Hello fellow Crackberryians

I am planing on buying a new laptop or pc by the end of this year and thought I would go to you for advice

Although this has nothing to do with phones or mobile OS (this is the off topic lounge) I thought I would give it a go

I'm looking for a computer with the following things

Windows 8 pro 64bit
    Touchscreen (at least 720p)
    At least a core i5 Intel processor
    4 gigs of ram
    500 gigs of optical hard drive or at least 125 gigs of solid state drive
    At least 5hr battery life
    Has to be a ultrabook or have a really good reason not to be
    Has to have a physical keyboard or option to add one
    Screen lager than 10"
    have high quality build to it and be very sturdy (it doesn't have to be mil-spec but does need to be sturdy) no cheap plastic
    And under 2000$ price point
    IT HAS TO BE BLACK lol

I have been looking around and i like some of the thinkpads that Lenovo makes and I also like the microsoft surface pro 2. If anyone has used these your input would be much appreciated

If you have any recommendations please sound off

So just for an update on what I have looked up. I am deciding between these ultrabooks

1. The Surface Pro 2. With 256gb SSD and 8gb of ram with the touch cover 2

2. The Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga with 256gb SSD and 8gb of ram with the Full HD screen with stylus input and NFC and the core I5 Haswell processor running at 2.6ghz (the Surface pro 2 has the same chip). I might upgrade to the i7 running at 3.0ghz depending on the the price though

Both of these ultrabooks have almost the exact same internals so it's almost a tie. The differences are as follows

Surface. Thinkpad.

Core -i5 2.6ghz vs i7 3.00ghz for a couple 100$ more
    No stylus silo vs stylus storage
    Not a full keyboard vs full keyboard and trackpad
    2lbs 6oz (with key board) vs 3.5lbs
    10.6" 1080p screen vs 12.5" 1080p screen
    soft touch windows key vs hard touch key
    .55" thick with keyboard vs .75" thick
    Mini display port vs mini HDMI
    1 usb 3.0 vs 2 usb 3.0
    micro SD card reader vs 4in1 Card reader
    No NFC vs NFC
    2 720p cameras vs 1 720p camera

Also I'll be using them both with a dock (they both have good docks) at home with a 24" monitor and full keyboard so I won't mind having to having the touch keyboard on the surface because I'll be doing all my main typing on the bluetooth keyboard or the full key board at home and same thing with the thinkpad

Please let me know what you think

Posted via CB10 via My Q10
    Last edited by Stephen Hollowood; 11-14-13 at 10:37 PM.
    11-05-13 09:00 PM
    Personally, I really like the idea of the Microsoft Surface Pro 2, though I haven't actually had the opportunity to use one. If you do get it, look into getting the dock that will be released in January, or the keyboard with the battery pack (only adds 2 mm to the thickness).

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    Stephen Hollowood likes this.
    11-05-13 09:11 PM
    hmm I would suggest a vaio!
    11-05-13 09:13 PM
    Yes I fully agree with you about it. I think that just thinking about using a slate like a full laptop is very interesting. the dock and the battery keyboard look very interesting also. The only downside I see is that I wish that the keyboard had a physical hinge and not the rubber plastic that there using right now so when it attached it would open and close like a laptop. That is a really cool concept to me and think that a slate computer might even be slighty ahead of its time

11-05-13 09:16 PM
    Yes I fully agree with you about it. I think that just thinking about using a slate like a full laptop is very interesting. the dock and the battery keyboard look very interesting also. The only downside I see is that I wish that the keyboard had a physical hinge and not the rubber plastic that there using right now so when it attached it would open and close like a laptop. That is a really cool concept to me and think that a slate computer might even be slighty ahead of its time

The keyboard attaches with a very strong magnetic connector, where power and information is also transmitted. I believe it does have a physical hinge where it folds over, but even if it doesn't, I don't think it would matter. The keyboard is quite stiff despite it's thickness and can fold back behind the Surface when you just want to use it as a tablet. The 2 version also has backlit keys, something I wish I had on my laptop.

Keep in mind that it's only a 10.5" screen, which might be a little too small for you. The keys are full size though.

11-05-13 09:36 PM
    The keyboard attaches with a very strong magnetic connector, where power and information is also transmitted. I believe it does have a physical hinge where it folds over, but even if it doesn't, I don't think it would matter. The keyboard is quite stiff despite it's thickness and can fold back behind the Surface when you just want to use it as a tablet. The 2 version also has backlit keys, something I wish I had on my laptop.

Keep in mind that it's only a 10.5" screen, which might be a little too small for you. The keys are full size though.

Yeah I like the keyboard with the backlighting my current laptop doesn't have that and it really sucks. And what I meant was that the surface needs to use the kickstand to hold it up. Some hybrids have a keyboard that actually has a hinge that holds the slate. But when I'm home I would use a external keyboard anyway lol

11-05-13 09:56 PM
    Lenovo has been the most innovative. Especially with Windows 8.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-05-13 10:01 PM
    Lenovo has been the most innovative. Especially with Windows 8.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    With their Yoga you mean? I personally prefer the idea of the Surface.

11-05-13 10:03 PM
    I really likes lenovos new yogo thinkpad. I don't really like there ideapads because there not as much based on business as there thinkpads. Lenovos thinkpads are really cool looking In my opinion I'm the kind of guy that likes a device in any color as long as it's black lol that's actually one of 2 reason why I won't use mac's 1 there white not black and 2 they don't run windows OS out of the box

11-05-13 10:07 PM
    With their Yoga you mean? I personally prefer the idea of the Surface.

Surface 2 is nice as well. Get real Windows though and not RT.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-05-13 10:13 PM
    The BlackBerry Z30 would work well for you.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 10:15 PM
    I really likes lenovos new yogo thinkpad. I don't really like there ideapads because there not as much based on business as there thinkpads. Lenovos thinkpads are really cool looking In my opinion I'm the kind of guy that likes a device in any color as long as it's black lol that's actually one of 2 reason why I won't use mac's 1 there white not black and 2 they don't run windows OS out of the box

Go to Super site for Windows and read Paul Thurott. He has good reviews of all the Surface and Lenovo stuff I think.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-05-13 10:15 PM
    Go to Super site for Windows and read Paul Thurott. He has good reviews of all the Surface and Lenovo stuff I think.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    Good tip. I'll head over there just for interest's sake. I've always wanted to buy a Surface Pro, but I can't just pull a grand out of my rear end.

11-05-13 10:18 PM
    Hello fellow Crackberryians

I am planing on buying a new laptop or pc by the end of this year and thought I would go to you for advice

Although this has nothing to do with phones or mobile OS (this is the off topic lounge) I thought I would give it a go

I'm looking for a computer with the following things

Windows 8 pro 64bit
    Touchscreen (at least 720p)
    At least a core i5 Intel processor
    4 gigs of ram
    500 gigs of optical hard drive or at least 125 gigs of solid state drive
    At least 5hr battery life
    Has to be a ultrabook or have a really good reason not to be
    Has to have a physical keyboard or option to add one
    Screen lager than 10"
    have high quality build to it and be very sturdy (it doesn't have to be mil-spec but does need to be sturdy) no cheap plastic
    And under 2000$ price point

I have been looking around and i like some of the thinkpads that Lenovo makes and I also like the microsoft surface pro 2. If anyone has used these your input would be much appreciated

If you have any recommendations please sound off

My advice is to do what I did. Go to mythlogic. Set no price limit. Get the works

Otherwise, Newegg is a great place to get started.

I use a surface pro 128GB for my tablet. Love it, no regrets v

Posted via CB from my LE
    11-05-13 10:20 PM
    Good tip. I'll head over there just for interest's sake. I've always wanted to buy a Surface Pro, but I can't just pull a grand out of my rear end.

He talks about the Lenovo and Surface products all the time at length on Windows Weekly on TWIT.TV. He writes books on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. I can't link you straight to his reviews but if you look through his blog posts I am sure there are a plenty.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-05-13 10:22 PM
    Try Asus? You would get nice specs with 1500$. Asus Zenbook touch would be nice. It has nice specs, touch screen, and beautiful design.

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/3533-...x301la-review/
    11-05-13 10:48 PM
    Yes Asus was another pc manufacturer I was looking at and that you guys for all this info I didn't even know about mythlogic or any of those sites you just said.

11-05-13 10:54 PM
    Yeah I like the keyboard with the backlighting my current laptop doesn't have that and it really sucks. And what I meant was that the surface needs to use the kickstand to hold it up. Some hybrids have a keyboard that actually has a hinge that holds the slate. But when I'm home I would use a external keyboard anyway lol

For me, I look at the specs I need but have to touch type with the keyboard. If you're a gamer, make sure that the finger controls are 'right'. I won't take a keyboard with French characters, for example, because it changes the layout of the keyboard slightly and I can't touch-type on it. I always pay special attention to the kb as it's used for everything I do on a computer. For that reason, I wouldn't have the Surface unless I could get a full-size kb with it. That plastic/rubber thing they call a kb is horrible imho.
    11-05-13 10:58 PM
    I have the surface Pro 2 and I love it. I got rid of my iPad 3 and my laptop. I don't have the keyboard so I can't comment on it.
    11-05-13 10:58 PM
    I bought the yoga 2. It's supposed to be getting shipped to me soon... fits all the criterias you asked and then some.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 11:00 PM
    Let me know what you think about it once you get it. That would be much appreciated. I have never bought a Lenovo and would like to know what there like and the yoga is a really cool ultrabook if you ask me

11-05-13 11:09 PM
    You'll notice no one has mentioned Dell or HP. Lol.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    Stephen Hollowood likes this.
    11-05-13 11:14 PM
    You'll notice no one has mentioned Dell or HP. Lol.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    Ha yes true and I'm fine with that. I am currently using a dell and we'll let's just say it's the reason I need a new laptop. It kinda just said "**** you I'm destroying you memory hahahah". So after I vowed never to use dell again I am on the hunt for the "better" pc lol

11-05-13 11:20 PM
    Ha yes true and I'm fine with that. I am currently using a dell and we'll let's just say it's the reason I need a new laptop. It kinda just said "**** you I'm destroying you memory hahahah". So after I vowed never to use dell again I am on the hunt for the "better" pc lol

Yeah and Dell even makes a model now that smells like cat urine. Way to turn folks away. Heh.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-05-13 11:38 PM
    I have the surface Pro 2 and I love it. I got rid of my iPad 3 and my laptop. I don't have the keyboard so I can't comment on it.
    What! The keyboard is the whole beauty of the Surface, and you didn't even get it?

11-06-13 06:24 AM
50 12