With all due respect to the mods here ... I'm very sorry to see that the thread from the woman who was being stalked by her boyfriend via text messaging and phone calls was locked. I know that one of the posters in that thread--you KNOW who you are--decided to criticize and mock the poor woman who was being stalked, but that is NOT a good reason for locking the thread: why not just warn the poster with an attitude problem rather than close the whole thread?

The OP came to us for help and by shutting down her thread we just locked one more door for her ... Over a thousand women in her situation are murdered each year in the U.S. I think she needs all the help she can get. No this is not a forum about stalking, but she posted here because she was being stalked THROUGH her Blackberry. Lots of people posted back advice and support so obviously many people thought the thread was relevant enough to respond to. Just because ONE person decided to attack her does not mean the whole thread should have been locked. Just treat it like any other thread where one person gets out of hand. Please consider unlocking her thread. Moderate it, don't lock it.
    Last edited by blinkstar; 01-21-09 at 01:41 AM.
    01-21-09 01:38 AM
    This was certainly not the right forum for the discussion that came of it. The OP was just a question on blocking a single number from calling in, that question was answered. I think things got out of hand and too personal for the spirit of the venue, would you host a carnival outside a funeral home? Hoping things go well, but all that was degrading quickly.
    01-21-09 02:11 AM
    While I can appreciate your point of view in regards to the fact that many individuals are are murdered each year due to stalking and other related scenarios.

The OP herself stated:

Thanks everyone for their CONSTRUCTIVE advice.

You guys are right, this has gone too far.

Goodnight!
    And again...you, yourself also stated..

Lots of people posted back advice and support so obviously many people thought the thread was relevant enough to respond to.
    Indicating the OP has indeed got the information/direction she was initially seeking and like it not...their is NOTHING anyone here can really offer other then the suggested advice given to her on numerous occasions within the post which was given almost immed., acting on said advice is entirely up to her. Why should a thread, that has nothing to do with CB really, nor anything to do with an issue that someone on CB can deal with and that has received enough feedback to make a choice on what to do next stay open?

Thread will stay locked.
    01-21-09 02:15 AM
    This was certainly not the right forum for the discussion that came of it. The OP was just a question on blocking a single number from calling in, that question was answered. I think things got out of hand and too personal for the spirit of the venue, would you host a carnival outside a funeral home? Hoping things go well, but all that was degrading quickly.

"... carnival outside a funeral home ... " That's a good line. I like that.

You make some good points but from my reading it was not the thread that got out of hand, but one poster who decided to bait/criticize the OP.
    Last edited by blinkstar; 01-21-09 at 02:26 AM.
    01-21-09 02:18 AM
    I agree with this. Everything was useful until things started to get hostile and personal. I read the entire thread and it looks like the OP got the information she was requesting (information about blocking calls/texts) and then some. At some point, it makes no sense to continue repeating the same advice and viewpoints over and over. The OP now has several options to investigate if she thinks they are in her best interest. I think it's great that so many people pitched in and offered ideas for her to mull over because she is obviously in a very rough situation and it appears that she has tried many tactics already. I hope everything gets resolved safely. Stalking is a very serious situation.
    01-21-09 02:21 AM
    While I can appreciate your point of view in regards to the fact that many individuals are are murdered each year due to stalking and other related scenarios.

The OP herself stated:

And again...you, yourself also stated..

Indicating the OP has indeed got the information/direction she was initially seeking and like it not...their is NOTHING anyone here can really offer other then the suggested advice given to her on numerous occasions withing the post which was given almost immed., acting on said advice is entirely up to her. Why should a thread, that has noting to do with CB really, nor nothing to do with an issue that someone on CB can deal with and that has received enough feedback to make a choice on what to do next stay open?

Thread will stay locked.
    I missed the post you quoted from the OP ... that does put things in a slightly different perspective. I do not agree however that the fact that she got a lot of responses, means she got all her questions answered. The two are not necessarily one and the same. Thanks for not immediately locking this thread. I appreciate your taking the time to state your reasoning for closing the thread rather than responding in a knee **** way as other mods in other forums might have.

EDIT: You can't say knee-j-e-r-k on the forums? Putting asterisks instead makes it look like I said something much worse!
    Last edited by blinkstar; 01-21-09 at 02:26 AM.
    01-21-09 02:21 AM
    would you host a carnival outside a funeral home?
    "... carnival outside a funeral home ... " That's a good line. I like that.
    I like this saying, too. Never heard of it, but I'm going to start using it. =]
    01-21-09 02:24 AM
    I like this saying, too. Never heard of it, but I'm going to start using it. =]
    by all means do so, lol

the hazards of writing on a forum at 3am, you make up odd phrases
    01-21-09 02:29 AM
    i will say 1 thing to get this frack face off ur azz tell him u have std's
    and he will be so scared and back the frack off
    01-21-09 02:31 AM
    that's real cute, someone with 20 posts telling moderators how they should do their job? lock this one too
    01-21-09 03:14 AM
    that's real cute, someone with 20 posts telling moderators how they should do their job? lock this one too
    Agreed - the other post had everything well covered, regardless if the OP was receptive to it or not. The question was answered, suggestions were offered, so the issue is over. If the OP wishes, perhaps she can update in the Off Topic forum to give us an update after a lil time goes by?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 03:33 AM
    Someone can have just one post and be right, while someone can have, oh I don't know, say 408 posts -- and be wrong. Post count does not equal credibility. Besides, a mod already posted in this thread and chose not to lock it, so you are doing exactly what you accuse me of doing.
    01-21-09 12:23 PM
    I'm going to post my thoughts on this. This forum is ran by the mods and the company that own it. ITS NOT A DEMOCRACY! If the mods felt it should be closed then it should be. Its simply not up for discussion.

My thoughts on the original thread as a active LEO was after the first 2 possibly 3 pages the thread degraded into useless , almost dangerous advise. Stalking is very serious, we see the final out comes of it a few times every year. After the OP's initial question was answered the thread should have been locked in my opinion. She had done the right thing by obtaining a CPO and once it was violated she needed to contact the local authorities, her local DA, or a attorney, not sought the advise from a public forum designed for discussion an BB devices. The legal advise you get on the internet you have no way of knowing where it came from, and what weekend warrior wrote it. Its worth what you pay for it, nothing.

Bill

01-21-09 01:56 PM
    I for one persoanlly think the thread should have been closed. While being stalked is a SERIOUS issue, I found inconsistencies in her story-----she claimed it was a business phone and she had changed jobs several times-----if it is a business phone let your employer know this harrassment is going on--just to name one. She got her answer let it go.
    01-21-09 02:29 PM
    The thread had every right to be closed, i was following the thread closely and the OP had been given all the proper advice. Like i said 3 posts before it was closed, there is nothing more we can say that has not been said already. The OP agreed.....The End
    01-21-09 02:36 PM
    Why so serious? Do some of you guys forget this is just the internet? Get a lifeeeeeeee

01-21-09 02:40 PM
    Right on young 8 legs. I am fed up with this thread. Closed.
    01-21-09 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD