I'm thinking of getting a tattoo.

I've wanted one for YEARS, and now I'm finally ready for one.

But first off, what's it like? I've heard some horror stories and I'm not sure if it's all hearsay or not.

In regards to smearing/smudging over time, wearing out, dulling, what are the chances of my skin not taking to the ink? Do people bleed?

Do I need to shave beforehand?

Also, post some of your tattoos, and rate the pain experience from 1/10!

1 being meh worthy, 10 being horrid!
    07-12-10 03:46 PM
    i have 2 tatts. the first one is a yin/yang inside of a red sun on my upper left shoulder. it didnt hurt too bad. the best i can describe: it felt like a prolonged scratch. i'll rate it a 7 but the pain will be relevent to where the tattoo is going. my second is on my right a$$/hip area. it says: "Made In Korea". that was less painful. i'll give it a 4.
    07-12-10 04:30 PM
    I want to get an ouroboros on my right leg, and a hamsa hand (or eye of horus) on my left leg...

And eventually get my name in Korean on my back...

That's all I ever plan on getting!

I'm just not sure about sizes and stuff.

Something that permanent needs to be thought well out!
    07-12-10 04:47 PM
    as long as the tattoo means something to you thats all that matters...i got two tiny tattoos done at the same time a small heart on my hip and ...the typical tramp stamp that says aquarius in chinese lol...it wasnt as bad as i had thought the back did hurt but it wasnt so painful that i couldnt handle it, i actually find getting my belly ring done hurt a lot more then getting a tattoo...ahhah for that experience id give it a 3

i got a heart with red coloring and its been...over 5 yrs and the color is still pretty good..but i know that people do go back for touch ups sometimes and i hear with that they end up messing up with the tattoo, but i guess it just depends on how good your artist is

i do believe if you are getting tattoos done on your leg that it needs to be shaved
    07-12-10 05:10 PM
    I have three. Celtic shamrock on the shoulder, a viney shamrock on the lower back and a claddagh on the ankle. I have to say that the ankle hurt the most (right on bone). I got all of them done in Ireland and love them. I put them only in a place I choose to be seen when I want them to be. I think it is great Prada that you know what you want. Make sure your artist is highly recommended from others.
    07-12-10 10:03 PM
    I have a ring that goes all the way around my neck ( had the money to start something, then went broke).

Overall, I'd rate the pain a 5/10. The only reason it's even measurable is because of the throat area. Never, I mean NEVER get a tattoo on your throat/windpipe/adam's apple. The rest was not bad, basically mildly irritating. I suppose I have a medium or normal thresh-hold for pain.

I didn't bleed as far as I could tell and I've had the tattoo for around 7 years and it hasn't faded.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 10:21 PM
    I have a ring that goes all the way around my neck ( had the money to start something, then went broke).

Overall, I'd rate the pain a 5/10. The only reason it's even measurable is because of the throat area. Never, I mean NEVER get a tattoo on your throat/windpipe/adam's apple. The rest was not bad, basically mildly irritating. I suppose I have a medium or normal thresh-hold for pain.

I didn't bleed as far as I could tell and I've had the tattoo for around 7 years and it hasn't faded.

WOW! A rare sighting of the reclusive 'Spotted Nick'.
    07-12-10 10:30 PM
    Can you post a pic nick?

I'm curious how it turned out!
    07-13-10 09:17 AM
    I had 3 tattoos but underwent the needle 4 times.

1 on the lowerback, which i later went to modify it. (nope, not a cover up but an extension). the process was bearable until approx 2 half hours later, which it started to feel really painful. Slight bleeding (7/10)

1 on back of neck. (5/10)

1 on edge of wrist (3/10) - easiest of the lot. i was joking and talking to my friends through the whole session.
    07-13-10 09:35 AM
    It really depends on where you get it, and your personal pain tolerance.
    In my experiences, once it starts, you mentally know youre past the point of no return and just deal. Also, on me, the black ink hurt a little more than when color being used.

The one on my ankle was like a scratch-tickle. the one on lower back, because of the nerve endings near spine, there were times I wanted to die when he'd hit a spot that would send a zinger down my legs.

However when compared to the piercing on back of my neck, I'd do the tattoo over in a heartbeat
    07-13-10 09:39 AM
    Its like heaven haha! Its never long enough, when the guy is done I usually ask are you sure? lol... Its addicting.. Once you get one I bet you cant wait to get the second one.

The really only thing with your second worries are the "dulling" or fading. This happens pretty much no matter what. Depending on the artist and the time he puts into it, the darker the tat will be and the longer it will stay dark. But the chances of your skin not taking the ink are extremely rare and can also depend on the tattoo artist... which again I think you'll have nothing to worry about. Bleeding all depends on the person getting tattooed and the person tattooing... I bleed a tiny tiny bit mostly when I get them, but I've had one or two that were pretty bloody. Doesn't really make any difference regardless, bleeding doesn't make it hurt less or more.

You don't need to shave beforehand because the tattoo artist will do it again most likely. Depending on the area tho, its always a good idea to trim if you're gonna be showing some skin

I have 7 tattoos and getting my 8th probably sometime next month. I have my next 15 lined up lol.

Obviously go to a reputable shop, make sure he is licensed, proper sanitation, new needles, ink etc etc. A lot of the time you can negotiate on pricing, but always make sure to tip!

If you're a sally girl and you're prone to pain, then it might hurt a little bit. Not enough though where you'd wanna give up or anything I don't think lol. I can see how for some, its more get in get out and it feels more annoying than painful. The ONLY time is was painful enough to say "DAMN" was around my elbow... THAT SH*T HURTS! But not the bad hurt though hehe. People say the wrist is pretty bad and I have one on my wrist and it was nothing.

If tattoos weren't so expensive I would have about 100 tats by now lol.

Good luck!
    07-13-10 10:01 AM
    i also got a tattoo of a prince albert (piercing myself DOWN THERE just seemed crazy!) the tattoo wasn't too bad because the weenus isn't big enough for a nerve.....did i just burn myself??
    07-13-10 12:58 PM
    Wait, so you have a tattoo on your weenus?
    07-13-10 03:10 PM
    The outline of the tattoo is not that bad, but the shading is what hurt a bit. It's like seven fine needles that they use to fill the inside of the tattoo with color. That for me was the most painful...
    07-13-10 03:13 PM
    Wait, so you have a tattoo on your weenus?
    oh...now you wanna talk to me?? lol
    07-13-10 03:16 PM
    The outline of the tattoo is not that bad, but the shading is what hurt a bit. It's like seven fine needles that they use to fill the inside of the tattoo with color. That for me was the most painful...
    mine was the exact opposite. The black outline hurt worse.
    07-13-10 03:17 PM
    I'm thinking of getting a tattoo.

I've wanted one for YEARS, and now I'm finally ready for one.

But first off, what's it like? I've heard some horror stories and I'm not sure if it's all hearsay or not.

In regards to smearing/smudging over time, wearing out, dulling, what are the chances of my skin not taking to the ink? Do people bleed?

Do I need to shave beforehand?

Also, post some of your tattoos, and rate the pain experience from 1/10!

1 being meh worthy, 10 being horrid!
    My advice: Don't get one.

I've never really understood the appeal of tattoos. Really haven't had any
    desire to get one. Ever. But good luck with the itching right after
    07-13-10 03:27 PM
    just don't go to this guy:
    07-13-10 03:39 PM

Itching eh?

Don't recall any itching, ever.
    07-13-10 03:49 PM
    Ditto on this. I found the shading and colour the worst part. I have a Hello Kitty, Japanese kanji for family, love and happiness and some cherry blossoms on my stomach/hip. The lower of the cherry blossoms was the worst, I guess because it was getting closer to the hip. That said I'd only rate the pain 4 or 5/10. I do have quite a high pain threshold tho.

I can see how people get addicted, I keep thinking about having another!

07-13-10 04:04 PM

aww Mike, c'mon......you would so rock having 'The Maestro' tatted across your abs.... in that same scrolly huge font that Mexicans use when they have their last name emblazed across the rear windshield of their 4x4 trucks.

RAWR
    spennyhaynes likes this.
    07-13-10 04:21 PM
    aww Mike, c'mon......you would so rock having 'The Maestro' tatted across your abs.... in that same scrolly huge font that Mexicans use when they have their last name emblazed across the rear windshield of their 4x4 trucks.

RAWR
    lmao like in Old English? Like a true L.A. Cholito
    07-13-10 04:31 PM
    go to tattootype.com for forums, pics and such.
    07-13-10 04:43 PM
    lmao like in Old English? Like a true L.A. Cholito
    YES!!! exactly that.
    haha

07-13-10 05:00 PM
    I've yet to get a good explanation for using Olde English, even from a Mexican. Anyone want to take a stab at that?
    07-13-10 06:55 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD