01-23-15 03:23 AM
35 12
tools
    That will teach them for not selling BlackBerry's

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    nah.uhh likes this.
    01-15-15 10:30 AM
    I don't think not selling BlackBerry phones was their problem, more like not selling anything at all.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 10:59 AM
    Very sad to see them go .

Unfortunately , many other stores are also struggling.

Only Walmart seems to be unaffected .
    01-16-15 02:27 AM
    You know I thought this would be bigger news. But nobody seems to care. The 17500 jobs just lost in the blink of an eye hurts. That blows BlackBerry's layoffs from the last few years out of the water.

Posted via CB10
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    01-16-15 09:24 AM
    Sony also announced it will shut down it's stores in Canada.
    01-16-15 09:30 AM
    Very sad to see something like this no matter how you felt about them. I'm surprised they couldn't save some of their stores and rework their strategy. Kinda like Nortel !!
    01-16-15 09:50 AM
    Target had high prices and very low store inventory.

They did it to themselves.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 09:54 AM
    I guess it's obvious, but online shopping is killing the brick and mortar stores. They simply cannot compete, inventory- or price-wise.

Our local Target was a tomb. I'd go in and there would be 3 or 4 people in there.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-15 09:58 AM
    What's sad Is I live in mississauga, ontario, Canada and Erin mills mall spent 2 years renovating so they could have target there. Always construction. And they finally finished which is sad since target is leaving. Wasted money

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 11:28 AM
    That will teach them for not selling BlackBerry's
    It's nice to see that you were able to find a silver lining for Blackberry fans among all of the sadness of people losing their jobs.
    01-16-15 12:03 PM
    What's sad Is I live in mississauga, ontario, Canada and Erin mills mall spent 2 years renovating so they could have target there. Always construction. And they finally finished which is sad since target is leaving. Wasted money

Posted via CB10
    I was thinking the exact same thing when I heard the news. They just finished the one at Erin Mills TC. Previous post was correct. 17,000 jobs lost plus all the square footage of empty realty hurts the economy. They did do it to themselves though. Target in Canada was nothing like Target in the US where they are profitable.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-17-15 12:48 PM
    I was thinking the exact same thing when I heard the news. They just finished the one at Erin Mills TC. Previous post was correct. 17,000 jobs lost plus all the square footage of empty realty hurts the economy. They did do it to themselves though. Target in Canada was nothing like Target in the US where they are profitable.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. It took forever for them to construct everything and now they have to redo it.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 12:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think the big mistake retailers are making is thinking the Canadian public is OK paying ridiculously inflated prices compared to the same items in the US... well beyond the exchange rate, as evidenced by prices when the Canadian dollar was above the US.

Shopping online let's us sidestep that kind of crap for the most part. Wish we could buy cars online.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 01:06 PM
    We have a target in our local mall. It was never busy. Biggest issue was that they had hardly any items. It was a not a place we would go to shop. It was a boring store to be honest. Sad about all the jobs lost.

Powered by BB10
    01-17-15 01:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm interested in the difference between Target Canada vs Target US. In the States Target is like an upscale Walmart, a little higher prices but nicer place to shop, generally cleaner aisles etc. Does that model not work up north?
    01-17-15 01:17 PM
    I don't think not selling BlackBerry phones was their problem, more like not selling anything at all.

Posted via CB10
    It was a joke! Their problem was pricing. They marked up everything too high except for the odd ball item

01-17-15 01:22 PM
    It was a joke! Their problem was pricing. They marked up everything too high except for the odd ball item

That's not a problem, since you couldn't buy anything from Target anyway.

Anyway, Target was a ghost town, inventory was laughable (no Christmas trees in December?), local mall spent quite a bit of time and cash renovating the old crappy Zellers into the new crappy Target for nothing.

Wal-Mart did it better.
    01-17-15 01:31 PM
    What about #AlexfromTarget

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 03:19 PM
    This is what I don't get.. Canadians will flock to the States and purchase like crazy at these stores.. they open up in Canada and don't offer half of what they offer in the States and they expect them to do just as well? Canadians aren't stupid.. I just don't get why they can't figure this out..

Posted via CB10 on my Awesome BlackBerry Passport
    01-17-15 03:41 PM
    The shopping mall is a dying concept here in the USA. Malls haven't been cool since I was a teenager in the 80s. Many malls are dead or dying. There is even a website devoted to dead malls.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk
    01-17-15 04:45 PM
    The shopping mall is a dying concept here in the USA. Malls haven't been cool since I was a teenager in the 80s. Many malls are dead or dying. There is even a website devoted to dead malls.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk
    Same here in canada

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-17-15 08:34 PM
    What is sad, at least in my area of Canada is that they bought out Zellars. Sure Zellars wasn't the best store but it was a store. It was never replaced by a Target nor has anything filled the vacant building. Capitalism at its absolute worst. Many people are out of a job, which is extremely unfortunate. Communities without a place to shop sucks as well.....

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 08:43 PM
    I'm interested in the difference between Target Canada vs Target US. In the States Target is like an upscale Walmart, a little higher prices but nicer place to shop, generally cleaner aisles etc. Does that model not work up north?
    Nope. It's the whole reason Zellers caved. It was better slightly better quality products than what Walmart offers at slightly higher pricing. Target simply came in and replicated what Zellers was already doing and providing to customers, and losing out to Walmart. They failed to compete with Walmart.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    01-17-15 09:08 PM
    A lot of the brands that Target had in the US, couldn't be sold in Canada because of Canadian laws and also the language laws.

Pricing initially was to high, they thought people would still shop there. In the end they were about 4% lower than Wal-Mart for key items. Having items in stock in my opinion was the biggest issue. They were turning things around but once you disappoint someone it's hard to get them back.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 09:11 PM
    A lot of the brands that Target had in the US, couldn't be sold in Canada because of Canadian laws and also the language laws.

Pricing initially was to high, they thought people would still shop there. In the end they were about 4% lower than Wal-Mart for key items. Having items in stock in my opinion was the biggest issue. They were turning things around but once you disappoint someone it's hard to get them back.

Posted via CB10
    Ah thats an interesting tidbit. Did Target Canada not have the in-house brands like Archer Farms, Market Pantry, Up&Up due to dual language requirements?
    01-19-15 03:04 PM
35 12