From the Globe and Mail... and there can ne no market economy without privacy.
    A good read for those here who keep repeating the mantra that "the market has chosen" and that crowds are smart...

Also, a good reminder that blackberry was about privacy and not monetizing your data...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ticle37976255/

Posted via CB10
    duncan86 likes this.
    02-17-18 11:13 PM
    02-18-18 12:06 AM
    I guess you haven't read the article in the Globe and Mail if that's what you focus on.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-18 08:03 AM
    02-18-18 08:11 AM
    No, I actually haven't. If you use anything connected to the internet, any number of companies are selling your data. You're posting on CrackBerry, so...

Besides, you brought up

a good reminder that blackberry was about privacy and not monetizing your data...
    Which isn't true.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-18-18 08:14 AM
    No, I actually haven't. If you use anything connected to the internet, any number of companies are selling your data. You're posting on CrackBerry, so...

Besides, you brought up

Which isn't true.
    Sure, but the article is not about the privacy practices of one company or another, and whether you should or should not connect to the internet.
    It's about the outcome of the predatory practices of bullying everyone into giving their private data away without no option and no protection.
    There are ways in which this could have been avoided.
    We now suffer the consequences...

It does not mean that if I use crackberry I wasn't aware of data collection or that I agreed to it.

Posted via CB10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    02-18-18 08:21 AM
    We now suffer the consequences...
    So this is about the suggestion Trump wouldn't have won the election, were it not for some Russian trolls? LoL! Stop. Please, just stop.
    duncan86 likes this.
    02-18-18 08:32 AM
    Want privacy? Stay off the grid.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-18-18 08:55 AM
    Want privacy? Stay off the grid.
    Caves, not toys!
    02-18-18 08:57 AM
    So this is about the suggestion Trump wouldn't have won the election, were it not for some Russian trolls? LoL! Stop. Please, just stop.
    What has Trump got to do with this?
    Neither Trump nor the Russians control or invented the Internet and "free services" on the internet.

The damage was done years before Trump and the Russians became an excuse for the naive media...

Is that why you moved to rehab along with the post?
    Is that the best argument you have for an article you admit you did not read?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-18 09:30 AM
    You can opt not to use free services then.
    02-18-18 09:31 AM
    I don't if given the option to pay for it, like I do when I go in a shop and pay with cash.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-18 09:33 AM
    To me it's an interesting commentary on the psychological effects and manipulation of the human brain by several tech companies and that industry in general. It is a well established fact that these corporations employ experts in the field of psychology, neurochemistry and marketing to enhance (sic) the online experience that we receive. The question is, due to the effects on young people's brains, is this harmful to the human condition and is this practice ethical?
    02-18-18 10:37 AM
    What has Trump got to do with this?
    Neither Trump nor the Russians control or invented the Internet and "free services" on the internet.

The damage was done years before Trump and the Russians became an excuse for the naive media...

Is that why you moved to rehab along with the post?
    Is that the best argument you have for an article you admit you did not read?

Posted via CB10
    My mistake, integrating stlabrat's and yours.

I moved it off topic because it's not about BlackBerry. I'm reading your words. I shouldn't have to click a link to get a general understanding of what you want to convey in your thread.

I do agree on the effects of the MSM, and folks wanting "free" without regard to the price they actually pay. Unfortunately, it's a global mindset that can't be overcome, cause too many don't learn from history, and we are doomed to repeat it. I could sight a million examples and I've no doubt be called a hater for it.

Carry on y'all. Maybe one person can be touched by this discussion.
    02-18-18 10:54 AM
    To me it's an interesting commentary on the psychological effects and manipulation of the human brain by several tech companies and that industry in general. It is a well established fact that these corporations employ experts in the field of psychology, neurochemistry and marketing to enhance (sic) the online experience that we receive. The question is, due to the effects on young people's brains, is this harmful to the human condition and is this practice ethical?
    Yes. These people cannot be Professional Engineers, or if they are, they broke the ethics rules.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-18 12:04 PM
    My mistake, integrating stlabrat's and yours.

I moved it off topic because it's not about BlackBerry. I'm reading your words. I shouldn't have to click a link to get a general understanding of what you want to convey in your thread.

I do agree on the effects of the MSM, and folks wanting "free" without regard to the price they actually pay. Unfortunately, it's a global mindset that can't be overcome, cause too many don't learn from history, and we are doomed to repeat it. I could sight a million examples and I've no doubt be called a hater for it.

Carry on y'all. Maybe one person can be touched by this discussion.
    OK. Sounds good. It is though, ALSO about Blackberry. Balsilie does talk briefly about the original thinking at BlackBerry and that they certainly didn't hire psychology experts to ensure that their services were addictive. So, if we are to believe him, they at least did not set out to be unethical, as some of the former Facebook execs now admit!

Posted via CB10
    02-18-18 12:06 PM
    if they are, they broke the ethics rules.
    I think that it is more likely a scientific naivety and perhaps through time the consequences will finally be realized.
    02-18-18 12:09 PM
    OK. Sounds good. It is though, ALSO about Blackberry. Balsilie does talk briefly about the original thinking at BlackBerry and that they certainly didn't hire psychology experts to ensure that their services were addictive. So, if we are to believe him, they at least did not set out to be unethical, as some of the former Facebook execs now admit!

Posted via CB10
    Wasn't Facebook a native app on BBOS?

I suppose I should pontificate upon this. They didn't set out to play mind games for profit, but whether directly or indirectly contributed. Certainly once they got into the consumer field, they pushed their security, and tried to influence sales through a sense of superior data handling, while selling it themselves, as one example. BBM would be another, which was openly promoted as addictive.

To my knowledge, Facebook didn't start as a psych-op, anymore than the MSM, Marx, US government, blah blah blah. Again, the masses get used for power and profit throughout history, and history is "sooooooo boring".
    02-18-18 12:45 PM
    Yes. These people cannot be Professional Engineers, or if they are, they broke the ethics rules.

Posted via CB10
    Nonsense.
    02-18-18 01:09 PM
    Nonsense.
    And here I felt the need to pontificate.
    02-18-18 01:31 PM
    Fears of corporate shenanigans aside, I do think it's worth the time to ponder just exactly what our handsets "know" about us. Microphone, TWO cameras, what we say, what we read, WHO we say it to and read it from, contacts, calendar,... Even real time GPS coordinates! All in a handset that can only be "soft off". Can't even pull the battery for positive privacy!

As an engineer myself, if Joe Stalin (or fill in your own blank) asked me to devise a monitoring system for monitoring potential candidates for "re-education" in preparation for his next "purge"... Guess what data source I'd consider first?

History sadly too clearly informs us that "uncle Joe's" next opportunity is a matter of WHEN.

Is it considered paranoia when the threat is real? Lol.
    02-20-18 10:36 PM
    Nonsense.
    Well, take it up with PEO, then.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-18 09:37 PM
    Well, take it up with PEO, then.

Posted via CB10
    It would seem that YOU must, as they currently have no issue.

Being an engineer and a businessman are not mutually exclusive.

Convincing someone to enjoy and/or purchase your product using whatever tools are at your disposal (in the absence of outright unlawful deception), is fair game. It's called marketing. Find out what makes your customers tick, and exploit it.

Further still, no engineer has ever lost his licence from selling "the world's best cup of coffee".
    Last edited by conite; 04-16-18 at 10:09 PM.
    04-16-18 09:41 PM
    Further still, no engineer has ever lost his licence from selling "the world's best cup of coffee".
    I bet at least one did
    conite likes this.
    04-16-18 10:45 PM
    Do engineers even bother getting licensed anymore? I thought the preferred engineering career stream nowadays was straight to an MBA, followed by a lifelong career of informal corporate practise free of the cumbersome restraints of professional associations, ethics rules, and liability insurance.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-17-18 01:19 AM
29 12