I've had a Z30 for the last nearly 6 years, and have owned BB's for over 10yrs. As it's nearing the end of its life now, I decided a while ago that my next phone would be a key2 with the extra ram, storage etc. Last week I decided snap decision to buy one from Amazon which is due to be delivered Friday.

Since I placed the order I've been seeing all the threads on here saying that you'd be silly to pay top price for a Key2 at this point in the timeline, as it is also approachiing the end of life/end of support updates etc and that Bloackberry aren't developing any more new models ..... So am I silly to buy one now? I thought I'd have a good few years before the end of support for a Key2. It'll be the most expensive phone I've ever bought, and I'm now wondering whether I should be returning it and getting a different device. Samsung/Pixel/Sony??

Help!
    12-04-19 05:57 AM
    No, it's not silly to buy a KEY2 now.

What's silly is to buy something else that you don't really want just because it's gonna be a bit newer and supported for longer.

The KEY2 is still the latest and greatest BlackBerry to date (I've owned all the KEY phones and even some good modern slabs and typing on my Black KEY2 now)

Enjoy it!
    12-04-19 07:06 AM
    I've always been very happy with Blackberries, I like the way they handle mail, and the security aspect of the Key2 appeals. I was looking forward to seeing what improvements have been made with the Key2.

I think my Z30 has been out of date for a long time, beginning when the apps start to not be supported anymore. As I said, I've had it for nearly 6yrs and I was hoping that the Key2 would be ok for at least 4 or 5 before I'm forced to replace it. I don't mind that it wouldn't be the newest/up to date as long as it still works and is not a security risk due to the OS not being supported anymore. I've not had an Android phone before, how long do the older versions of Android work without being so out of date that they are a security risk? I've read on here that alot of people aer still using the older versions.
    12-04-19 07:21 AM
    I've always been very happy with Blackberries, I like the way they handle mail, and the security aspect of the Key2 appeals. I was looking forward to seeing what improvements have been made with the Key2.

I think my Z30 has been out of date for a long time, beginning when the apps start to not be supported anymore. As I said, I've had it for nearly 6yrs and I was hoping that the Key2 would be ok for at least 4 or 5 before I'm forced to replace it. I don't mind that it wouldn't be the newest/up to date as long as it still works and is not a security risk due to the OS not being supported anymore. I've not had an Android phone before, how long do the older versions of Android work without being so out of date that they are a security risk? I've read on here that alot of people aer still using the older versions.
    BlackBerry stopped making phones three years ago but licenses the brand to BlackBerry Mobile for the KEY devices.

Key2 is running BBAndroid Oreo 8.1 and has the iconic PKB that fans love. The PKB is biggest reason to buy Key2 at this point. BBAndroid will probably not upgrade beyond Oreo 8.1 to Android 9 PIE or Android 10 going forward.

There are six months or so left of Android security updates for most if not all of BBMo/TCL models. The BBOptiemus (different licensee) Key2 model(s) already stopped getting updates.

At this point, you should get 2-3 more years of use from Key2 with reasonable confidence. At that point, the OS will be 5 versions and 5 years old with security updates long ended.

Buy the Key2 now for the PKB, if that’s important to you, but understanding the limitations. If you’ve used and prefer the VKB, there are much better options for the money, specs and years of use.
    12-04-19 07:47 AM
    I've had a Z30 for the last nearly 6 years, and have owned BB's for over 10yrs. As it's nearing the end of its life now, I decided a while ago that my next phone would be a key2 with the extra ram, storage etc. Last week I decided snap decision to buy one from Amazon which is due to be delivered Friday.

Since I placed the order I've been seeing all the threads on here saying that you'd be silly to pay top price for a Key2 at this point in the timeline, as it is also approachiing the end of life/end of support updates etc and that Bloackberry aren't developing any more new models ..... So am I silly to buy one now? I thought I'd have a good few years before the end of support for a Key2. It'll be the most expensive phone I've ever bought, and I'm now wondering whether I should be returning it and getting a different device. Samsung/Pixel/Sony??

Help!
    Listen to me....go for a Pixel 3A...if you need absolutely an Android smartphone...
    12-04-19 07:52 AM
    So why the Pixel3A? How is it better than a Key2?
    12-04-19 07:57 AM
    So why the Pixel3A? How is it better than a Key2?
    Do you mean better specs and less money if you are ok with the VKB aspect? The Key2 is the better choice for PKB devices only but that’s because there is no PKB competition.
    12-04-19 07:59 AM