VZNAV is one the best navigation apps, imo. It has a very wide audience across almost every phone in verizon. Saying there is one berry is silly, RIM isn't going away, the whole BES thing.

I may want another app or two. But with mobile websites on the rise the need for specialty apps is decreasing.
    09-15-10 12:19 PM

- R.
    Geez, lighten up! i7guy wasn't implying he didn't give a sh$t about anybody else, or that he is better than anybody else, AND he is certainly smart enough to understand the economics of supply and demand. He is simply stating, that he, like many of us, do not need or use a lot of apps, so from our perspective, we are happy. I can't think of ANYBODY that needs 10,000 apps, can you? Sometimes the figures (read that as quantities) are not truly representative of the usefulness.
    09-15-10 12:20 PM
    I did notice you have VZ Nav, Google Navigation works leaps and bounds better...plus its free.

Personally I have little use for it as I have a built in navi in my car, but I've used it once in a friend's vehicle who didn't have navi on hand...the integration it has with Google Street View is pretty slick.
    Disagree, it's different, not leaps and bounds better IMO. I don't look at the phone while driving, so street view is irrelevant. It needs to tell me the directions through my BT headset clearly.
    09-15-10 12:23 PM
    Geez, lighten up! i7guy wasn't implying he didn't give a sh$t about anybody else, or that he is better than anybody else, AND he is certainly smart enough to understand the economics of supply and demand. He is simply stating, that he, like many of us, do not need or use a lot of apps, so from our perspective, we are happy. I can't think of ANYBODY that needs 10,000 apps, can you? Sometimes the figures (read that as quantities) are not truly representative of the usefulness.
    Thank you. That is exactly what I was attempting to convey. I'm not sure why people don't understand some of us don't need hundreds of apps on our smartphones?
    09-15-10 12:26 PM
    Does it matter what others need/want from my perspective? If my neighboor has an iphone with 100 apps, why would I care? There are certainly more than 10 blackberry apps. Here is my list:

VZ Nav, the street, gmail, gmaps, google mobile, nobex, google voice, app world and podcast, facebook, plus a couple of proprietary applications.

Other than the above, there is nothing else that hasn't come with the phone and I'm a happy camper. I've been using blackberrys for over a year.

I want my phone to be a convergence device, not a substitute for my high powered desktop computer.
    It doesn't matter what you need, or what your neighbor needs, the point is Blackberry pushed app world and then turned their back on it like they seem to do with all devices after 9 months when it's time to go back to the drawing board.

I've been using a Blackberry just as long as you have and can see the numerous deficiencies as a consumer device. Considering I was only using BIS on it, I saw no need to stay when I saw Android phones doing things a lot better than what my Blackberry ever did. As a consumer, I want a device that for $199, does greater, or equal than it's competitors at the same cost. As a Blackberry user, I felt the platform was not evolving as quick as it's competitor, nor were any strides being made to bring it's device to an equal playing field... I voted with my dollars just as others have and hopefully RIM gets the message that their consumer offerings are weak and instead of focusing on BBM, they'll focus on the wants of the consumers.
    09-15-10 12:27 PM
    Thank you. That is exactly what I was attempting to convey. I'm not sure why people don't understand some of us don't need hundreds of apps on our smartphones?
    There is a balance of needs and wants... Lets just disregard all of that. I'm not telling anyone they need 10,000, 100,000, or 1,000,000 apps. The point is the app market has tons of useful apps amongst Android and Apple platforms that all offer a variety of choice for all users of the platform, from kids to adults, casual to power user, there is something for everyone. If you don't like how one app looks, works, or whatever, there is a higher chance of finding something that does. And if you need something obscure, maybe there is that chance someone else who needed that same obscure app developed it and put it out there for others.

I only run a handful of apps on my Droid that I need on a day to day, and not all of them are missing from app world, but at least there is is a dozen apps to choose from that gives me the best app to fit my needs compared to the 1 half-assed or poorly developed app that may hopefully be available on Blackberry.
    09-15-10 12:42 PM
    There is a balance of needs and wants... Lets just disregard all of that. I'm not telling anyone they need 10,000, 100,000, or 1,000,000 apps. The point is the app market has tons of useful apps amongst Android and Apple platforms that all offer a variety of choice for all users of the platform, from kids to adults, casual to power user, there is something for everyone. If you don't like how one app looks, works, or whatever, there is a higher chance of finding something that does. And if you need something obscure, maybe there is that chance someone else who needed that same obscure app developed it and put it out there for others.

I only run a handful of apps on my Droid that I need on a day to day, and not all of them are missing from app world, but at least there is is a dozen apps to choose from that gives me the best app to fit my needs compared to the 1 half-assed or poorly developed app that may hopefully be available on Blackberry.
    I found 10 apps that suits my needs very well. How can you condemn the whole of appworld? There are some nice apps out there.

This needs repeating, my phone is a convergence device, not a substitute for my desktop. Anything I really need is on my laptop if I'm not home. There is no life or death use of any application on my cell phone, except possibly navigation.
    09-15-10 01:43 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD