I am in dire need of a technological genius. It is not for a BB, it is for a laptop. thanks in advance----PM me.
    02-06-09 06:32 PM
    Define genius; does your laptop need a spring clean or a brain transplant? I might be able to give you a hand..might..
    02-06-09 08:52 PM
    Define genius; does your laptop need a spring clean or a brain transplant? I might be able to give you a hand..might..
    Ok I have a laptop issued from my job. i recently got a virus on it so they wiped it and added everything back on. when i got home, i cannot go to one website and one website only. i was able to go there before the wipe. i have a wireless network at home. i have checked restricted sites, changed firewall settings, changed risk level. nothing works. i can however go on the site using one of the bypass sites---which i do nto want to do. i can go on the site on other computers in my house. it is Case's Ladder
    thanks
    02-06-09 09:00 PM
    The site works fine, have you tried altering your cookie and active-x settings? Is there a chance that your tech-bods have blocked this particular site as the source of the virus?
    02-06-09 09:51 PM
    The site works fine, have you tried altering your cookie and active-x settings? Is there a chance that your tech-bods have blocked this particular site as the source of the virus?
    i have checked all of that, yes they have it blocked from work, but could they possibly block it from access at my house?
    02-06-09 09:55 PM
    Envied.

I strongly suspect the I.T. chaps checked your browsing history when you took the laptop in.

If you are remotely connecting to your work before surfing the net it is very easy for the I.T. chaps to block the site on the companies proxy server.

A lot of laptops are set-up to connect to the company network before connecting to the internet. It's a way for the I.T. team to monitor your browsing.

The other option is, someone could have changed the host file on your local machine to point at a spurious address.

If the machine is running windows 2000 or XP you can check this by going to C:\winnt or windows (depending on OS) \system32\drivers\etc and opening the hosts file using notepad.
    02-08-09 04:11 AM
    I am in dire need of a technological genius. It is not for a BB, it is for a laptop. thanks in advance----PM me.
    Take your notebook... Grab the charger, extra mouse, carrying bag. Everything. Then throw everything into the garbage. That should fix the problem. Then, take a nice drive to your local Apple Store. Let them sell you the best computer of your life. A nice Macbook, or, if you feel up to it, a Macbook Pro.

It should turn into the best day of your life. lol.
    02-08-09 05:09 AM
    Envied.

I strongly suspect the I.T. chaps checked your browsing history when you took the laptop in.

If you are remotely connecting to your work before surfing the net it is very easy for the I.T. chaps to block the site on the companies proxy server.

A lot of laptops are set-up to connect to the company network before connecting to the internet. It's a way for the I.T. team to monitor your browsing.

The other option is, someone could have changed the host file on your local machine to point at a spurious address.

If the machine is running windows 2000 or XP you can check this by going to C:\winnt or windows (depending on OS) \system32\drivers\etc and opening the hosts file using notepad.
    I cannot remotley log into their network. My guess is that he has symantic running in the background, he blocked my site there and put an admin password on it. I will try what you said though, if that is the case, how do I change it. Needless to say I am pissed, I do not want to use this site at work, but I most certainly should be able to use it at home.
    02-08-09 11:25 AM
    I surprised they don't have you running through a VPN.

If you find anything in the hosts file for the site it will be something like;

www.websitename IP address.

Just delete it. It's any old techie trick to doctor the hosts file.
    02-08-09 01:04 PM
    Envied.

where do I type tht in, how do I get to notepad? i am running XP.
    02-08-09 01:14 PM
    Start - Run - Type in notepad.

Then file - open and find the file location.
    02-08-09 01:48 PM
    Start - Run - Type in notepad.

Then file - open and find the file location.
    There is no run on start.

Thanks
    02-08-09 01:50 PM
    There is no run on start.

Thanks
    Then notepad should be in you applications menu.
    02-08-09 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD