09-15-10 01:43 PM
63 123
tools
    Anyone see the VMA's (Video Music Awards) last night?

Sponsored by BlackBerry, with BlackBerry ads all the way through focused on BBM for surfers, low rider fans, etc. One key point was "If I send you a BBM and haven't replied, I can tell you've read it. I love that!". Little BBM messages all the way through between Much Music producers in various locations "I love ... thisperson/thatperson", "So cool ..." etc.

Hardly aimed at the business audience, now is it? Unless of course those business users also have lives outside of work and would like one device to handle it all? Nah - couldn't be, say all you die hard Berrians.

Puh-leeze no more "Blackberries are for business and not consumers". Nobody else is listening any more. Not even RIM.

- R.
    09-13-10 03:09 PM
    1) i don't watch MTV, garbage filled Television brain washing the minds of innocent children. and yes i honestly do feel that way.

/fin from my POV
    09-13-10 03:30 PM

Sponsored by BlackBerry, with BlackBerry ads all the way through focused on BBM for surfers, low rider fans, etc. One key point was "If I send you a BBM and haven't replied, I can tell you've read it. I love that!". Little BBM messages all the way through between Much Music producers in various locations "I love ... thisperson/thatperson", "So cool ..." etc.

Hardly aimed at the business audience, now is it? Unless of course those business users also have lives outside of work and would like one device to handle it all? Nah - couldn't be, say all you die hard Berrians.

Puh-leeze no more "Blackberries are for business and not consumers". Nobody else is listening any more. Not even RIM.

- R.
    So because they sponsored a show, that proves they're consumer-oriented as opposed to business-oriented? I've seen some ridiculous posts on CB, but this is one is a top 10!
    09-13-10 03:34 PM
    funny, all the phone commercials they showed here during the vma's was for the new samsung phone
    09-13-10 03:36 PM
    Who watches the VMAs? that's the real question.
    09-13-10 03:36 PM
    Who watches the VMAs? that's the real question.
    no one with a GED or higher.
    09-13-10 03:39 PM
    1) i don't watch MTV, garbage filled Television brain washing the minds of innocent children. and yes i honestly do feel that way.

/fin from my POV
    Something we can at last agree on.
    09-13-10 03:42 PM
    Something we can at last agree on.
    See at least i'm not 100% "troll"... maybe 99.8% troll but i do pay attention to the threads at hand..... LSHIDMTAMSFO
    09-13-10 03:48 PM
    Man, doesn't anyone ever get tired of the whole "BlackBerry vs whoever" debate.

In the end, a phone is a phone. They're all the same crap.

- RIM does email + business related tasks far better than any competitor, but can hold it's own in the media department.
    - Apple + Android are fiends when talking about the media department in terms of music, apps, etc, while only "okay" in the business area.

Any phone has it's ups and downs.

@mjneid + Cmaeda - Just because you don't watch the VMA's (I'm not suggesting that I do, in fact I don't), doesn't mean no one else does. Events like these rake in very large audiences and are often affected by all the advertisements.
    09-13-10 04:00 PM
    So because they sponsored a show, that proves they're consumer-oriented as opposed to business-oriented? I've seen some ridiculous posts on CB, but this is one is a top 10!
    PK, I didn't say Berries weren't business-oriented. I said people should stop saying "Blackberries are for business and not consumers". Emphasis on "not consumers".

VMA ad time is NOT cheap. Producing the ads isn't cheap. Equipping everyone with Berries and getting them proficient (or at least reasonably so) wasn't cheap. It all took serious time and effort to plan and execute. No way that was done without approval and involvement at senior levels, in line with a strategic vision. And it was all aimed at the consumer.

I have no problem with the idea that Berries are for business. The problem I have is when people use the "not for consumers" part as an excuse for Berry failings. No device is perfect, but I hate it when people put blinders on.

As for those putting down the VMA's, that's a distraction. This thread isn't about the show itself - what we're talking about is the fact of serious $ put towards an obviously mass market audience of ... consumers!

- R.

- R.
    09-13-10 04:01 PM
    no one with a GED or higher.
    Blackberry already appeals to the educated. Sounds like a great place to advertise
    09-13-10 04:02 PM
    Man, doesn't anyone ever get tired of the whole "BlackBerry vs whoever" debate.

In the end, a phone is a phone. They're all the same crap.

- RIM does email + business related tasks far better than any competitor, but can hold it's own in the media department.
    - Apple + Android are fiends when talking about the media department in terms of music, apps, etc, while only "okay" in the business area.

Any phone has it's ups and downs.

@mjneid + Cmaeda - Just because you don't watch the VMA's (I'm not suggesting that I do, in fact I don't), doesn't mean no one else does. Events like these rake in very large audiences and are often affected by all the advertisements.
    no one here turned this into a Blackberry v. __________; you just did, we didn't.

when it comes to blackberry, the corporate would needs no proof on why to use Blackberry, they already know why to use them.

PK, I didn't say Berries weren't business-oriented. I said people should stop saying "Blackberries are for business and not consumers". Emphasis on "not consumers".

VMA ad time is NOT cheap. Producing the ads isn't cheap. Equipping everyone with Berries and getting them proficient (or at least reasonably so) wasn't cheap. It all took serious time and effort to plan and execute. No way that was done without approval and involvement at senior levels, in line with a strategic vision. And it was all aimed at the consumer.

I have no problem with the idea that Berries are for business. The problem I have is when people use the "not for consumers" part as an excuse for Berry failings. No device is perfect, but I hate it when people put blinders on.

As for those putting down the VMA's, that's a distraction. This thread isn't about the show itself - what we're talking about is the fact of serious $ put towards an obviously mass market audience of ... consumers!

- R.

When it comes to the uneducated, moldable minds, it makes sense that they would advertise on MTV.....
    Last edited by mjneid; 09-13-10 at 04:13 PM.
    09-13-10 04:11 PM
    Blackberry already appeals to the educated. Sounds like a great place to advertise
    I guess you missed my point... if someone has a GED, high school diploma or higher they most likely are not watching the VMA's on MTV.....
    09-13-10 04:12 PM
    I don't know about blackberry
    09-13-10 04:24 PM
    I guess you missed my point... if someone has a GED, high school diploma or higher they most likely are not watching the VMA's on MTV.....
    How did I miss your point exactly? I'm saying Blackberry already appeals to those with a "GED, high school diploma or higher"... The VMA's sound like a great place for Blackberry to advertise since the people who don't fit in that category will be watching..
    09-13-10 04:24 PM
    before the flamming begins. I am in no means bashing RIM,

I just think it was a very poor business move for RIM to device to advertise during the VMA.

How did I miss your point exactly? I'm saying Blackberry already appeals to those with a "GED, high school diploma or higher"... The VMA's sound like a great place for Blackberry to advertise since the people who don't fit in that category will be watching..

sure it's kids that want to go out and spend mommy's and daddy's money.

but for the business professional/owner/investor... i'd HATE to see my life line advertised on a show via MTV......
    09-13-10 04:26 PM
    before the flamming begins. I am in no means bashing RIM,

I just think it was a very poor business move for RIM to device to advertise during the VMA.

sure it's kids that want to go out and spend mommy's and daddy's money.

but for the business professional/owner/investor... i'd HATE to see my life line advertised on a show via MTV......
    Doesn't bother me at all. It's an excellent business move on RIM's part. What "business professional/owner/investor" is going to be watching the MTV VMA's to see their "life line" advertised anyways? I know I wasn't watching... If you haven't figured out RIM's main objective is collecting cash by now...
    09-13-10 04:38 PM
    This thread is pointless. Sorry I stopped in here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-10 05:13 PM

- R.
    Okay, then Blackberries are for consumers. And as a consumer device, they suck.
    09-13-10 05:16 PM
    bottom line, RIM is probably trying to improve their name by associating themselves more closely with the MTV crowd! its as simple as that! It doesnt mean that blackberries are all of a sudden pro consumer phones! It takes way more than a few ads to do that. It takes a shift in developement, which hey, you never know if behind closed doors, that is what they are working on, and the commercials are just a start.
    09-13-10 06:23 PM
    Instead of worrying so much about advertise time they should step up there hardware and software. I love my BB and don't plan on switching,but it seems simple. They get their browser speeds throw things like a touch screen on a bold form factor and a processor big enough to make it all run fast and smooth and they won't have to worry about advertising! Like I said I love my BOLD but at the same time just want them to do a little more!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-10 10:06 PM
    So if you owned a company that produced a product, you wouldn't advertise and try to sell more of your product ???

Oh wait, thats 'selling out' ... ahhhh right, thats not cool, thats not subversive, thats total mainstream man, I don't like that...
    09-13-10 10:38 PM

- R.
    It almost look like the RIM is trying to introduce Blackberry as the replacement to the Sidekick.
    09-14-10 02:20 AM
    So if you owned a company that produced a product, you wouldn't advertise and try to sell more of your product ???

Oh wait, thats 'selling out' ... ahhhh right, thats not cool, thats not subversive, thats total mainstream man, I don't like that...
    Hope their sales take off. I have their stock in my portfolio. Good thing I am a long term investor.
    09-14-10 06:11 AM
    Okay, then Blackberries are for consumers. And as a consumer device, they suck.
    In what way? The Storm has a beautiful screen, great text/messaging, good social contacts & IM, Great Music/Photo media (lacking in the video department)...sounds like the almost "perfect" consumer device to me.
    09-14-10 06:48 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD