"Senate committee report excoriates Air Force for IT incompetence ERP system effort becomes 'cautionary tale' for bad project management."

Read about it here
    Last edited by zocster; 07-22-14 at 12:26 AM.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    07-21-14 09:05 PM
    Wow is this like the turning of the tide? These reports coming out that are damning IOS and androids this few days.

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-21-14 09:19 PM
    Not sure where to move it hmm off topic or iOS?
    07-21-14 09:22 PM
    Problem is US and worldwide governments are not going to prop up BB whilst it is still looking like a bad investment with hardware that is near obsolete in the next financial year/s.

Corporations alone cant.

All them BIS subscriptions are falling...

Blackberry still refuses to focus on 7 billion consumers!
    07-21-14 09:24 PM
    Not sure where to move it hmm off topic or iOS?

Cant be iOS, that be a sin. Your sin schedule is full for the month
    zocster likes this.
    07-21-14 09:25 PM
    Wow is this like the turning of the tide? These reports coming out that are damning IOS and androids this few days.

Posted via CB10
    Bad decision making and costing US taxpayers tons of money to get really nothing out of it.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 09:29 PM
    Problem is US and worldwide governments are not going to prop up BB whilst it is still looking like a bad investment with hardware that is near obsolete in the next financial year/s.
    You're kidding right, if anything... governments prefer to buy non-cutting edge hardware. They don't want an octa-core, 4k-display hodgepodge of poorly-integrated bleeding edge spec hardware. They just want something that can be bought with support for 7 years or whatever the expected item lifetime is.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 09:33 PM

Corporations alone cant.

All them BIS subscriptions are falling...

Blackberry still refuses to focus on 7 billion consumers!
    Really? The facts state that US and world governments (G8+), large corporations and regulated markets say otherwise.

Focusing on ultra competitive consumer market with not much money to work with right now will send BlackBerry to oblivion. BlackBerry, its Board, shareholders and their enterprise clients will not be taking your calls.

Keep Calm.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 09:34 PM
    Bad decision making and costing US taxpayers tons of money to get really nothing out of it.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately that's the norm of many government when it comes to wasting tax payers money. Let's hope the air force realize soon enough to make a quick changes instead of dragging it out and stubbornly insisting they made the correct decision.

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-21-14 09:35 PM
    You're kidding right, if anything... governments prefer to buy non-cutting edge hardware. They don't want an octa-core, 4k-display hodgepodge of poorly-integrated bleeding edge spec hardware. They just want something that can be bought with support for 7 years or whatever the expected item lifetime is.

Posted via CB10
    I believe the process of granting contracts to companies by the government is more complicated than that. It's more than comparing specs among the bidders. Beside the obvious cost, efficiency and functionality. There are other factors behind closed door. Politics, relationship, incentive provided to the contract provider.

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-21-14 09:45 PM
    I don't think governments and corporations care about cutting edge specs.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 09:59 PM
    So, does this program have anything to do with the procurement of smartphones?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    07-21-14 10:02 PM
    So, does this program have anything to do with the procurement of smartphones?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Good question.
    07-21-14 10:46 PM
    I don't see why not.
    07-22-14 12:10 AM
    They switched from BlackBerry to iPhone and...

"Senate committee report excoriates Air Force for IT incompetence ERP system effort becomes 'cautionary tale' for bad project management."

Read about it here
    This article is about an "off the shelf" ERP Solution from Oracle, nothing about phones
    07-22-14 12:21 AM
    Ok the quote from the other website saying they switched bla bla bla has been removed, now discuss away ...
    07-22-14 12:27 AM
    Have a heart guys? Any system development on this scale in this particular area is doomed to failure for many reasons but the main one being security.

I can just imagine the conversation with the chief systems analyst?

"we would like you to develop a new global system"
    "what do you want it to achieve?"
    "sorry can't tell you that"

Hence the hundreds of individual bespoke systems involved in the present overall system used. As part of the current system the part bb played in the past had one major advantage in this arena that they have now lost and that was security. Cost effective communications of any kind through a secure network anywhere in the world. The general public who owned bb handsets and companies with a BES server enjoyed this same level of security without ever being aware of it. Since the advent of bb10 which to all intent and purpose is an android offspring, the security aspect of BES and bb handsets has been reduced to the level of sardines being sealed in a tin and having a can opener attached to the can. To the individual it makes no difference generally speaking. To a company its a concern but one that cannot be addressed because of no cost effective system that's tried and tested. The the defence department it is a major major issue that will take a long time to resolve and unfortunately will consume many more $billions yet to come.

I can't comment about the air force systems and solutions but from my personal experience I have few if any complaints regarding the systems I use on a daily basis so in my world I like to keep things simple like I am, "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Oh apart from the accounts package part of the system which point blank refuses to give me a sufficiently high enough pay rise.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    07-22-14 07:10 AM
    "she said its not Air Force One"
    07-23-14 08:02 PM