Next month I'm taking nearly a month off of work and doing the Trans-Siberian Railway, starting in Moscow, with a few days in Irkutsk in Siberia and Ulanbataar, Mongolia. Finally I'll end up in Beijing after nearly a full week on a train.

Since I will be carrying my company and personal Blackberry devices, I figured I'd do the following to keep my BB geek cred up:

Twitter (of course) with TwitPic (when I can find a good WiFi hotspot)
    Facebook (I don't see how I can live without it!)
    Google Latitude (maybe, depending on how bandwidth intensive it is)
    Instamapper GPS update a few times a day so you can track me across Russia.

Let me know if there are apps, etc I should do while on the road...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 10:19 PM
    have fun on your trip!

traveling is a great experience and although you're going to use twitter, facebook and other apps to keep updates, you might want to go the old route as well. take a journal and a nice camera! this way, you'll have your pictures and written experiences. just my 2 cents!

either way, have fun! you're a lucky duck!
    02-05-09 12:57 AM
    I'm my Moleskine journal and two Canon digital SLRs as well.
    02-05-09 01:06 AM
    No experience with world travel, diverse BB apps, nor a serious interest in tracking you across the world (I know it sounded bad but I promise just let me finish...). But good choice on the Canon digital SLRs. I had one a few years back when I was taking photographs for an internet paintball website and I looooooooved it. Unfortunately school really kept me from continuing to pursue it. Hope you have an amazing trip though, it sounds like alot of fun and I WILL make it to Europe one day!!
    02-05-09 01:13 AM
    I promise I'll make this Blackberry related:

Links:
    Google Maps - Google Maps mashup of my trip.
    Twitter / whereishawkins - Twitter account
    Where Is Hawkins? - Instamapper web tracking.

In a way, I think that this is cool. I've used my BB all over, and it's preaching to the choir about how awesome they are.
    02-06-09 01:51 AM
    This sounds like so much fun, I'm so jealous! I'm all over your Twitter!
    02-06-09 07:16 AM
    I'll keep an eye on youe Twitter, sounds like an interesting trip!
    02-06-09 07:29 AM
    22 days to go.
    02-12-09 09:58 AM
    I would def try out Google Latitude, that would be awesome to see where youve traveled!
    02-24-09 01:58 PM
    I wish I could lucky you

03-01-09 09:31 PM
    Friday at 5pm CST I leave for Moscow, so with luck, you'll see a blog entry, some Twitter action, a GPS ping and perhaps a photo or two via TwitPic come Saturday morning in North America.
    03-02-09 12:23 PM
    Sweet. I leave tonight so 24 hours from now I should have some awesome pictures from my 8900 posted on Twitter.
    03-06-09 11:46 AM
    Have fun & be careful!
    03-06-09 02:06 PM
    In Irkutsk now. I hate to think of what my roaming charges will be.

03-14-09 06:36 PM
    Ok, so I got my bill from T-Mobile, and guess what? No roaming charges since I added unlimited international email.

I'm writing right now from Ulanbataar, Mongolia and it works just fine and dandy. I even converted 2 people from iPhones to Blackberries.
    03-19-09 05:39 AM
    Ok, so I got my bill from T-Mobile, and guess what? No roaming charges since I added unlimited international email.

I'm writing right now from Ulanbataar, Mongolia and it works just fine and dandy. I even converted 2 people from iPhones to Blackberries.
    Haha- spreading the blackberry love across the world. Nice.
    03-19-09 08:37 AM
    To add to this discussion, I've set up a self-tracking Web site to track my daily movements (includes historical data): themicrosoftarchitect.com

Where Am I Today? Where Have I Been?
    Find out where I am, or where I have been. All data based on tracking information provided via Google Gears running on a Windows smart phone.
    03-29-09 12:31 PM
    Wow how fun!
    03-29-09 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD