Want privacy? Stay off the grid.
    Privacy is not the same as extreme isolation.
    04-28-18 12:05 AM
    Do engineers even bother getting licensed anymore? I thought the preferred engineering career stream nowadays was straight to an MBA, followed by a lifelong career of informal corporate practise free of the cumbersome restraints of professional associations, ethics rules, and liability insurance.
    Are you describing an Engineer? or a runaway train?
    04-28-18 12:07 AM
    The "if you want privacy then stop using the internet" argument is the same as the "if you don't like what's happening in [name of country] then leave" argument.

Both are examples of logical fallacy (argumentum ergo decedo or the Traitorous Critic Fallacy).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergo_decedo

It's much easier to try to dismiss someone's arguments regarding privacy in this way so that you don't have to make an effort to acknowledge or address them.

Those of us who have concerns about privacy still need communicate with others, support our families, and engage with our communities and with society. We want to make our voices heard and participate in the conversation, but in order to do all this, we must use the internet. It doesn't mean that we implicitly consent to the invasion of our privacy, it just means that there are currently no alternatives.

Organizations like the EFF are working to make the internet a place where users are the ones in control of their data and the right to privacy is respected and upheld. But they must use the internet in its present form to get their message out there.

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10
    04-28-18 07:51 AM
    Haha... MBA's "playing engineer" might describe a good portion of GM's recent decades. Lol.

As an "old school" engineer, I've cleaned up after my share of "MBA/PE" messes and resent every minute. "Old school" defined as an engineer who spends more of each day with hands on the project than sitting at a desk like a wannabe attorney. Lol. That means I shower AFTER work. Before also. Lol.

That said, handling IP and NDA related data must be done responsibly and misuse of that data could very likely open doors to culpability... including punitive outcomes. I still keep my 40 year old old paper & leather "contact book" safely locked away. As retirement nears, I've been going through it and contacting clients for permission to reveal that data to selected colleagues. Named by name. There are competitors, & others, who would pay some money for that book. Holding "engineering" responsible for abuses of an engineered product would be like holding as culpable the "engineers" who designed and sold me that book, and the paper in it, because I might have sold that data! I'm no attorney but suspect my attorneys would find humor in such speculation... after making seriously certain I'm truly joking. Lol.

Willing, or no, most of us are clients of Google, FB, etc. My question is, what possibilities might exist to hold Google, FB, etc culpable for violation of "client privilege"? Can they be treated as a "regulated profession"??
    04-30-18 10:07 AM
29 12