What do you guys/girls think about Ubuntu edge? Would you buy the phone? If so, would it be your main device or would you use it along side your Q10/Z10/Q5?

For those of you who don't know about Ubuntu edge check some info here Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo
    08-15-13 12:52 AM
    Dual OS with heavy RAM and dual run capabilities and exceptional on board storage?

I wanna see it. No joke. I'd give it a test run.
    08-15-13 01:14 AM
    While I've not actually seen it run, the point of it would IMO be to be able to run Ubuntu desktop apps, right? Because otherwise, you've got an OS with no apps again. But while the OS may be touch- and mobile-friendly, the desktop apps are not. Mobile processors are still much, much less powerful than desktop processors, and mobile apps are generally very simplified compared to desktop apps for that reason. I don't think that the experience is going to be very satisfying at this point.

I *do* believe that the CONCEPT is correct, though, and we're at the point where it CAN be done, it's just that I don't think it can be done WELL yet. A few years down the road? I think it's very likely that mobile processors and battery technology will have improved enough to make it feasible, and if Ubuntu has been working the problem all that time, they'll be in a strong position to do well.

I just think that, TODAY, it's still a bit ahead of its time.
    08-15-13 01:24 AM
    While I've not actually seen it run, the point of it would IMO be to be able to run Ubuntu desktop apps, right? Because otherwise, you've got an OS with no apps again. But while the OS may be touch- and mobile-friendly, the desktop apps are not. Mobile processors are still much, much less powerful than desktop processors, and mobile apps are generally very simplified compared to desktop apps for that reason. I don't think that the experience is going to be very satisfying at this point.

I *do* believe that the CONCEPT is correct, though, and we're at the point where it CAN be done, it's just that I don't think it can be done WELL yet. A few years down the road? I think it's very likely that mobile processors and battery technology will have improved enough to make it feasible, and if Ubuntu has been working the problem all that time, they'll be in a strong position to do well.

I just think that, TODAY, it's still a bit ahead of its time.
    They're planning on having 4 gigs of ram with an 8 core processor. Linux apps don't always use a lot of cpu but it's still something worth to see
    08-15-13 03:29 PM
    Incredible endeavor and almost had it but it's OK, they can build on this demand

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 04:55 PM