So if you owned a company that produced a product, you wouldn't advertise and try to sell more of your product ???

Oh wait, thats 'selling out' ... ahhhh right, thats not cool, thats not subversive, thats total mainstream man, I don't like that...
    I work in the Retail Automotive Industry. The Company i happen to work for is ~17 in the USA for total parts /money/ sold... we do not advertise on mainstream media. We only advertise during Kentucky Motor Speedway races and Cincinnati Reds games... we seem to be doing pretty well.....
    09-14-10 07:34 AM
    your telling me Jersey Shore and the Hills are not for the educated minds???
    09-14-10 07:52 AM
    Okay, then Blackberries are for consumers. And as a consumer device, they suck.
    I agree with most of your sentiment, but the Bold works well for my needs. Storm is a different story.
    09-14-10 07:57 AM
    In what way? The Storm has a beautiful screen, great text/messaging, good social contacts & IM, Great Music/Photo media (lacking in the video department)...sounds like the almost "perfect" consumer device to me.

very very tempting ....

--- --- ---

OKAY i'll be nice,

for me /personally/ the Blackberry devices are excellent at social networking. The push notifications are flawless, as long as BIS/BES is up and running. The browser does render the entire page fairly well, but scrolling on the pages and waiting for them to load is a chore. Media is okay at best. but the sound quality isn't the greatest. I have a Sony Bravia (not claiming it's the best by any stretch) system at home, and i could honestly tell when my wife had her Blackberry plugged into it v. a CD or had one of our iPods docked. The applications are EXPENSIVE and do not work very well. And way to many programs are in the BETA programming stage, Social Scope ring a bell. Customer Service /via Social Scope/ is pretty much null and void. facebook /even though i don't use it/ is a joke, everyone complains about it... don't pretend it's a "good program".... it's not. The screen isn't anything special, and yes i did own a storm for a short period of time, and a co-worked just dumped his storm not to long ago, VERY familiar with the device. The screen is middle of the road @ best.

blackberry does have some serious upsides to it..... but they also have some serious flaws..... and no DEVICES REGARDLESS OF ANDROID POWERED - APPLE POWERED - RIM POWERED is PERFECT
    Last edited by mjneid; 09-14-10 at 08:46 AM.
    09-14-10 08:29 AM
    Anyone see the VMA's (Video Music Awards) last night?

Sponsored by BlackBerry, with BlackBerry ads all the way through focused on BBM for surfers, low rider fans, etc. One key point was "If I send you a BBM and haven't replied, I can tell you've read it. I love that!". Little BBM messages all the way through between Much Music producers in various locations "I love ... thisperson/thatperson", "So cool ..." etc.

Hardly aimed at the business audience, now is it? Unless of course those business users also have lives outside of work and would like one device to handle it all? Nah - couldn't be, say all you die hard Berrians.

Puh-leeze no more "Blackberries are for business and not consumers". Nobody else is listening any more. Not even RIM.

- R.
    Every RIM ad for the past year plus has been consumer focused...remember their All You Need is Love campaign? Oh and the whole U2 sponsorship?

Now I don't know why you'd be watching the VMA's instead of football but whatever.
    09-14-10 09:14 AM
    before the flamming begins. I am in no means bashing RIM,

I just think it was a very poor business move for RIM to device to advertise during the VMA.

sure it's kids that want to go out and spend mommy's and daddy's money.

but for the business professional/owner/investor... i'd HATE to see my life line advertised on a show via MTV......
    Why? Who cares. BB is actually very popular with young teens solely because of BBM so why not get the word out?

Sorry you're insecure and would prefer to see your phone advertised in Fortune magazine to feed your ego.

Heck Motorola recently advertised that people watch Oprah (she gave away a bunch of Droid phones). Should I be "offended" because it was featured on a daytime television talk show?

OT but I do like the ads AT&T are running for the Torch, I think it captures what a Blackberry is (specifically OS 6 and the Torch) perfectly. The whole "business meet fun, fun meet business" theme is good and how they run that ad is creative.
    Last edited by fecurtis; 09-14-10 at 09:21 AM.
    09-14-10 09:18 AM

very very tempting ....

--- --- ---

OKAY i'll be nice,

for me /personally/ the Blackberry devices are excellent at social networking. The push notifications are flawless, as long as BIS/BES is up and running. The browser does render the entire page fairly well, but scrolling on the pages and waiting for them to load is a chore. Media is okay at best. but the sound quality isn't the greatest. I have a Sony Bravia (not claiming it's the best by any stretch) system at home, and i could honestly tell when my wife had her Blackberry plugged into it v. a CD or had one of our iPods docked. The applications are EXPENSIVE and do not work very well. And way to many programs are in the BETA programming stage, Social Scope ring a bell. Customer Service /via Social Scope/ is pretty much null and void. facebook /even though i don't use it/ is a joke, everyone complains about it... don't pretend it's a "good program".... it's not. The screen isn't anything special, and yes i did own a storm for a short period of time, and a co-worked just dumped his storm not to long ago, VERY familiar with the device. The screen is middle of the road @ best.

blackberry does have some serious upsides to it..... but they also have some serious flaws..... and no DEVICES REGARDLESS OF ANDROID POWERED - APPLE POWERED - RIM POWERED is PERFECT
    I agree with almost everything you have stated here. The difference in sound quality between it and an iPod is very minuscule though. I have a pair of Mackie HR824mk2 8.75" monitors which I use for play back of recordings. When comparing an iPod, 9700, and Zune for quality of music playback, the Zune had the worst quality while the iPod and 9700 were nearly the same. If the Blackberry's audio player can produce better clarity than a popular device, which sole purpose is to be a media player, it's not that bad.
    09-14-10 09:34 AM
    So because they sponsored a show, that proves they're consumer-oriented as opposed to business-oriented? I've seen some ridiculous posts on CB, but this is one is a top 10!
    I think the point is while the majority of people believe it's a business oriented device, this shows RIM trying to expand their base. Lot's of their commercials lately surely aren't advertised at white collar users. No need to be rude.

Who watches the VMAs? that's the real question.
    I did.
    no one with a GED or higher.
    I have 2 degrees and my wife has one. We both watched. As well as many co-workers from my office.

I don't watch MTV regularly. Hardly ever, but I do watch the VMA's every year. I like music.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Chelsea Handler is funny as isht...
    09-14-10 09:46 AM
    I have 2 degrees and my wife has one. We both watched. As well as many co-workers from my office.

I don't watch MTV regularly. Hardly ever, but I do watch the VMA's every year. I like music.
    I think that guy has some image problem.

Granted I wasn't watching it because it was the first Sunday of the NFL season, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't read about it the next day.

....I also watch Jersey Shore. Nothing wrong with having a guilty pleasure, oh and I also hold a degree in economics and statistics from the lovely university of can't tackle, can't cover, and can't hold up a defensive line, Virginia Tech.
    09-14-10 09:57 AM
    Every RIM ad for the past year plus has been consumer focused...remember their All You Need is Love campaign? Oh and the whole U2 sponsorship?

Now I don't know why you'd be watching the VMA's instead of football but whatever.
    Yeah, why do they need to advertise BES services?
    09-14-10 09:58 AM
    Yeah, why do they need to advertise BES services?
    They really don't have any reason to, anyone interested in integrating smartphones in their business already know what it is.

Plus the push for the consumer market makes more sense, consumers are more likely to spend more money over the long run, companies tend to only replace their phones when they absolutely have to.
    09-14-10 10:02 AM

Granted I wasn't watching it because it was the first Sunday of the NFL season, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't read about it the next day.

....I also watch Jersey Shore. Nothing wrong with having a guilty pleasure, oh and I also hold a degree in economics and statistics from the lovely university of can't tackle, can't cover, and can't hold up a defensive line, Virginia Tech.
    I watched the games at 1 & 4 and started watching some of the late game but wanted to see said VMA's so switched it over. ACC eh? I have one from the best College Basketball program in the nation... UNC.

Back to the topic, RIM has been expanding it's target audience for a while. There are tons of BBM ads up all over the country. And honestly with all the stars that carry BlackBerry's, the VMA's was a great place to advertise. The VMA's had 11.4 Million viewers. That's more than 2 times the amount of viewers of regular shows that air weekly. Smart move.
    09-14-10 10:06 AM
    I watched the games at 1 & 4 and started watching some of the late game but wanted to see said VMA's so switched it over. ACC eh? I have one from the best College Basketball program in the nation... UNC.

Back to the topic, RIM has been expanding it's target audience for a while. There are tons of BBM ads up all over the country. And honestly with all the stars that carry BlackBerry's, the VMA's was a great place to advertise. The VMA's had 11.4 Million viewers. That's more than 2 times the amount of viewers of regular shows that air weekly. Smart move.
    I agree it's smart. There was no way I was gonna turn away from football on Sunday night though...being a metro DC resident, I had to watch my Skins play.

Anyway, I think it's beginning to work a little bit. RIM has gotten some help with free advertising lately. I've heard some songs that mention Blackberries and BBM which certainly helps...especially considering that it's, you know, free advertising.
    09-14-10 10:20 AM

Unfortunately I also live it.
    09-14-10 10:36 AM
    ever since the bad press about the poor sales on the Torch launch, RIM has put a lot of money into advertising. So its not like BB is popular RIM is a company that is trying to make up for the crappy to no advertising done prior to the launch. I bet you RIM gave a way Torch's in the celeb swag bags just to get the phone out there more. Sorry doesn't make BB more popular. Look at Danger they did that with the sidekick gave it away to celebs and advertised in the 16-25yo markets to get it out there.

The Torch is not all that but hey, RIM's a company that needs to make money and they did what any company would do. Advertise on an award show
    09-14-10 10:42 AM
    In what way? The Storm has a beautiful screen, great text/messaging, good social contacts & IM, Great Music/Photo media (lacking in the video department)...sounds like the almost "perfect" consumer device to me.
    Great?
    09-14-10 11:53 AM
    I think the point is while the majority of people believe it's a business oriented device, this shows RIM trying to expand their base. Lot's of their commercials lately surely aren't advertised at white collar users. No need to be rude.
    My point was, it doesn't prove anything. I can't help it if you found that rude.

Great?
    +1
    09-14-10 12:03 PM
    This thread is pointless. Sorry I stopped in here.
    +1

10 chars.
    09-14-10 12:08 PM
    Anyone see the VMA's (Video Music Awards) last night?

Sponsored by BlackBerry, with BlackBerry ads all the way through focused on BBM for surfers, low rider fans, etc. One key point was "If I send you a BBM and haven't replied, I can tell you've read it. I love that!". Little BBM messages all the way through between Much Music producers in various locations "I love ... thisperson/thatperson", "So cool ..." etc.

Hardly aimed at the business audience, now is it? Unless of course those business users also have lives outside of work and would like one device to handle it all? Nah - couldn't be, say all you die hard Berrians.

Puh-leeze no more "Blackberries are for business and not consumers". Nobody else is listening any more. Not even RIM.

- R.
    This is silly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-10 12:14 PM
    Too Little, too late.

Call it what you want, but all Apple needs to do is just show ONE "App for that" commercial, and watch all those young impressionable BB users look at their curves, Storms and Torches and say to themselves, "Why can't I find an App for that?". I know I did looking at my Storm a couple of months ago.

RIM is focusing too much time and energy on BBM, while many people out there already have unlimited txt messaging in the first place, including Yahoo, MSN, AOL. With Smartphones on the rise, the ability to send links to youtube videos, pictures and other multimedia content via text messaging through your carriers service, as opposed to some proprietary service, has become more common and second natured, that the need to advertise a redundant feature on a Blackberry is just plain dumb. It works in the Business sector, but it's useless at the Mall, or Jane's party on Friday night.

APPS

APPS

APPS

You want customers, give them APPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one of the reasons why Apple and Manufacturers using the Android OS are swimming in green.

Build it, and they will come.
    09-14-10 12:23 PM
    Too Little, too late.

Call it what you want, but all Apple needs to do is just show ONE "App for that" commercial, and watch all those young impressionable BB users look at their curves, Storms and Torches and say to themselves, "Why can't I find an App for that?". I know I did looking at my Storm a couple of months ago.

RIM is focusing too much time and energy on BBM, while many people out there already have unlimited txt messaging in the first place, including Yahoo, MSN, AOL. With Smartphones on the rise, the ability to send links to youtube videos, pictures and other multimedia content via text messaging through your carriers service, as opposed to some proprietary service, has become more common and second natured, that the need to advertise a redundant feature on a Blackberry is just plain dumb. It works in the Business sector, but it's useless at the Mall, or Jane's party on Friday night.

APPS

APPS

APPS

You want customers, give them APPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one of the reasons why Apple and Manufacturers using the Android OS are swimming in green.

I agree for all things in life except my S2. Apps on my phone is like a screen door on a submarine. I have the 10 apps I need/want.
    09-14-10 12:48 PM
    I agree it's smart. There was no way I was gonna turn away from football on Sunday night though...being a metro DC resident, I had to watch my Skins play.

Anyway, I think it's beginning to work a little bit. RIM has gotten some help with free advertising lately. I've heard some songs that mention Blackberries and BBM which certainly helps...especially considering that it's, you know, free advertising.
    Metro DC eh? I've been working in the DMV for the past 6 months.. Damn that traffic... Anyhow yes RIM is getting better at advertising.
    09-14-10 12:52 PM
    I agree for all things in life except my S2. Apps on my phone is like a screen door on a submarine. I have the 10 apps I need/want.
    That's probably the only 10 apps on the market worth something. Question is how many are real apps and not things to provide something like a short cut functionality like quick pull...lol

Just because you don't need it doesn't mean that others don't. Obviously there is a market for them and Google, Apple, and app developers are making a lot of money from it.
    09-14-10 04:05 PM
    Too Little, too late.

APPS

APPS

APPS

Google does not get it's money from the "Android" OS. They have a very similar mind-set @ Linux.. they GIVE it away, and alot of the applications are 100% free.

anyway you at least hit the outer ring of the target board...
    09-14-10 04:38 PM
    Didn't see any BB commericals. Just Verizon's Samsung Galaxy phone. Ipad commericals. Nothing else. I was also zipping through. Previously recorded on DVR>
    09-14-10 10:31 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD