As we all know, we are now in tax season. I am curious to know what can I claim on my taxes. I have an "accountant" that has me kind of worried. The last thing we need is an audit.

I know I can claim expenses for school such as books, a computer, tuition, loans, etc.

But she's telling me I can claim repairs done on my car, gas to get to and from work, my uniform expenses, tolls, and my lunch!

I don't know, but some of those sound ridiculous...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-10 12:18 PM
    Listen to her, thats what you pay for..... if your not feeling right go some where else. depending what kind of work you do, she might be right
    01-22-10 12:30 PM
    If I get audited, I can't come back and put the blame on her, can I? I'm a salesman and a newspaper delivery "boy" too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-10 12:34 PM
    I am in the same boat. I went from salaried to work for a small company that pays me on an hourly basis. Thus, I am deducting all of my expenses.

Check out the following link:

Tax Deduction Check List

This is my accountant's website link to all of their various tax deduction checklists.

These may give you an idea of what you can do.

I was worried about certain things. For instance, I upgraded my phone to a BB for work purposes. I knew I could deduct the cost of what I payed for the BB. HOwever, regarding the plan, I assumed I could only deduct the additional $29.99 data fee since that was the "add" for business purposes. My account has since instructed me that once I use my phone to make 1 business related call that I can deduct all portions of my phone bill (it's a family plan) that pertain to my line.

Etc.......
    01-22-10 12:57 PM
    Iv'e always heard a lot of cautions about business deductions that have a personal use tie. Mostly it's been the home office type thing. Generally the equipment, facility, etc. primary purpose must be for business, so I wonder if a personal cell phone that's used for business is deductible rather than the other way around.

Regardless, if you are getting professional help, I would heed their advice. But I would also make sure that what ever relationship you have with the person calls for that person to cover any additional tax, penalties or expenses for errors on their part. Basically errors or omissions.
    01-22-10 01:13 PM
    Listen to her, thats what you pay for..... if your not feeling right go some where else. depending what kind of work you do, she might be right
    I would be cautious. How many shady accountants have been exposed in the past?

I manage an insurance and accounting firm, and not everyone is entitled to claim gas and such.

Only certain fields can.

In the long run, is 20 dollars extra worth an audit?

Sometimes it's best just to take out a little more taxes so that you can look forward to a nicer, chunkier, refund in January....

If I get audited, I can't come back and put the blame on her, can I? I'm a salesman and a newspaper delivery "boy" too.
    Well, yes and no.

Normally when you sign your taxes your consenting that everything on the tax is true, and verified by you the taxpayer.

Also, some offices may have you sign a hold harmless clause or something.

As a paperboy, you should be able to claim your vehicle, and gas/oil expenses.

Only if they were incurred as a result of your job.

This is normally more clear cut if you have a work vehicle, and a leisure vehicle.

Because its hard to prove what was actually incurred for leisure and for work.

Normally paperboys get paid with a 1099 MISC (which can include tips), and don't have taxes taken out.

This is why expenses and deductions are applied to help the taxpayer break even and not owe taxes.

In actuality, normally it does typically break even.

Technically, I'm not your accountant, nor do I have your papers to judge appropriately.

I would find an accountant I find trustworthy, since it seems thats not the case for you now...

Good Luck

PS, see if your accountant offers AuditShield
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 01-22-10 at 02:23 PM.
    01-22-10 02:14 PM
    I have the worlds best Accountant. This guy, I am convinced has connections with the Mafia. He is the deduction God. I have recommended him to many people who, when doing there taxes via: HR Block, Turbo Tax, or by themselves get little to no refund. He manages to find the money. Who am I to question his methods.
    01-22-10 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD