The only suit I currently have is the one pictured below. One person mentioned to me that the pinstripes might be a bit over-the-top for an interview suit, but at Men's Wearhouse, in the "interview suits" section, there are a couple with pinstriping. What has been your experience with this? Think this one is OK? Or, should I buy a new plain charcoal grey suit?

There are some good deals on suits at Men's Wearhouse, but I don't really know what to look for in one, other than it needs to be wool.

Here are the 6 "job interview" ones they have selected:
    Job Interview | Men's Wearhouse Clothing for Men

Here are some of the ones on sale--Buy 1 Get 1 Free:
    All Designer Suit Sale | Men's Wearhouse

Also, what other general information and advice might you have?
    01-23-09 06:38 PM
    I see no problem with the suit but I don't have much in the way of fashion. As for the interview I sit strait legs crossed feet under chair. I look the person in the eye and try to answer in as short a way possible. My hands are usually in my lap. That's what I can remember of the top of my head. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 06:56 PM
    Let me preface this by stating that this comment is JUST my OPINION...nothing more. As a Social Services Director, I conduct a great number of interviews. In my personal opinion, I feel that you have a nice suit that is appropriate for the right occasion (such as the event to which you wore the suit in the picture). However, in my professional opinion, I do not feel that the suit is appropriate for a formal job interview. If I were to interview you, I would feel that you are a "party guy" based on the suit. I feel that "thinner" pinstripes are a better choice if you do choose to wear a pinstriped suit. I feel that the BEST choice for an interview suit is classic black, navy, or charcoal. Again, this was just my opinion. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR INTERVIEW!!!!
    01-23-09 07:02 PM
    Oh, I forgot to add some "tips." These are a few things that I look for when interviewing male candidates:

--neatly trimmed facial hair
    --no fidgeting
    --eye contact
    --appropriate dress (I actually had a person to show up in jeans once)
    --polished shoes
    --extra copy of resume AND cover letter
    --briefcase or portfolio
    --a sense of confidence (but not cocky)

Hope that helps!
    01-23-09 07:08 PM
    A couple of tips from someone who has been to a few job interviews
    Dress appropriate for the position - a suit is good - but its not really suitable for an interview as a labourer (slacks and a shirt or shrit with a tie may be a better choice)
    You haven't mentioned what the job is - so I would assume you think a suit is appropriate
    Make sure you are neat - comb you hair - polish your shoes - either trim your beard - or be clean shaven
    DON'T STRESS - just relax - be yourself - and be honest.
    Take a copy of your resume and the cover letter you sent them - your interviewer will have a copy - but will appreciate not having to find it the stack of resumes
    Turn your phone off or to silent - don't look at it - leave it till after the interview
    Be friendly, shake hands, when you are greeted, sit up straight, and don't be late - I try to be at least 15 mins early
    enjoy yourself - you don't need to be all stressed out

Good luck

Oh and prospective employers don't seem to like you asking for a drink or where the toilet is

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 10:23 PM
    Thank you for all the tips! I will keep them in mind.

New suit it is.
    01-24-09 07:03 PM
    I have a new thing for handshakes, especially for a job interview.

When I go to shake hands, I watch the other persons hand. I make sure that I make full contact with their hand so that you don't get that limp half of a handshake that you wish you could go back and redo. Since I have started doing this, I have not missed a handshake yet. I watch all the way until my hand is firmly gripping theirs.

I think that the right shirt and tie could make that suit work. What kind of a job is this for?
    01-24-09 10:20 PM
    If you showed up for an interview with me in that suit, it would
    be a plus. Simple, elegant, with just the right amount of personal
    flair (man is that waaaayyyy metrosexual ). Seriously I think
    that suit would acquit you well in any situation.

My only suggestion would be to consider the shirt. White or a
    much lighter blue would lend it more professional credence.
    Other than that, it is the right look. Good luck.

Always remember: Dress for the job you want, not the job
    you have.
    01-25-09 02:55 AM
    Based on having done a few interviews, here is what I like to see. Most are pretty obvious and are just general comments from what I have seen

- A plain black suit I find is best for interviews with a white shirt and a business-smart tie (no cartoon ties)
    - Keep your answers clear, concise, and to the point. Most interviewers don't want long winded answers as it is to go off-topic
    - Use effective body language and expressive speech
    - Demonstrate active listening by repeating parts of the question in your response. e.g. If the question was, how would you cure cancer, your response could be something like "The best way to cure cancer is...."
    - Don't bs your way through an answer. If you are unsure of an answer, say so. Depending on the interviewer, they want to see that you will take the initiative to find out the answer and if so, show how you would go about finding the answer e.g. look at technical resources
    - Know your CV back to front and be prepared to explain any gaps in your CV. The interviewer may want you to elaborate on a point in your CV, especially if the experience relates to the role. My suggestion is print out your CV and make a few notes on each bullet point.
    - Don't exaggerate experience or education. It is easy to see through and even if you manage to get past the interview, it is easy to trip on the job. A lot of employers are using services like Experian to do background checks on people's employment. Another thing I like to do is an interview of your peers i.e. your future colleagues willc ome in and ask technical questions
    - Depending on the type of role and the level, you may be asked to do aptitude and psychometic exams. The latter you can't practice for, nor would I recommend trying to read into the question to "guess" what the employer may want to see as these exams have a habit of asking the same question multiple times in different ways
    - Know the company you are going. Some won't ask, especially if the role is a contractual one. I used to work for a Virgin company and when candidates were asked about what our particular company did or it's history, the standard response was it was started by Richard Branson. That is where the response would stop. If only I had a $1 for each time I heard it.
    - Understand the role profile/job description/job ad. Be prepared demonstrate your experience to any of the points in the job description. If the recruiter has not given you a role profile/job description, get one before the interview.
    - Ask the recruiter to send you the CV that he/she has sent to the employer
    - Be sure you want the role and are able to commute to the employer's location
    - Lastly, arrive ahead of time and don't bring partners, kids, etc. Don't laugh, a guy brought his girlfriend to an interview (she waited in reception) and sighed everytime I asked a question.

I hope that helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    01-25-09 05:57 AM
    Not sure if it's just me or not, but being a hiring manager right now I have conducted a number of interviews. I keep seeing you guys suggesting black suits for interviews? To me a black suit should be worn at a wedding/funeral and thats about it.

Stick with charcoal or navy, white shirt, classic tie. Simple tried and true.
    01-25-09 11:09 AM
    For medical school and residencies, I wore the same suit. It's kind of dark charcoal with a hint of green if the light is right. There were times I'd show up with a group of candidates and to the person, I was the only one NOT wearing a black suit. (Men and women included)

I like to think I stood out just a bit... maybe they said, hey his grades are only barely above average, but man, can he dress up nice.... =/
    01-25-09 11:45 AM
    itsamac, more great advice, thanks for taking the time to type all that out.

amazinglygraceless, the blue is probably a bit over the top, you're right about a more subtle blue.

I bit the bullet and bought 2 more suits yesterday. Men's Wearhouse had a buy one get one sale on a few different ones, so I've got a charcoal one coming, and a darker grey with very very light pinstriping you can't see more than about 5 feet away. Going with a white shirt and a pretty neutral colored tie.

We'll see how it goes! Good advice on the handshake, that's the one thing you can never go back and do over. Luckily I have a firm but not bone crushing handshake.

The job--first choice is going for a gov't employee position at NSA doing network engineering/project management. 2nd choice would be at the same place but as a gov't contractor.
    01-28-09 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD