There have been numerous threads about the future of BlackBerry 10, to buy or not to buy another BlackBerry 10 phone, is it worth it to buy a BlackBerry 10 phone in 2016, privacy concerns, etc. There have also been a growing number of articles on the Web about the rising use of 'dumb' phones. Check out on article from February: https://next.ft.com/content/01ba2970...1-f6219b685d74.

Question: Has anyone switched to a 'dumb' phone? Would you consider switching to a 'dumb' phone to save money, improve battery life or decouple from the digital world?

Posted via CB10 & One of Five BlackBerry 10 devices
    04-10-16 05:22 PM
    My dad has a dumb phone. But he's 85 and isn't wanting to connect to the world using a phone.
    MB64 likes this.
    04-10-16 05:39 PM
    I met a friend in the bar last night and he has a basic phone, just text, calls and physical buttons. He's happy with it!

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    04-10-16 06:42 PM
    That would be useless to me, since phone calls and texts are the things I use least. My usage is what would be done on a tablet or a PC when I'm away from my desk.
    04-10-16 07:07 PM
    I use two cans and a string.

I'm just here to establish an alibi.
    04-10-16 08:11 PM
    I could actually see this working since a lot of people have access to tablets and computers. Use your tablet or pc to connect and your phone for basic tasks.

Posted via CB10 & One of Five BlackBerry 10 devices
    04-10-16 08:27 PM
    For me, one of the most aggravating things about modern smartphones is the pathetically small battery life. I have a Nokia 230 as a backup so I am never without a charged phone, and I carried a Nokia 1100 whilst everyone else was buying iPhones.

As for privacy and disconnect - I think the only way to do this is to dump your phone in the river and head to the hills. Ownership of any phone means still being networked.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-16 04:55 AM
    I use two cans and a string.

I'm just here to establish an alibi.
    Then I tie those cans around your cans.

 I'm organic 
    04-12-16 07:21 AM
    My parents both use basic phones, they were never tech savvy and even swiping on a phone to change the current picture is quite a trouble at times. They just call, they don't even text and don't know how to get into those sort of features.

For some people this is all they need, most people attempt to learn and even with a smartphone, they have trouble with them. I had a relative who had no idea how to start a conversation by text message, only if they sent a message to her. Don't know why she needed an iphone for this..
    04-12-16 11:44 PM
    I often use 'dumb' phones as burner devices... Perfect for calls and texts. Small and compact. Lightweight. Just enough when the situation warrants the use of such a minimal -yet practical- device... Sometimes low tech > high tech

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Goldboot02 likes this.
    04-14-16 11:49 AM
    My dad has a dumb phone. But he's 85 and isn't wanting to connect to the world using a phone.
    So does my mother, and she's 72, lol

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 06:00 PM
    I'm guessing the market segment that is happy with a dumb phone in the day to day (i.e. not a burner) while being under 65 is enough to make BB10 look successful in comparison.
    04-14-16 07:14 PM
    Question: Has anyone switched to a 'dumb' phone? Would you consider switching to a 'dumb' phone to save money, improve battery life or decouple from the digital world?
    To answer your question, I am considering it for all of the above reasons. I currently have a Classic. It's a great device– I love the efficiency of the OS and its quality in general. The bottom line is that is serves its current purpose well: calls, texts, e-mails and web browsing. However, the bleak-looking future of BB10 got me thinking about what this meant for me.

I see little incentive to move to the Priv, as Android's experience is uncompelling, at times even frustrating. The Priv's hefy ~$700 price tag makes upgrading even more difficult to justify.

An upshot to upgrading is getting more frequent OS updates. I'm running 10.3.2.2514- and have been for at least five months. No over-the-air updates are available. Not sure if this is BlackBerry, T-Mobile's update-vetting process or just me. I heard about the expected security updates next month.

My phone contains a lot of personal information. Almost always, it's on and connected to the Internet. Is that really a good idea? Convenient yes, but worrisome when considering how much the OS (any mobile OS, for that matter) keeps hidden.

Not trying to sound like a curmudgeon, but as a 90s kid who wasn't constantly on the Internet, I sometimes yearn for the days when life was simpler. When you weren't pestered with notifications throughout the day. Going online was a deliberate choice, not a constant stressor. For a glimpse of what I mean, watch below or simply search dial up sound on your preferred search engine.

It doesn't quite make sense to pay twice for Internet access- one bill for the phone, another for the home. Saving hundreds each year makes switching to a bar or flip phone very tempting. Here are some I am considering:

Kyocera Rally
    Punkt MP01
    CAT B30, B100
    05-28-16 08:28 AM
    I'm guessing the market segment that is happy with a dumb phone in the day to day (i.e. not a burner) while being under 65 is enough to make BB10 look successful in comparison.
    I don't think so. There's toooo many out there still, and they're still being sold... :-D

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    06-04-16 06:55 AM
    This article lists the size of the market as 1%: http://www.theblaze.com/contribution...e-dumb-phones/

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    06-04-16 08:03 AM
    Dumb phones would not be that much cheaper since you could already buy cheap smartphones close to a price of a feature phone.

You could always use a smartphone without the data if you want to save the money. But it would be foolish to buy a feature phone to save on money.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-16 05:43 PM
    Dumb phones would not be that much cheaper since you could already buy cheap smartphones close to a price of a feature phone.

You could always use a smartphone without the data if you want to save the money. But it would be foolish to buy a feature phone to save on money.

Posted via CB10
    Unless number pad... :-)

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    06-16-16 06:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    But the battery life of feature phones lasts much, much longer. That's something dumbphone users really appreciate, since their main usage consists only of calls and sms.

*A3-A20
    06-16-16 08:14 PM
    I tried going back to a flip phone, an LG 450 (the only one currently sold by T-Mobile), for two weeks. Ended up reactivating my Classic. Even for core its functions- calling and texting- the flip phone was mediocre.

Reception was significantly worse. Perhaps it has to do with how Tmo's frequencies are deployed in my area. The call quality was iffy. I get that texting is going to be inherently slower- but I realize now just how much easier it is to manage texts on a BB.

At least I understand what it's like to have a basic phone in 2016. I didn't have to sink a bunch of money to find out, either. Mileage may vary with the other carriers.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    06-17-16 01:11 AM
    Switching to 'Dumb' or Feature Phones-maxresdefault.jpg

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 08:38 PM
    Lol my 80 year old mother uses an iPhone 6+... She loves it. Facebooks like there's no tomorrow, facetime like its in fashion. I don't think she'll go back to her Nokia brick no more.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-27-16 12:59 AM
    This article lists the size of the market as 1%: Why Do So Many Smart People Use Dumb Phones? | TheBlaze.com

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    Bout the same size market as BlackBerry Smart .
    Erik_1991 likes this.
    06-27-16 06:51 AM
    What I would do is just keep the BB10 phone that you love and use it as a feature phone as its web/app capabilities degrade.

You aren't going to find a higher quality or more ergonomic feature phone than a Q10.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-16 10:52 AM