For me, I look at the specs I need but have to touch type with the keyboard. If you're a gamer, make sure that the finger controls are 'right'. I won't take a keyboard with French characters, for example, because it changes the layout of the keyboard slightly and I can't touch-type on it. I always pay special attention to the kb as it's used for everything I do on a computer. For that reason, I wouldn't have the Surface unless I could get a full-size kb with it. That plastic/rubber thing they call a kb is horrible imho.
    The keyboards for the Surface are full size. They designed the Surface so it was that size for a reason. (When I say full size, I mean the keys are full size and spaced normally, but obviously there's no numeric keypad.) And the keyboard on my laptop is a french-english one, but except for the extra key beside the left Shift key, it's exactly the same. If that extra key really bothers you, it's easy enough to change it to a Shift key.

And seriously, it shouldn't take you long to adapt at all to typing on the Touch Cover, which although doesn't have scissor keys, the whole keyboard is a touch/weight sensor, so it intelligently allows for slight mistakes (if you type exactly between two keys, it will go for the letter that makes most sense given what you've already typed). The Touch Cover even supports gestures across the keys.

If you really don't like the Touch Cover, shell out the extra ten bucks and get the Type Cover. It's a little bit thicker (but still only a few mm thick), but has real scissor-keys that depress just like your desktop keyboard.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-06-13 06:33 AM
    You'll notice no one has mentioned Dell or HP. Lol.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    I have an old dell P4 that is still humming along running win7. I think dell went down hill after that though. That computer has to be 10 years old or better.
    11-06-13 06:48 AM
    Gosh my dell laptop lasted me from college till now! Its been 12 years. Time for that guy to retire. Well, for the topic, how about MSI? Its known for their gaming laptop. There's the GT series, GE series, their hardware are pretty sweet(for daily and gaming) and price affordable. Screen size? Minimum 14". Weight; lightest probably 2 kg. LOL.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 06:59 AM
    If you really don't like the Touch Cover, shell out the extra ten bucks and get the Type Cover. It's a little bit thicker (but still only a few mm thick), but has real scissor-keys that depress just like your desktop keyboard.

I use the type cover myself. Worth every penny.

I wasn't a big fan of the OSK they included with the surface. It's missing a lot of buttons, isn't resizable and I don't like it shrinking my screen.

With that said the native windows OSK can still be launched. And it fixed those gaps. Good for gamers.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-06-13 07:04 AM
    The main question is what are you going to use this device for? You mention a laptop or pc( meaning desktop?) Once you cover that I would say its up to you all of the manufactuers mentioned and other like Hp or Dell business models are very good choices. You also have Acer or Asus that makes great products. It comes down to what will be the main function of the computer. If it were me i would choice a product that i can get the most help when things go wrong ie. parts from the manufact. or quality customer service.
    11-06-13 07:23 AM
    Get the razer blade. Its the most powerful ultrabook in the world.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 07:41 AM
    The main question is what are you going to use this device for? You mention a laptop or pc( meaning desktop?) Once you cover that I would say its up to you all of the manufactuers mentioned and other like Hp or Dell business models are very good choices. You also have Acer or Asus that makes great products. It comes down to what will be the main function of the computer. If it were me i would choice a product that i can get the most help when things go wrong ie. parts from the manufact. or quality customer service.
    Well I don't know I am okay with using a desktop or a pc and to everyone else you guys respond quick lol. I go to bed and I wake up with a fleet of post. Lol

Posted via CB10 via My Q10
    11-06-13 09:16 AM
    Well I don't know I am okay with using a desktop or a pc and to everyone else you guys respond quick lol. I go to bed and I wake up with a fleet of post. Lol

What is your price range? If the sky is the limit, then really you can choose whatever you like best.

Any preference between Windows and Mac? I don't recommend switching from one to the other, because really they are equally as good and you'd only be totally lost if you switched. I know that I don't know how to use a Macintosh computer at all. All I've used ever has been Windows XP and Windows 7.

11-06-13 09:57 AM
    What is your price range? If the sky is the limit, then really you can choose whatever you like best.

Any preference between Windows and Mac? I don't recommend switching from one to the other, because really they are equally as good and you'd only be totally lost if you switched. I know that I don't know how to use a Macintosh computer at all. All I've used ever has been Windows XP and Windows 7.

Well in my original post I said less than 2000$ for a computer either desktop or laptop. And definitely no on apple because they don't make touch screens for there laptops and there white. I need a black pc lol

And really that's it. I used windows 95, windows 98, windows millennium, windows XP, windows Vista, Windows 7 and windows 8. I love windows 8 so that's one of the reasons I'm making the full switch to a dedicated windows 8 pc

11-06-13 11:27 AM
    I have an old dell P4 that is still humming along running win7. I think dell went down hill after that though. That computer has to be 10 years old or better.
    We use Dell hardware at work. But when it comes to even just Windows laptops they've lost out to Lenovo, ASUS, etc.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-06-13 11:32 AM
    We use Dell hardware at work. But when it comes to even just Windows laptops they've lost out to Lenovo, ASUS, etc.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    I've been hearing lots of good things about Lenovo and Asus. But, I must admit, I prefer the MacBook Pro for myself.
    11-06-13 12:41 PM
    Well in my original post I said less than 2000$ for a computer either desktop or laptop. And definitely no on apple because they don't make touch screens for there laptops and there white. I need a black pc lol

And really that's it. I used windows 95, windows 98, windows millennium, windows XP, windows Vista, Windows 7 and windows 8. I love windows 8 so that's one of the reasons I'm making the full switch to a dedicated windows 8 pc

Well than, it doesn't really make sense to get a desktop when you can get a laptop/tablet/hybrid that is just as powerful as a desktop, and you can get an awful lot for $2000. Basically you have it narrowed down then to either a Windows 8
    • touch screen UltraBook, or
    • tablet/hybrid.

You have quite a few models to choose from, with many of them being pretty even on the playing field. I'm not really sure what's out there in terms of UltraBooks, but for tablets/hybrids you have the Surface Pro 2, Lenovo Yoga, Asus Transformer, and a few other models by different companies.

If you do a lot of typing and data input, then I think an UltraBook makes more sense, but if you want to use it more for the touch screen and entertainment purposes, then a tablet would be good.

Personally, I'm really liking the Surface Pro 2 for it's Type or Touch covers and the kickstand, as well as the in-built digitizer and included stylus (the stylus can snap on to the magnetic charging port for temporary storage). You also get 200 GB of SkyDrive storage and can go up to a 512 GB SSD, so storage is not an issue. However, the screen is not huge, but battery life isn't bad (up to 8 hours).

If you're interested, check out this video review at The Verge which is pretty in-depth, and also this video review at
    Windows IT Pro, which is about the Surface 2 (which runs Windows RT) but still mostly applies to the Surface Pro 2.

11-06-13 02:21 PM
    I've been hearing lots of good things about Lenovo and Asus. But, I must admit, I prefer the MacBook Pro for myself.
    The OP said he's not interested in getting a Macintosh, mostly because it has no touch screen and doesn't run Windows 8 (even though it can).

11-06-13 02:23 PM
    The OP said he's not interested in getting a Macintosh, mostly because it has no touch screen and doesn't run Windows 8 (even though it can).

Yeah, I know what the op said. I was just stating my preference AFTER I said that I have been hearing good things about Asus and Lenovo. So, what's your point?
    11-06-13 02:57 PM
    Yeah, I know what the op said. I was just stating my preference AFTER I said that I have been hearing good things about Asus and Lenovo. So, what's your point?
    This thread was about what computer the OP should buy. No need to get offended.

shaleem likes this.
    11-06-13 03:36 PM
    This thread was about what computer the OP should buy. No need to get offended.

My apologies. I am not offended in any way. Sorry if I came off a bit too aggressively.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-06-13 04:01 PM
    My apologies. I am not offended in any way. Sorry if I came off a bit too aggressively.
    Apology accepted. I didn't mean to have it come across that way. Sometimes plaintext communications sucks.

shaleem, kbz1960 and Anilu7 like this.
    11-06-13 04:08 PM
    you people are hilarious and I never thought I would get this many responses

11-06-13 04:17 PM
    Yes Apple laptops are obviously in great demand as well.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-06-13 09:24 PM
    The keyboards for the Surface are full size. They designed the Surface so it was that size for a reason. (When I say full size, I mean the keys are full size and spaced normally, but obviously there's no numeric keypad.) And the keyboard on my laptop is a french-english one, but except for the extra key beside the left Shift key, it's exactly the same. If that extra key really bothers you, it's easy enough to change it to a Shift key.

And seriously, it shouldn't take you long to adapt at all to typing on the Touch Cover, which although doesn't have scissor keys, the whole keyboard is a touch/weight sensor, so it intelligently allows for slight mistakes (if you type exactly between two keys, it will go for the letter that makes most sense given what you've already typed). The Touch Cover even supports gestures across the keys.

Thinking about buying a Computer-lt9680190100.jpg

Notice the extra keys to the right of the L key in the top and bottom keyboards. Only the middle one is the standard English keyboard. The bottom one is labelled a French Canadian keyboard. This is what I mean. The extra keys cause errors in touch typing.

Thinking about buying a Computer-i10393152.jpg

Thinking about buying a Computer-canadianfrench_kybrd.jpg

The Surface keyboard being intelligent is certainly something worth looking into but being able to touch-type quickly is vital for my work. This post and all others done at the desktop are done with a standard keyboard. The feel of the keys depressing is important, as I'm sure you are aware as a Q10 user.
    Stephen Hollowood likes this.
    11-06-13 10:19 PM
    Hello fellow Crackberryians

I am planing on buying a new laptop or pc by the end of this year and thought I would go to you for advice

Although this has nothing to do with phones or mobile OS (this is the off topic lounge) I thought I would give it a go

I'm looking for a computer with the following things

Windows 8 pro 64bit
    Touchscreen (at least 720p)
    At least a core i5 Intel processor
    4 gigs of ram
    500 gigs of optical hard drive or at least 125 gigs of solid state drive
    At least 5hr battery life
    Has to be a ultrabook or have a really good reason not to be
    Has to have a physical keyboard or option to add one
    Screen lager than 10"
    have high quality build to it and be very sturdy (it doesn't have to be mil-spec but does need to be sturdy) no cheap plastic
    And under 2000$ price point
    IT HAS TO BE BLACK lol

I have been looking around and i like some of the thinkpads that Lenovo makes and I also like the microsoft surface pro 2. If anyone has used these your input would be much appreciated

If you have any recommendations please sound off

How about a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro?

http://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-ideapad-yoga-2-pro/
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-07-13 05:52 AM
    How about a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro?

http://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-ideapad-yoga-2-pro/
    I love the yoga 2 pro. The new thinkpad yoga is coming out this month too it's the same as the ideapad but in a thinkpad set up I really like the yoga series I just dislike that name it's so weird lol.

11-07-13 10:17 AM
    I love the yoga 2 pro. The new thinkpad yoga is coming out this month too it's the same as the ideapad but in a thinkpad set up I really like the yoga series I just dislike that name it's so weird lol.

I like the folding keyboard on the Thinkpad Yoga, it's more efficient than on the Ideapad.

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    Anilu7 and Stephen Hollowood like this.
    11-07-13 08:25 PM
    So just for an update on what I have looked up. I am deciding between these ultrabooks

1. The Surface Pro 2. With 256gb SSD and 8gb of ram with the touch cover 2

2. The Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga with 256gb SSD and 8gb of ram with the Full HD screen with stylus input and NFC and the core I5 Haswell processor running at 2.6ghz (the Surface pro 2 has the same chip). I might upgrade to the i7 running at 3.0ghz depending on the the price though

Both of these ultrabooks have almost the exact same internals so it's almost a tie. The differences are as follows

Surface. Thinkpad.

Core -i5 2.6ghz vs i7 3.00ghz for a couple 100$ more
    No stylus silo vs stylus storage
    Not a full keyboard vs full keyboard and trackpad
    2lbs 6oz (with key board) vs 3.5lbs
    10.6" 1080p screen vs 12.5" 1080p screen
    soft touch windows key vs hard touch key
    .55" thick with keyboard vs .75" thick
    Mini display port vs mini HDMI
    1 usb 3.0 vs 2 usb 3.0
    micro SD card reader vs 4in1 Card reader
    No NFC vs NFC
    2 720p cameras vs 1 720p camera

Also I'll be using them both with a dock (they both have good docks) at home with a 24" monitor and full keyboard so I won't mind having to having the touch keyboard on the surface because I'll be doing all my main typing on the bluetooth keyboard or the full key board at home and same thing with the thinkpad

Please comment on what you think you would get. I'll aslo be posting this on the first post I made so you will see it there also

Last edited by Stephen Hollowood; 11-12-13 at 09:20 PM.
    11-12-13 09:07 PM
    Definitely surface pro 2 for me.
    russmov and Stephen Hollowood like this.
    11-12-13 09:16 PM
50 12