Here is a news article by Bloomberg about Android threats.

Android Threats Surge With Third-Party Apps - Bloomberg

Not bashing on android. If I ever left BB, it would be for an Android device. If you are prudent with your app downloads you can manage away many threats on any device. The reason I found it interesting is that it is an article on security and it does not mention the most secure phone in the world. That's right BlackBerry. Our device of choice.
    Instead it leads with Apple, even if there has been yet another recent exposure of Apple iPhone vulnerabilities.

Apple boots security guru who exposed iPhone exploit | Apple Talk - CNET News

The above is the latest on a string of Apple vulnerabilities. However, I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. What I find interesting is that the media can create a perceived reality for consumers.

Take the iPhone 4S battery problem. Essentially, some (not all it seems) iPhone 4S devices have a problem with battery drain that can't get you through the day.

Apple's iOS5.0.1 Does *Not* Fix Battery Problems - Forbes

However, it is not more than a slap on the wrist (the consumers wrist) and Apple pretty much gets off the hook. If RIM had created a device like the 4 with antenna-gate, which did drop your calls, or the 4S which has problems with battery life pundits would be asking for the CEO's head on a stick.

The reality is that RIM finally got the memo on apps, media, and processing muscle (not just efficiency at which they have always been better). It was little noticed that the Bold 9930 and other BBs actually had 20% faster processors than the current iPhone4. For the first time BB leapfrogged apple on processor speeds. Now, the cycle is about release dates. iP4S is dual-core and the BBX phone will have 1.5Ghz (so they say) and that is 50% faster than the iP4S.

As I look at the landscape, I believe BlackBerry lovers have reason to be optimistic. The reason is that it is easier to build content that to build a security infrastructure. RIM already has inked deals with movie studios and has a store to launch BB Movies, they recently launched BBM Music and it seems it is taking hold, there is a thread on this already.
    So, when the most or only secure device with the gold standard for security and messaging actually has a better processor and equivalent content the tide will turn in BlackBerry's favor. Especially since RIM won't arbitrarily restrict apps like Apple has to increase sales of its own iBooks and iTunes.

Apple restricts eBook sales in App store | FIUSM

I don't mean to say that RIM regains the #1 spot in the U.S. but that is actually begins to take market share gains in the U.S. It already has a leading position in Great Britain and many other countries.

Google droid phones and Apple iPhones are here to stay but it is nice to see the roadmap for BlackBerry to regain its footing in the U.S. Even if the media will report it as something like:
    "Looks like RIM got lucky and has launched highly successful devices, but will it last?"
    or some other bone head comment like that.

In the end, I want RIM to be a successful company, not only because it is an ethical and socially responsible organization but because I really love their new OS7 devices and what they provide for us.

Update: 16 Nov 2011.
    Here is an example of what I said. I read this in the news today and replied but they did not post my reply. There is no substance to this just some not very intelligent conclusion that RIM is dead. Why, because the poor fellow is making the assumption that RIM is Palm. RIM has a positive cash flow and no debt. It is growing its sales (went from 50 to 70 million users) and still can't be matched on security or reliability.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3083...omments_header

It is like saying that we are the financial crisis of 2008 all over again. It is easy to see how someone that is not well informed would believe this but the fact is that it is just not so.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-16-11 at 11:05 AM.
    11-15-11 08:21 AM
    You realize that every article that you link to about problems with Android and/or iPhone are U.S. based media sources, right?

The conclusion I would draw from these sources is that they are biased against U.S. companies like Apple and Google.

Maybe RIM's problems have something to do with its products and not the media?
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    11-15-11 08:28 AM
    The title confused me a bit as the content is opposite.
    Anyhow, Its not surprising that US media is US centric. And its the same for the media.of every country.
    The Indian media reports 20 pages of Indian news and 1 page of World News. And if you go to the local newspapers, they report 10 pages of Local news, and one page of National news and half a page of world news
    They cater to their customers.
    11-15-11 08:36 AM
    You make a good point. I do think RIM fell asleep on their laurels and that created an opening for competitors. However, I'm not sure the pounding they are taking in the media would be as strong if they were a U.S. company.
    I watched a ton of CNBC reports by people that were little more than novices at their job be used as credible sources that the Playbook would be discontinued. I read the "herpes" or tablets report, which had zero reporting value and nothing but distortions about the Playbook.
    Also, I would submit that ATT's delay of the Bridge app release was at a time that really brought the viability of Bridge into question.
    Certainly I would agree that the U.S. media reports on all device manufacturers but I do see a pattern where Analysts pound on RIM and then they pull out their BB to make a call.
    I'm not saying that the media is completely against RIM but that there seems to be an unfair bias. Here is an example. I have a friend that left BB and got a droid. When I showed him my new Bold 9930 he mentioned he was tired or carrying a brick on his hip and the battery drain forced him to shut down a good deal of functionality on his device. He wanted to come back to BB but did not know if they would be in business next year.
    Honestly, how can a company that has no debt, a ton of positive cash flow and went from 50 to 70 million users worldwide go out of business?
    The net-net media on RIM is far, far worse than the reality. Sure, they did fall asleep in their laurels but going out of business? Perhaps PALM going out makes simple reporting comparisons.
    I appreciate your point though. I guess I'm tired of hearing all the negative end of the world news about RIM.

I guess the news gets reported but RIM's accomplishments are on page 10 and their problems on the front page.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-15-11 at 08:47 AM.
    11-15-11 08:41 AM
    samb_77,
    yup. The articles reporting flaws are there but they are not the majority. The vulnerabilities get reported but I do think it is kind of biased that they don't even mention RIM when talking about security.
    I think if you look at the content of the reports, when they bash RIM it seems overdone and sometimes just plain hateful with no substance to back it up.

I was in the army and I remember watching how the U.S. media reported the news and then watching how the German media reported it. The technical facts were the same but the people walking away from the reports were 99% for U.S. actions vs. 99% against based on which reports they watched.
    The fact that people are having conversations about RIM going out of business would seem silly to me given the facts but I know people that don't get BlackBerry phones because they are worried about it.
    I'm just saying...don't disagree with your points. It is a forum for discussion.
    11-15-11 09:02 AM
    Good points OP, RIM is now competing not just with Apple, Android and Windows. They are also competing against US tech media and analysts who are trying to frame opinions in readers minds through biased reporting.

I have read some of these articles and remember wondering how the reporting can be legit when there is not a word talked about RIM and half the people I know own a Blackberry.

Some customer's are no longer driven by the love of their BB brand but heavily loaded articles talking about the future of a company, diminishing brand and so on. Fear Fear!! and this seems to be working with some sadly.

I know this sounds like a conspiracy but could US have vested interests in pushing less secure devices into the market?
    houshinto#IM likes this.
    11-15-11 09:31 AM
    While there may be some media bias in the tech world against RIM..i think RIM is the only one to blame for that bias. They had been rehashing the same ol' stuff for years..and everyone got sick of it. That's not to say that media doesn't come down on other companies for their faults too however.

As the Galaxy Nexus launch hits a snag in the US, i've read a few articles blasting Google for their bungling of the release. And they are being critical because of a few weeks delay...not a 10 month delay as has been the case with PB and OS 2. On a site like Crackberry though..you're not going to see stuff like this because it's not about Blackberry. It's only when you take an interest in other platforms that you start to see the dirt on them as well.

Bottom line is, the tech media world is a harsh one. Right now it's survival of the fittest. We all want the latest and greatest, and we want envelopes pushed, not yesterday's news. And we all wanted it yesterday, not tomorrow.
    11-15-11 09:53 AM
    While there may be some media bias in the tech world against RIM..i think RIM is the only one to blame for that bias. They had been rehashing the same ol' stuff for years..and everyone got sick of it. That's not to say that media doesn't come down on other companies for their faults too however.

As the Galaxy Nexus launch hits a snag in the US, i've read a few articles blasting Google for their bungling of the release. And they are being critical because of a few weeks delay...not a 10 month delay as has been the case with PB and OS 2. On a site like Crackberry though..you're not going to see stuff like this because it's not about Blackberry. It's only when you take an interest in other platforms that you start to see the dirt on them as well.

Bottom line is, the tech media world is a harsh one. Right now it's survival of the fittest. We all want the latest and greatest, and we want envelopes pushed, not yesterday's news. And we all wanted it yesterday, not tomorrow.
    I completely agree. We are still seeing that with the release of the Bold 9790 and Curve 9860. These two devices bring absolutely nothing new to the table.
    Last edited by JD914; 11-15-11 at 02:23 PM.
    11-15-11 10:03 AM
    You make a good point. I do think RIM fell asleep on their laurels and that created an opening for competitors. However, I'm not sure the pounding they are taking in the media would be as strong if they were a U.S. company.
    I watched a ton of CNBC reports by people that were little more than novices at their job be used as credible sources that the Playbook would be discontinued. I read the "herpes" or tablets report, which had zero reporting value and nothing but distortions about the Playbook.
    Also, I would submit that ATT's delay of the Bridge app release was at a time that really brought the viability of Bridge into question.
    Certainly I would agree that the U.S. media reports on all device manufacturers but I do see a pattern where Analysts pound on RIM and then they pull out their BB to make a call.
    I'm not saying that the media is completely against RIM but that there seems to be an unfair bias. Here is an example. I have a friend that left BB and got a droid. When I showed him my new Bold 9930 he mentioned he was tired or carrying a brick on his hip and the battery drain forced him to shut down a good deal of functionality on his device. He wanted to come back to BB but did not know if they would be in business next year.
    Honestly, how can a company that has no debt, a ton of positive cash flow and went from 50 to 70 million users worldwide go out of business?
    The net-net media on RIM is far, far worse than the reality. Sure, they did fall asleep in their laurels but going out of business? Perhaps PALM going out makes simple reporting comparisons.
    I appreciate your point though. I guess I'm tired of hearing all the negative end of the world news about RIM.

I guess the news gets reported but RIM's accomplishments are on page 10 and their problems on the front page.
    I agree with your observations. However, I believe the cause has another dimension. Think back to when all this RIM bashing started. I think you'll find that is coincides very closely with the release of the first iPhone. Since then, we're seen a fairly steady stream of negative information, both real and made-up over-reported in the media. Whether it's free meals, trips and/or product or "consultation" payments, I think there exists an unholy relationship between Apple (or its contracted media company) and certain journalists. While some of this might not be expressly illegal, it is all certainly immoral. The short-sellers have been very vocal bashing the stock while at the same time making lots of money.

All of this might be considered as aggressive marketing if it were not for the financial carnage left in the wake of these questionable practices.
    11-15-11 12:13 PM

You sound like a Wall Street Exec. Wanting things bigger, better, faster, cheaper, yesterday. If you can't produce you don't survive! And I believe it's that kind of thinking and the schemes that came forth from them which drove the worlds economy into the ground.

Yeah we want progress, but too often we ignore the dangers of progressing too fast and we end up shooting ourselves in the foot.

And you also give RIM too much credit. They don't have enough resources to orchestrate media bias against them. No company can be fully responsible for how they are judged in the MSM.
    Last edited by Houshinto; 11-15-11 at 12:33 PM.
    11-15-11 12:26 PM
    I agree with your observations. However, I believe the cause has another dimension. Think back to when all this RIM bashing started. I think you'll find that is coincides very closely with the release of the first iPhone. Since then, we're seen a fairly steady stream of negative information, both real and made-up over-reported in the media. Whether it's free meals, trips and/or product or "consultation" payments, I think there exists an unholy relationship between Apple (or its contracted media company) and certain journalists. While some of this might not be expressly illegal, it is all certainly immoral. The short-sellers have been very vocal bashing the stock while at the same time making lots of money.

All of this might be considered as aggressive marketing if it were not for the financial carnage left in the wake of these questionable practices.
    It's funny, but by my recollection, RIM coverage became negative once their results began to slip, which happened to coincide with the Storm release. As I remember it, the Storm was supposed to be an iPhone killer. It wasn't, but RIM has never really recovered.

Another problem is that RIM released the Storm, Storm 2 and PlayBook, something that your alleged plot does not explain. It also doesn't work to blame the poor market performance of those products on their portrayal in the media.

There's also one more big issue: actual proof of an anti-RIM campaign by Apple would be a bigger story than anything that could be written about RIM, so why wouldn't any of these journalists report [i]that[\i] story? Trust me, it would be huge.
    11-15-11 01:49 PM
    The US media's conspiracy to cripple RIM is outright blatant.
    Aside from the print media, this conspiracy is finding its way into TV.
    I am currently watching an HBO show called The Newsroom. In the earliest episodes I was surprised to notice the actors using Blackberry products. They even went so far as to use the word "Blackberry" in there scenes. I remember thinking that this was very odd because it was an American show. The producers must have received a call from the powers that be because in future episodes they went out of there way to make the fact that the actors were using Apple products very evident. Always making sure that the Apple logo was clearly visible in many of the scenes.

The conspiracy continues.......
    08-28-12 12:31 PM
    The US media's conspiracy to cripple RIM is outright blatant.
    Aside from the print media, this conspiracy is finding its way into TV.
    I am currently watching an HBO show called The Newsroom. In the earliest episodes I was surprised to notice the actors using Blackberry products. They even went so far as to use the word "Blackberry" in there scenes. I remember thinking that this was very odd because it was an American show. The producers must have received a call from the powers that be because in future episodes they went out of there way to make the fact that the actors were using Apple products very evident. Always making sure that the Apple logo was clearly visible in many of the scenes.

The conspiracy continues.......
    That has absolutely nothing to do with a conspiracy. Companies pay to have their products placed in movies and TV shows. RIM probably just didn't pay enough money. Product placement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Product Placement In Movies & TV: From Subway To Bing To ... Subway (VIDEOS)

The 10 Most Shameless Product Placements in Movie History | Cracked.com

Top 40 Product Placements of all time: 10-1 : Brands & Films
    08-28-12 12:47 PM
    10-20-12 05:41 PM
    Usa media cares about the US AND NOBODY ELSE IN THE WORLD
    10-29-12 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD