So, if you took the 85 billion dollars earmarked for the AIG bail out and distributed it equally amongst the 200 million adults in the US, it roughly comes out to about 250 grand each... 30% back to the feds for taxes and we sit at 175K each... Think that would fix a lot, if not most, of the problems?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

ahhhh...i hate to rain on anyone's parade but if you do the math correctly and we distrubute 85billion amongst 200million....its $425 dollar per adult - with no zeros...four hundred twenty-five dollars per person
    09-30-08 02:15 PM
    A course in remedial math can go far for some ;-P. Oh wait, I also have to add the following disclaimer in for those that may take this the wrong way: jk.

SLVR6, you state that 'any fool' knows the war in Iraq can't end too quickly. That is such a broad/generalized/vague statment to make. Do you know why? Because what is 'too quickly' exactly? Obama for example; wants to have staggered troop withdrawal in Iraq; Obama also talks about a horizon/timeline for withdrawal. No one is saying that the troops are going to be entirely pulled out of Iraq the month after the inauguration of the next President or anything.

The withdrawal of troops has to be logically and logistically acted on. Obama hasn't said anything that counters that approach...or else he'd be talking against himself.
    09-30-08 02:35 PM
    i gotta admit though i like cbabson's math better!!! lol...
    09-30-08 03:52 PM
    So, if you took the 85 billion dollars earmarked for the AIG bail out and distributed it equally amongst the 200 million adults in the US, it roughly comes out to about 250 grand each... 30% back to the feds for taxes and we sit at 175K each... Think that would fix a lot, if not most, of the problems?

Hey!!! I received that very same email....

09-30-08 04:24 PM
    Blah, blah blah....this thread is repeat, repeat, repeating itself!!!

09-30-08 04:34 PM
    Its amazing...all these countries that have stiffed us in the past get a pass BUT we don't that's dandy guys. How dare we ask anyone for money...especially considering the fact that we are one of the largest if not the largest consumers of Chinese made products.

10-01-08 01:27 AM
    I love it somebody please explain why the us is the way it is!
    10-01-08 01:34 AM
    the fact that we are the largest consumer of chinese products makes it that much easier for them to say "yes" when we pick up the phone and say "hey, can you loan us a bit more" .... a vicious cycle
    10-01-08 06:52 AM
    You know what? Ppl should never reelect a prez to a second term. They have nothing to work for especially GWB. The still president bush has been on an extended vacation just chilling slapping volleyball players butts etc. Man i wont hate GWB. I would be doing exactly the same thing
    10-01-08 09:44 AM
    Fact of the matter..9/11 hurt our economy more than people care to realise add to that the continuance of out sourcing jobs (not gw's fault btw) and you have the current state of the economy...but yes let's all blame bush..

10-01-08 10:29 AM
    WTF, other people realize bush didn't ruin our economy??? This is odd. Bush did nothing to make people get crappy mortgages, as stated above, 9/11 hurt our economy bad. Really bad. Ever since then we have been on the up turn(with the exception of the past two or so weeks). I think for all the sh it bush has been through he has done a fantastic job.

10-01-08 10:40 AM
    I think for all the sh it bush has been through he has done a fantastic job.

Meaning-- He hasn't killed himself. Nor has anyone else. Fantastic is LOOONNNGGGG from where he is......
    10-01-08 12:29 PM
    agreed...the economy isnt one person's fault but there is plenty of blame to go around and that includes some for mr bush...and i'll agree with prince - one term for the prez would provide some motivation to limit the amount of politics involved in being president
    10-01-08 12:32 PM
    Lets see blue, first 9/11, which destroyed our economy. Then the initial war on terror in afghanistan that everyone was for, then katrina, now the housing market. The guy has had a lot to deal with.

10-01-08 12:34 PM
    The guy has had a lot to deal with.
    And he seems to have "dealt with it" by burying his head in the sand and NOT dealing with anything. Definition of a leader: Provide leadership. Bush has never been a leader.
    10-01-08 12:44 PM
    Lets see blue, first 9/11, which destroyed our economy. Then the initial war on terror in afghanistan that everyone was for, then katrina, now the housing market. The guy has had a lot to deal with.

People who think 9/11 WASN'T staged somehow by the united states government is nuts. I'm a believer that the govn't knew it was going to happen and didn't do a darn thing.

Katrina was a natural disaster, sh!t happens. Deal with it. He's always so quick to handle disasters....not....

Housing market.... if he didn't spend so much money on this stupid war, there would be much more money to go around.
    10-01-08 12:53 PM
    hate to break to you but 9/11 did not destroy our economy - yes there was a huge drop the first day the markets reopened, but the government's swift reaction (afghanistan) is what saved the economy back in 2001...Katrina was a cluster F - more than anyone could have imagined, yet it was W that appointed the headed of FEMA not anyone else...
    10-01-08 12:56 PM
    and i'll voice my dissagreement with blue on 9/11 i dont think it was staged - the look on W's face when he was told could not be faked...have a good weekend all - i have wedding to attend!!!! take care
    10-01-08 12:57 PM
    REF Housing Market: The Government pressured the Mortgage Companies to give mortgages to those who could barely afford them.
    10-01-08 01:00 PM
    Be careful with pacifists. When you oppose them, somehow they become the most violent people ever. I'm not really sure where that comes from since they claim to be for peace, but whatever I guess.

I still don't see how one man is thought of by some as the sole cause of this mess instead of the real culprits: the idiots running the corporations buying up subprime mortgages and encouraging more to be sold to potential homeowners...

Well, just to let you know I'm not a bush supporter.
    How does one rotten apple spoil a bunch? If teenages go out drinking and the driver has an accident resulting someone's death; I don't blame all, just one. No, Hurricane Katrina (everything) is not bush fault but being unaware is. I don't much know nothing about our financial institution, but I can't understand why bush is trying to help banks with bad debt and not homeowners with bad debt. Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't help homeowners save their homes mean that the money give to them filters to the financial institution.

10-01-08 01:56 PM
    and i'll voice my dissagreement with blue on 9/11 i dont think it was staged - the look on W's face when he was told could not be faked...have a good weekend all - i have wedding to attend!!!! take care
    Oh so true!! But I don't think it would be hard to fool Bush.

10-01-08 01:57 PM
    So many issues to address. Yes I believe our goverment knew something was cooking, but nothing along the lines of 9/11 and certainly very obscure details. The government certainly never "pressured" the mortgage companies, that is a truly ignorant statement. The government opened the market for "predatory" lending practices, but certainly had no hand in writing the mortgages. The market was ripe for people to get a house they could reasonably afford, yet most people were too greedy to take something inside their means. With the katrina issue, bush appointed the head of fema yes, but during the katrina affair, nagen was too stupid/slow to call for help from fema. If you understand how federal aid works, they(fed.) Are not allowed to step in and help until they are asked to do so. Nagen waited until the fourth day, and within hours the national guard was there. At the end of the day, bush gets blamed for quite a few things he didn't do. I guarantee you he is a bright guy, he just isn't a good public speaker. Since he isn't a good public speaker people automatically ASSume he is stupid. The media has a horrible reputation for making scapegoats, bush just happened to be their target this time. It also doesn't help that the majority of our media is so liberal they can't see straight.

10-01-08 02:14 PM
    I guarantee you he is a bright guy, he just isn't a good public speaker.
    Excuse me? Have you HEARD this guy talk? If you said things like this in public, I can assure you no one would call you bright: "Amigo! Amigo!" --George W. Bush, calling out to Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi in Spanish at the G-8 Summit, Rusutsu, Japan, July 10, 2008

No other President in HISTORY has had as many books written about his (mis)statements. This isn't just poor public speaking, this goes wayyyyy beyond just poor public speaking.
    10-01-08 02:26 PM
    Here's a pic that a friend sent me...he's an Osama supporter (sorry about that ^ typo) and loves sending me stuff like this...yes I really can get along with liberals! it was titled the Worst McCain Photo Ever...I disagree. I think the worst pic was him hugging W!!!

But I thought you Dem's might like this...enjoy!!! I know I gotta a giggle out of it.

10-01-08 05:13 PM
    With Katrina, it seems to me that Louisiana's governor and N.O.'S mayor dropped the ball by not doing their job which is officially requesting FEMA assistance. FEMA can't just go to places it hasn't been requested. IIRC President Bush asked the. Several times to request assistance but didn't because they wouldn't have been in control of it. Not to mention the total mishandling of the evacuation by the city and state. Let's get the blame where it's due here.

9/11 being federally approved? That's kind of "out there". By the way, the economy was on a downturn starting late in the term of President Clinton, and continuing into President Bush's initial term, so he inherited that from the previous administration.

And with regard to President Bush's ability to speak, I'd rather have a guy who mis-speaks than some slick talking weaselly lawyer type any day. (No offense intended to any slick talking weaselly lawyer types out there in CB land).

10-01-08 07:14 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD