This reminds me of the backlash a few months ago when someone posted BB10 wouldn't be out in 2012. I forget, what happened that time? Oh yeah, now I remember, the OP in that case was RIGHT!

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...2012-a-731529/
    Faulty analogy my friend. Things like this have been said in the past all the time - some came out to be right, some not. Just because one was right, we cannot assume all are right, or that this one will be right.
    Toodeurep and Bobcat665 like this.
    08-31-12 08:43 AM
    Just because YOU havent seen it, doesnt make it vaporware. BB10 may never come to market (severely unlikely) but the devices and software do exist. There are many people that have physically handled the devices, and used them.
    Forgive me for being skeptical, given past experience with RIM's letdowns.

The main point of this thread is that there will be a further delay, which is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities. Having said that, I hope the OP's source and I are wrong.

Its like the battered wife that keeps getting promises that he'll change but never does. At some point, she will no longer believe what he says unless she sees it with her own eyes.
    08-31-12 08:56 AM
    I spent 2 hours on the phone with RIM last evening.

I got lots of words.

No delays and watch out for the Blade!
    See, now this is what grabs my attention. The only thing that irks me through all of this is not the delays, the rumours, etc. Its the lack of BASIC info, for the sake of the consumer to allow them to plan what they should do with their hard earned cash and when. I wouldn't mind a BB10 querty phone, I'd rather have the full touch BB10 above that, but I am in love with my torch and I feel like its the best of both worlds and a great option, and a BB10 slider would be my device of choice, hands down.

What I'm saying is I don't need full specs, I don't need leaks, I don't need pics or anything like that. I just want to know if there is a plan to even MAKE a slider option, and I will hold out for that or plan for the purchase of a second device at full cost after picking up one of the first ones at launch. "There will be a touch version, and a querty version a few weeks after, and another high end model mid-year" was the info given. Another high-end device mid-year? What, a transporter beam that can allow me to beam back to the mothership? A nuclear powered PlayBook? A BlackBerry Volvo? The Blade (or rather the realistic iteration of it) would be perfect. I'd even give RIM my money for two dfifferent devices, as long as I knew it was coming. Just a few basic helpful details would be nice, that's all I'm saying.
    Last edited by crackedup77; 08-31-12 at 08:59 AM.
    08-31-12 08:57 AM
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRte0S2a_dA[/YT]
    spike12, dbugem, Dapper37 and 1 others like this.
    08-31-12 09:04 AM
    PK, you just made my morning! These threads are very entertaining and humorous to a point. Point being people have a lot on there hands to crank stuff out. BB10 is going to rock and if everyone relaxes and lets them get it out it will be worth the wait. Everyone needs to start posting the good stuff about being able to thumb your nose at all the nay sayers that will be jumping back to grab one when released.

RIM has the talent, resources and experience to do it. Who invented the smartphone?
    STAY tuned for the end of the story.
    08-31-12 09:22 AM
    the word came from a RIM employee that is a good personal friend. Hey, shoot my post down, it doesn't really matter, when it comes, then don't be crying. I'm already sad with the news already. I'll still chug along and wait like everyone else and hope for something more than my fruity phone.

BTW....I seriously hope she's wrong....she wasn't wrong when they delayed OS2.
    Well, just read your post again. You're all over the place and full of more gloom and doom-which is old news around here. You're bored, now tired of the "fruity" iphone that you purchased. You want to jump ship back to BlackBerry, while condemning the iphone(lol, nice, but dumb move) while slamming the Torch and qwerty keyboard and yet talk about the good OS to come with BB10. You're not a potential fanboy. Your post sounds like you're just a potential fan. Just get a Trac phone, wait it out til' March(what is another two months?), and buy all the RIMM stock you can while it's cheap.
    dbugem, Cesare21 and esk369 like this.
    08-31-12 09:33 AM
    Friend at RIM has had his hands on the device.

He couldn't go into details. he said it's amazing.

There's been no indication that there's going to be any further delay and RIM is already showcasing completed devices to carriers. Thor himself has claimed he's already made his main device the new BB10 phone.

RIM never claimed it would be out in January. every mention of January has quickly been rehashed to "1st quarter".

If it's not Jan though, RIM is going to be missing the boat.
    dbugem and esk369 like this.
    08-31-12 09:44 AM
    I spent 2 hours on the phone with RIM last evening.

I got lots of words.

No delays and watch out for the Blade!
    if you're talkign about this concept phone

TAKE MY MONEY RIM!

However, I was led to believe that this isn't the designs. Neither phone sounds like it.

From what i've heard, the fillscreen phone will be similar to the playbook/alpha devices. (though could be my friend throwing me a curveball for s and giggles).

Also, we know that the qwerty phone isn't gonig to be a full screen phone. 720x720 resolution means it's likely to be more in line with the BOLD design queues and smaller screen than a slider.

The fullscreen non hardware keyboard phone is known to have well, no hardware keyboard, so no slider.

However

if this blade phone ever comes out.

I am buying it. it's the best lookign concept phone I have ever seen

See, now this is what grabs my attention. The only thing that irks me through all of this is not the delays, the rumours, etc. Its the lack of BASIC info, for the sake of the consumer to allow them to plan what they should do with their hard earned cash and when. I wouldn't mind a BB10 querty phone, I'd rather have the full touch BB10 above that, but I am in love with my torch and I feel like its the best of both worlds and a great option, and a BB10 slider would be my device of choice, hands down.

What I'm saying is I don't need full specs, I don't need leaks, I don't need pics or anything like that. I just want to know if there is a plan to even MAKE a slider option, and I will hold out for that or plan for the purchase of a second device at full cost after picking up one of the first ones at launch. "There will be a touch version, and a querty version a few weeks after, and another high end model mid-year" was the info given. Another high-end device mid-year? What, a transporter beam that can allow me to beam back to the mothership? A nuclear powered PlayBook? A BlackBerry Volvo? The Blade (or rather the realistic iteration of it) would be perfect. I'd even give RIM my money for two dfifferent devices, as long as I knew it was coming. Just a few basic helpful details would be nice, that's all I'm saying.

This is my biggest beef with RIM in this whole fiasco. They're trying to play the uber super secret game, keeping their mouths shut and leaking nothing. RIM isn't doing great right now. it's a given. So why is RIM being so super quiet, allowing speculation occur, especially negative speculation, without really showing things off.

If I were RIM. I'd be teasing the real hardware specs of BB10. i'd have "leaked" roadmaps of the entirety of next years phones. I would be doing whatever I bloody well could to generate possitive Buzz. make people look and go WOW I WANT THAT!. the general consumer (us) have seen absolutely nothing but the 5 or 6 product shots of BB10's homescreens. A quick "demo" sandboxed video of the gestures, and some buzzwords during keynotes. For anyone who hasn't seen a device in person, BB10 is still effectively vapourware.

This constant lack of information and possitive buzz generation leaves open a huge possibility of this kidn of thread. Bad speculation, that could potentially send rumour around the internet. RIM needs to put a stop to it.

Heck, APPLE doesn't even play the Apple secrecy game anymore. We all already know months ahead of time what the iphone5 is going to basically bring.

And yet, after 2 years... RIM still believes it's better to let speculation fly than to share. if the blade phone IS in the plans, RIM needs to tease it. They NEED to start teasing the actual BB10 devices NOW. and Get buzz going. Nobody is going to line up to buy the phones in January if they don't even know what the phones are going to be untill then!
    Last edited by Sprawl; 08-31-12 at 10:01 AM.
    08-31-12 09:54 AM
    Well, just read your post again. You're all over the place and full of more gloom and doom-which is old news around here. You're bored, now tired of the "fruity" iphone that you purchased. You want to jump ship back to BlackBerry, while condemning the iphone(lol, nice, but dumb move) while slamming the Torch and qwerty keyboard and yet talk about the good OS to come with BB10. You're not a potential fanboy. Your post sounds like you're just a potential fan. Just get a Trac phone, wait it out til' March(what is another two months?), and buy all the RIMM stock you can while it's cheap.
    Hey I'm not here to add more gloom and doom. In fact, as I said before I never like the bb phones before when I tried. I was never a fan nor any sort. Yes I did like the iphone and just saying that I am bored with it now. In fact if I was to sum it up, I'm a convert to bb as I enjoy my pb. As for me giving positives for bb10, yes that is true, because I've been converted with my PB, I think it's a fair statement. So unless, you don't think that I people can be converted, well that's a different story. I'm not a story of the prodigal son who wants to come back, I am a one who was enlightened, not by existing bb phones, but for the one that is turn it around. I in fact am a big supporter of the competition. When intel was big and still is I supported AMD for the longest time, and before that I supported Cyrix as well. I did say I am waiting it out like many of you, I was looking forward to it this year and was quite dissapointed when it was delayed which I was told through my same source. I hope she's wrong again, but my post was merely to suggest that anyone thinking it was January was up for dissapointment. Yes March is just another 2 more months, and it's still in Q1 which was later broadened from the so called January launch. Hey, if I'm wrong I'll be glad that I am, it would mean I just get it sooner.
    spike12 likes this.
    08-31-12 10:00 AM
    I remember the first time I got word...
    Ya me too. Good times, good times. . . . . .
    08-31-12 10:09 AM
    I remember the first time I got word...
    If you had more than 24 posts, people would listen.

WORD UP.
    08-31-12 10:39 AM
    I just got word today...
    The only "word" I would accept on this matter is someone in carrier relations at RIM or at a carrier who is directly involved in the acceptance testing and / or marketing efforts, because the carriers will be the final arbiter of when it is available, not RIM, even if bb10 is gold from RIM's perspective, the carriers are the conduit.

Does your friend work in that group at RIM or at a carrier?

EDIT: we're all posting fun videos now! I want to play!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r19HvybIzI[/YT]
    Last edited by lorax1284; 08-31-12 at 02:08 PM.
    08-31-12 10:53 AM
    Faulty analogy my friend. Things like this have been said in the past all the time - some came out to be right, some not. Just because one was right, we cannot assume all are right, or that this one will be right.
    My point was about the abuse the OP is getting, especially the comments about how many posts he has therefore can't trust him.

S180, I trust your comments and Sith's comments more than just about anyone on this board. I don't think the OP is correct, but the method of bashing him, especially when people looked really foolish for the same thing not too long ago is what I object to.
    08-31-12 10:58 AM
    Speculation... speculation....speculatation..... It is what makes the world go around....

Depending on a number of factors.... probabaly more to do with hardware production.... could very well be the case depending on the supply chain..... that is why they "projected" Q1 2013... not Jan. Feb. March or April 2013....

Rather see a late finished product than a rushed "cucified" product... besides... lets get real... it is a smartphone... If your life is going to be ruined because a phone does not come out on time... maybe it is time to find another life....
    Blacklatino and Cesare21 like this.
    08-31-12 11:03 AM
    Word to your mother ...
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjAantupsA[/YT]
    08-31-12 11:06 AM
    Creating accurate software development schedules is challenging... but here's why I don't think "March 2013" is a credible figure.

With 4 months left in the development schedule, and the kind of features in the Roadmap for implementation, where everything was "on schedule" at last check, the kinds of issues you run into using popular software development techniques can be summed up as "it's done when it's done." I don't mean to say that software development is completely mysterious and unknowable, but there is an aspect to software development that is pure "Research" and you have to research different approaches before you find the best fit. Research can be open ended, depending on how good a solution your first attempts turn out to be.

So, if you're at 4 months before rumoured "gold code" (RTM, gold master, release... there are many names for "the thing we are calling done") and it's going to slip, it's going to slip because you don't KNOW how long the code you're writing is going to take to complete, not because you KNOW it's going to be exactly two months more... and you make a "slip" statement to hedge your bets. I'm sure we have all worked on projects where the thing we thought would be hard was easy, which shortens your timetable YAY but then you hit that thing you thought would be easy that's actually hard and BOO slippage... if you're LUCKY, the YAYs outnumber and outweigh the BOOs but where research is involved, that's the way it works.

I think a lot of criticism of Jim's and Mike's predictions were because they were tempted to present a picture of their development process where this was not a factor.

The only way it's not a factor is if you spend infinite time before hand flowcharting every minute detail of the logic, then when you write code, it's just a matter of translating the flow into code, but who can afford to do THAT anymore, in terms of resources (time and money) and in the face of competition who is NOT doing it that way.

So, I'd believe "slip" issued in November more than I'd believe "slip to end of March 2013" issued in August. A SKILLED, professional software development project manager will not instill doubt in management unduly: they would wait a judicious amount of time when the schedule starts to look "at risk"-y, then call the lead developers together for a candid assessment, THEN issue a "slip" warning to management... but they should absolutely positively NOT issue a "slip 'til x" statement, UNLESS IT'S ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY THE LAST SLIP (as Jim and Mike learned to their cost) as in "we just need a couple more weeks to finish ACTUALLY WRITING THE CODE for which we have a solid design already."

Now, that's said without knowing which specific software development philosophy in play at RIM, but I can tell you, I've been involved in projects where the absolutely wrong model was used and what AGONY that was, and what a mess the deliverable was, and as far as BB10 is concerned, late is better than crappy.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 08-31-12 at 02:08 PM.
    08-31-12 11:25 AM
    08-31-12 01:02 PM
    Hey I'm not here to add more gloom and doom. In fact, as I said before I never like the bb phones before when I tried. I was never a fan nor any sort. Yes I did like the iphone and just saying that I am bored with it now. In fact if I was to sum it up, I'm a convert to bb as I enjoy my pb. As for me giving positives for bb10, yes that is true, because I've been converted with my PB, I think it's a fair statement. So unless, you don't think that I people can be converted, well that's a different story. I'm not a story of the prodigal son who wants to come back, I am a one who was enlightened, not by existing bb phones, but for the one that is turn it around. I in fact am a big supporter of the competition. When intel was big and still is I supported AMD for the longest time, and before that I supported Cyrix as well. I did say I am waiting it out like many of you, I was looking forward to it this year and was quite dissapointed when it was delayed which I was told through my same source. I hope she's wrong again, but my post was merely to suggest that anyone thinking it was January was up for dissapointment. Yes March is just another 2 more months, and it's still in Q1 which was later broadened from the so called January launch. Hey, if I'm wrong I'll be glad that I am, it would mean I just get it sooner.
    Nothing personal, but, certain comments perpetuate the kiddie-ish that has been going on for awhile here on CrackBerry. If you don't want your iPhone, like the Torch, or a qwerty keyboard- ok. But, we're all waiting for RIM to release the models and the anticipation/excitement will build as time goes by and launch date gets closer. Whether or not the BlackBerries are delayed is irrelevant to me. I'll get one and I have no need or anxiety to get the 1st BlackBerry sold in my area. Been there, done that, four BlackBerries ago. The problem is when ppl post ish about other platforms (iPhone, Android, etc..) because some assume there is a higher acceptance when talking down other platforms. Don't believe the hype. Your topic- which could end up being true gets lost when ish that is irrelevant is posted about other platforms that similar to pouring gasoline on the thread that is the continuation of another thread, and another, etc,.....that simply keeps the "school-yard" ish going and does nothing to endure anyone to/from BlackBerry.
    08-31-12 01:50 PM
    And when RIM does release it in early Q1, or whenever we can say.....

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FPimCmbX8&feature=related[/YT]
    08-31-12 01:57 PM
    Now that we have turn this in to a fun, light hearted thread lets move it in to CrackBerry Rehab and away from the serious discussions.
    08-31-12 01:59 PM

Hey man, chill. I can't say for certain where, but there was some post/thread/news about the BB10 slider coming mid 2013. You might want to wait though, cuz even I'll be waiting for the slider.
    08-31-12 02:18 PM
    T.H. Said that BB10 both soft and hard ware only got pushed back two months. So the latest we could have them is Feb. Don't be listening or worrying about thing without words from RIM themselfs
    08-31-12 02:26 PM
    pkable, they'll be singing in the streets:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Titli1iBA[/YT]
    Last edited by spike12; 08-31-12 at 02:46 PM.
    pkcable likes this.
    08-31-12 02:40 PM
    Well OP I believe you because I have no faith in this company meeting a deadline at all. I opined that if BBM was not on the 4g Playbook (which I still have no idea why released without BBM or 2.1) and due to the Dev alpha being released as late as May having a modified version of OS2 not BB10 that there was no way a final version could be released before the holiday season not to mention Q1 2013. What also scares me is that every other manufacturer at some point gives a definite release date of their products and not a vague 3-6 month timetable to confuse current or potential customers unless you have no idea when or if the product will be released. Also what people fail to realize is that it will take an enormous amount of money to market BB10 which is probably why it will be first released in a region where RIM can compete and with only 2.2 billion vs the Scrooge McDuck money Google, Apple and Microsoft have Rim is going to need a bigger boat! I just hope it's as bug free as possible because every new OS is a work in progress even after it's introduced.
    I don't even know where to start with this one....

How about I start with the Dev Alpha. I'm pretty certain that the Dev Alpha was released with a modified PB OS because RIM doesn't want to give away all their secrets and surprises 8-10 months before BB10 is released. They offered an Device/OS that is capable of running apps that are made for BB10. Not to be rude, but the fact that you can't see this makes me really just want to ignore the rest of your post, but I can't....

Please, tell me one company in the entire technology world (not just mobile) that will give a specific release date nearly a year in advance. Now, look at the mobile space and tell me a company that will give a specific release date anymore than 2-3 months out. Aside from Microsoft giving a release date for Windows 8 (which has Windows Phone 8 implications), I can't think of any company that gives more than a vague window even 4-5 weeks out. In the mobile space, a company isn't fully capable of guarenteeing a release date until about a month before release. There are too many hardware and software issues that can come up, many times coming from outside sources.
    08-31-12 02:46 PM
    While there is no official word on this why is anyone in here going to be surprised if it is in fact true? I can't remember a single time in the last several years that RIM has made a deadline. Its already pathetic that we have to wait until next year, but another delay would be catastrophic for RIM, even if its only a couple of months.
    Two reasons I would be surprised by a later than Jan/EARLY Feb release of BB10 are:
    1) As you said, another delay would be catastrophic for RIM. Trust me when I say that RIM knows this more than anyone. They know how much cash they have on hand and how much they will need to spend to actually release BB10. They also know that they are officially in the cash depletion stage and the clock is ticking. As of now, they are okay, but they absolutely can NOT afford a delay again. I would guess that we would see an incomplete product before we see a delay.

2) Many media sites (most that are anti-RIM any chance they have) were VERY positive about their sneak peeks of BB10, both hardware and software. (I bet BGR hasn't seen it or if he has seen it refused to do a write up about it because it would be positive). Also, Kevin is always excited about new BlackBerry releases, but he is also usually pretty honest to his community. His writeup made it very clear that what he saw of BB10 was a fluid, problem-free device.

Please, find me an article where someone has been given a sneak peek and said negative things about what they saw of even hinted about a delay.
    08-31-12 02:53 PM
104 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD