I don't understand why this happens. It's like, they're programmed to make you wait ages until it stops traffic. I've waited over 1 minute at a set of lights to cross and I crossed not because it stopped the traffic, there was a small break so I make a quick dash through it. Even then, it was still green for traffic. It's also stupid because when I have come home from work very late a few times at night with zero traffic, I press the button at various sets of lights to stop the traffic and almost instantly turns amber, then red against traffic. Even after the lights go green, I press the button again and the trafic lights turn amber, then red against the traffic. I thought they worked by magnetism under the ground which senses traffic in a way? If it does, then it makes no sense whatsoever. They might as well make it a Zebra crossing to which motorists have to stop if there are pedestrians.

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-11 08:35 PM
    Zebras have no thumbs. Pushing the buttons would be problematic.
    08-02-11 03:03 PM
    Well if it's a pelican crossing they don't need the lights to switch. They just fly. I wonder though...how do they get the pelicans to cross there? Just like the deer crossings on the highway...how do the deer know to cross by the yellow sign?
    08-02-11 07:25 PM
    I forgot to mention, I'm from the UK where they make obnoxious names for pedestrian crossings. The only reason I can think why they called Zebra crossings that name is because the light poles and crossing area are striped black and white. There's even a Toucan crossing, I don't know what the **** that is.

08-02-11 08:31 PM
    I forgot to mention, I'm from the UK where they make obnoxious names for pedestrian crossings. The only reason I can think why they called Zebra crossings that name is because the light poles and crossing area are striped black and white. There's even a Toucan crossing, I don't know what the **** that is.

Ahhh...you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, too.
    08-02-11 08:32 PM
    So do the Japs, New Zealand, Barbados, Hong Kong, Indonesia and a few others. We often get dumb mainland European truckers going round a roundabout the wrong way. It's also trouble when you try to import a Winnebago

08-02-11 08:45 PM
    LOL at the winnebago!

I'm just messing with you, having some fun; I'm not normally contrary. But the Pelican Crossing really did give me a funny mental picture

So do the Japs, New Zealand, Barbados, Hong Kong, Indonesia and a few others. We often get dumb mainland European truckers going round a roundabout the wrong way. It's also trouble when you try to import a Winnebago

08-02-11 08:46 PM
    I know I know
    The Winnebago entrance would lead into the middle of the road here XD. I even asked my old driving instructor why they were given them names and he didn't know the answer. Either way, traffic lights seem to be bias towards vehicles.

08-02-11 08:54 PM
    Well just watch out for those pelicans...they might drop something on your head while you're crossing!
    08-02-11 09:05 PM
    Ahhh...you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, too.
    Now that was good...I needed a good laugh...
    08-02-11 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD