My family still has a land line. A good ol' fashioned land line can not be beat... for so many things. Plus it still remains the central hub of the house in terms of communication.

Problem is people text this number. They think its a cell #, because people just assume everything is a cell # and they text it. It rings and you get the msg read to you, but it's pretty useless.

What are the options for being able to receive and send texts for a land line?

Is there an app? Or something to set up on the computer to manage this? Or a land line phone capable of handling it?

Thoughts?
    10-03-17 12:21 AM
    My family still has a land line. A good ol' fashioned land line can not be beat... for so many things. Plus it still remains the central hub of the house in terms of communication.

Problem is people text this number. They think its a cell #, because people just assume everything is a cell # and they text it. It rings and you get the msg read to you, but it's pretty useless.

What are the options for being able to receive and send texts for a land line?

Is there an app? Or something to set up on the computer to manage this? Or a land line phone capable of handling it?

Thoughts?
    Yes, after you hear the message, you can reply to the text message with a voice recording. (This option isn't available if the message is delivered to an answering machine.)

They'll be sent a text message stating that you replied to the Text to Landline message. The text will include a phone number that they can call to hear the voicemail you left.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=nIfddDKv

OP - what advantages are there with a landline? I do miss the central-hub idea, but can't really think of anything else...
    10-03-17 10:33 AM

OP - what advantages are there with a landline? I do miss the central-hub idea, but can't really think of anything else...
    Land lines stay functional during power outages, at least here in Manitoba.
    If you have kids you don't have to leave them a phone in case of emergency.
    If you DO have a land-line like we do, then you've had it for years and everyone has that number ingrained.
    The land-line is central - whoever is at home answers it and you don't have someone phoning your cell looking for your wife, or vice-versa.

I personally have found land-lines more reliable than cell phones - there are times when we have cell service drop off. The only time that I've had a land-line fail was when a blast occurred on highway construction and it blew down a phone pole. That also affected long distance on the cells, but you could phone locally on the cell.

Up until just recently we had better long-distance plans on the land-line . This was VERY critical for us because my wife has a large, far-flung family and spends a lot of time on the phone with them. Interestingly, FB has cut down on this substantially, but she has a sister who really doesn't have cell coverage at her (rural) house and so the land-line is a necessity there.

Land lines are also much more reliable in rural areas - like the example above of my sister-in-law. This is changing, but here in Canada (eh) we still have rural areas that have very poor cell coverage, whereas pretty much everywhere has land-lines.
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    10-03-17 11:47 AM

Land lines have a much better phone/conversation quality (clarity).
    Land lines are more reliable.

Land lines are good for general "family" communication... I mean as a central base point. Everyone has their own phone, but stuff that is for everybody. A central hub.

Families with kids don't have to give kids a cell phone from such a young age (which I think is terrible). Things like calls from schools, doctors, sports teams, activities etc can come into a land line for anyone to pick up and deal with, instead of isolated to just 1 parent/spouse who could be at work, and may not even be able to deal with the phone for large parts of the work day.

Land lines are just more comfortable for longer use stuff, and that can be defined as so many things.

Now me personally. I am a millennial, and as a true millennial I hate talking on the phone. I use my phone as a communication hub, text/email/bbm/facebook.... but I really hate hate hate it when my phone actually rings. Cell phones can be very intrusive.... which leads to.

Land lines are great because you deal with the call when you can. The great things about cell phones is you can be reached always... the worst thing about cell phones is you can be reached always...... therefore I am incredibly hesitant about giving out me cell #.... I actually try to keep it very private because I don't want my phone to start ringing and become disruptive to my life... basically my cell phone is not for calls.... or tires not to be.

But I do think that land lines and the old 'traditional home phone" needs to advance a bit technologically... a touch screen and be able to read messages and text would be great.
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    10-03-17 01:16 PM
    Everyone has their own phone, but stuff that is for everybody
    10-12-17 02:28 AM