I try to follow as much as I can when it comes to the wireless industry and am appalled at the joint effort put forth by Bell, Telus and Rogers when it comes to the website: fairforcanada.ca. They are in hopes that they can "dupe" the general public into thinking this is a poor idea. The nonsense discussed about keeping jobs in Canada is a "crock"!! If you think the main 3 providers have not outsourced, pull your head from the sand as it's been happening for years!

We as Canadians have been grinded for years by absurd fees charged by the BIG 3 as they are all in agreement and just play the manipulation card amongst one another with the consumer paying the "fixed" price. When small start ups happen (Clearnet and Fido), they were just forced to sell by means of the BIG 3 lowering their prices "temporarily" until they could acquire the small player.

Then comes WIND Mobile. The BIG 3 were concerned despite lack of coverage because this was a company backed by funding neither of the BIG 3 could afford to mess with. Instead, the BIG 3 mess with WIND through legal means and foreign ownership drama which causes a huge legal battle costing money which could have been invested in "us", the consumers. Did the BIG 3 concern themselves about our well being then? Nope! More concern was put on controlling larger profits and continually screwing the consumer.

Now there is Verizon! A company which is 4 to 6 times the size of the combined Canadian wireless industry. With deep pockets, this is a 4th player we all need and one which understands the industry and will not allow the horse and pony games our Canadian BIG 3 are so well versed at doing.

The BIG 3 complain on their video about fairness but they have yet to be fair to the ones who put them in the financial position as it currently stands (us the consumer). Plans only started to streamline and become cost effective for consumers over the last 18 months and it was due to the "small players". The BIG 3 are simply trying to brainwash the average consumer into thinking it's a poor issue which will cost them dearly and this simply is not the case.

I just thought I would rant a bit as I found this website and all the commercials I'm hearing very disrespectful. The BIG 3 think they can play the "smoke and mirrors" game to make it seem like there's competition when really, all sub brands are another flow of income for them. They have been screwing the consumer long enough!!!

It's also amazing how they say it will affect the taxpayer but in reality, if not mistaken, the government has given spectrum to the BIG 3 throughout their time in the market not to mention have exclusively provided contracts and money for expansion of networks. If not mistaken, there was recently a commercial Telus put out talking about the 1700KM or so of network expansion they are doing with the co-operation of our local Government which broken down means the financial support through means of taxpayer money.

I for one welcome the entry of Verizon Wireless to Canada! It will only help the consumer while putting a door stop on the BIG 3 from being able to control the market as they have for the last 2 decades!
    08-07-13 02:10 AM
    Verizon is one of the most expensive carriers in the Us. Now mind you they are worth it as they have the best network, AND ATT pretty much matches them pricewise, or vice versa, when one does something the other matches. What Verizon and ATT do pretty much match what your Big Three do to Canada. Don't expect Verizon's arrival to help all that much. At least in MHO!
    00stryder likes this.
    08-07-13 08:26 AM
    Verizon is one of the most expensive carriers in the Us. Now mind you they are worth it as they have the best network, AND ATT pretty much matches them pricewise, or vice versa, when one does something the other matches. What Verizon and ATT do pretty much match what your Big Three do to Canada. Don't expect Verizon's arrival to help all that much. At least in MHO!
    I understand where you're coming from and Verizons entry into Canada will create a 4th TRUE national player. The downside as you mentioned is if they [Verizon] wanted, a quad-opoly could be formed with all 4 players dominating and price fixing the market which would in turn be the final twist of the knife for consumers.

My thinking though is with a 4th national player such as Verizon, their customer base, the potential of creating some great roaming packages and finally their deep deep pockets, this will keep the BIG 3 in check! With the BIG 3 aware that Verizon could essentially CRUSH them if needed (like the BIG 3 have been doing to our entrants), it will be a WIN WIN for consumers in my opinion. Now I know it will take some time (possibly years) for Verizon to build out to even compare to the network we currently have with the BIG 3 but just knowing they have the financial resources to do so and cannot be bullied is a happy though!
    08-07-13 01:30 PM
    I understand where you're coming from and Verizons entry into Canada will create a 4th TRUE national player. The downside as you mentioned is if they [Verizon] wanted, a quad-opoly could be formed with all 4 players dominating and price fixing the market which would in turn be the final twist of the knife for consumers.

My thinking though is with a 4th national player such as Verizon, their customer base, the potential of creating some great roaming packages and finally their deep deep pockets, this will keep the BIG 3 in check! With the BIG 3 aware that Verizon could essentially CRUSH them if needed (like the BIG 3 have been doing to our entrants), it will be a WIN WIN for consumers in my opinion. Now I know it will take some time (possibly years) for Verizon to build out to even compare to the network we currently have with the BIG 3 but just knowing they have the financial resources to do so and cannot be bullied is a happy though!
    They built out the LTE network with amazing speed.
    00stryder likes this.
    08-07-13 01:46 PM
    I would even go so far as to argue that Verizon entering the Canadian market would raise prices for consumers even more. Verizon has been a top gun in the US for several years now, and actually one of the biggest offenders of charging its users exorbitant fees (AT&T is only slightly worse, as was seen with BlackBerry Bridge.) Verizon's never been afraid to flex its muscles, and even go so far as to boast that they're expensive because they're the best (which is true). I don't know what it was like when they first started, but nowadays they don't act like they have any intention of being more competitive on behalf of the consumers.

For that reason, I can see their entering the Canadian market as a play to snatch as many customers as possible, so that they can further boast that they have the best coverage in North America. Will they achieve this via competitive pricing? I don't think it's likely; they have the money and means to build the infrastructure, arguably faster than the Canadian Big Three are deploying LTE speeds on cross-country, and they will likely use that to entice consumers to their network. Basically, I think if Verizon were to expand to Canada, they'd come with guns in hand rather than a peace offering.

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    08-07-13 01:52 PM
    They built out the LTE network with amazing speed.
    What he said, lol

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    08-07-13 01:52 PM
    I am all about supporting Canadian companies but the poor me thing with the big three is such a joke. Like the OP said, they have been ripping us off for years. I personally welcome whatever American company enters North of the border. I hope cheaper cell phone service is in our future.

BlackBerry Z10- I use it for a phone and a computer
    08-07-13 09:16 PM