I got word from a good friend of mine in the Jeet Kune Do family about this. It makes me realize how short life really is. Having lost two family members (technically one, but one was a potential member in my sister's boyfriend), and now this. It makes whatever we're arguing about, at this moment, rather petty. Life is too short to stay angry, to keep grudges. Or, to overly worry about things we can't change. As Freeman said in Shawshank: "get busy living, or get busy dying."
    12-02-10 03:54 PM
    Chuck Norris is still alive...
    12-02-10 04:29 PM
    I like Shawshank Redemption. Favorite part is when Andy Dufrain locks himself in the warden's office and plays the music. Classic.
    12-02-10 04:30 PM
    I like Shawshank Redemption. Favorite part is when Andy Dufrain locks himself in the warden's office and plays the music. Classic.
    Thats just wong on so many levels
    12-02-10 04:33 PM
    To Wong Foo? Patrick Swayze in drag... HOT!
    BeefPotPies likes this.
    12-02-10 04:33 PM
    RIP Mr.Wong. In addition to Chuck Norris being a former student who's still alive, NBA legend Kareem Abdul Jabbar was a former student as well. I still remember them fighting in the classic kung fu movie "Game of Death". Who could forget Chuck and Bruce classic battle in "Return of the Dragon"(title in the U.S.)
    12-02-10 05:21 PM
    Chuck Norris is still alive...
    Yeah, I know. But, I wouldn't say he was as close to Bruce, as Ted was. The only one who was possibly closer, was Herb Jackson, who was with Bruce in Hong Kong until Bruce's own death. But, Jackson passed away a year, or two, ago.

Norris, also moved on to make his own art of Chun Kuk Do (I think that's the name). Joe Lewis, another student of Bruce's teaches his brand of kickboxing. Ted Wong, on the other hand, has stayed loyal to what Bruce taught him. His own story was unique, in that, unlike his other students, he didn't have prior martial arts experience. Secondly, Ted, like Bruce, spoke Cantonese. This, for many reasons, led to an implicit trust between the two. Thirdly, he was taught the later stages of JKD development (for those who are interested).

Of the remaining, they are: Dan Inosanto, Taky Kimura, George Lee, Allen Joe, Jesse Glover, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

twjkd.com is the website for Ted's group. I think it's just unfinished though. You'll see some material on amazon.
    Last edited by lssanjose; 12-02-10 at 05:29 PM.
    12-02-10 05:26 PM
    RIP Mr.Wong. In addition to Chuck Norris being a former student who's still alive, NBA legend Kareem Abdul Jabbar was a former student as well. I still remember them fighting in the classic kung fu movie "Game of Death". Who could forget Chuck and Bruce classic battle in "Return of the Dragon"(title in the U.S.)
    That way of the Dragon (ROTD) fight scene with Chuck was the greatest. If people saw the Warrior's Journey version of that Game of Death scene, then that could easily tie with Norris's.
    12-02-10 05:27 PM
    OK, I didn't know Chuck Norris was his student. I meant it as a Chuck Norris joke As in we still have Chuck Norris. Ah, forget it... Moment gone...
    12-03-10 11:22 AM
    don't feel badly about it, pixel8rberry.

I just got word from a friend of mine - who's very close to Ted, said he passed last week, right before the big event for Bruce's birthday in San Fran. He recently recovered from a stroke last year, and apparently still battled cancer when we thought he recovered a few years ago.

I still remember the days of being his demo dummy. For a guy in his 70s, he had knuckles of steel.
    12-03-10 11:47 AM
    OK, I didn't know Chuck Norris was his student. I meant it as a Chuck Norris joke As in we still have Chuck Norris. Ah, forget it... Moment gone...
    I kind of miss his stuff on-screen, but he's really getting into the pro combat sport biz, the last I checked. OH well, there's always the total gym .
    12-03-10 11:49 AM
    I send my condolenses to them and their family and friends.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-10 05:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD