Hello!

My parents will be visiting me (finally!) and I want to use this time to help them get used to technology and a smartphone. My Dad's tried the blackberry and found the customization too complicated. He's not a very savy user, mind you, but now that he's retired, I think I can convince him to use something a bit more modern. My mom on the other hand is OK with gadgets but great with instructions.

My main focus is for them to be able to video chat with me and my sis as needed (we primarily use Skype at the moment) as well as have data access (to facebook, email, browse) on the go. The top of my list was the IPhone 4 or 4S, depending on price. What other phones could you guys think of and would recommend in this scenario? I've not really used android (only blackberry and iOS) so am not sure if I should get them those since I myself might not be able to trouble shoot. I will want to get them on prepaid plans while they are here but then when they do travel, want them to be able to pop in a local SIM (hence would prefer GSM).

Appreciate your input!
    03-13-13 11:47 AM
    I've always heard a baby can use an iphone so maybe that would save your best choice.
    03-13-13 11:51 AM
    Well the legacy BlackBerry OS can be very complicated to get accustomed to but the BlackBerry 10 on the Z10 is very intuitive and easy to learn with just using gestures so I'm sure once you show your parents how to use them they will become tech savy =). Skype is coming soon to BB 10 so that will be a huge plus. Also with BBM video chat it'll be a great experience considering if the other users on the other end have BB as well.

Hello!

My parents will be visiting me (finally!) and I want to use this time to help them get used to technology and a smartphone. My Dad's tried the blackberry and found the customization too complicated. He's not a very savy user, mind you, but now that he's retired, I think I can convince him to use something a bit more modern. My mom on the other hand is OK with gadgets but great with instructions.

My main focus is for them to be able to video chat with me and my sis as needed (we primarily use Skype at the moment) as well as have data access (to facebook, email, browse) on the go. The top of my list was the IPhone 4 or 4S, depending on price. What other phones could you guys think of and would recommend in this scenario? I've not really used android (only blackberry and iOS) so am not sure if I should get them those since I myself might not be able to trouble shoot. I will want to get them on prepaid plans while they are here but then when they do travel, want them to be able to pop in a local SIM (hence would prefer GSM).

Appreciate your input!

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 11:56 AM
    lol @ the baby can use an iphone comment...was actually one of the main reasons I put that on the top of the list. Plus the fact that updates are available across the board (not that I expect they will update the software on their own) as well as the handy zoom and speak feature which makes using the phone for short sighted people real easy.

I too was thinking of the Z10 for them or at least for my dad - but I'm concerned about how they will do with a full touch screen device and how they will adapt to the gestures. I worry he will say it's too complicated and not use it to the max potential. I absolutely LOVE the BBM video and screen share capability and reading the reviews about the quality, I'm really impressed. Problem will be availability of handsets and affordability. Plus try as I might, my sis is not convinced about the Z10 (she's in the UK) and wants to move to the IP5...
    03-13-13 12:06 PM
    lol @ the baby can use an iphone comment...was actually one of the main reasons I put that on the top of the list. Plus the fact that updates are available across the board (not that I expect they will update the software on their own) as well as the handy zoom and speak feature which makes using the phone for short sighted people real easy.

I too was thinking of the Z10 for them or at least for my dad - but I'm concerned about how they will do with a full touch screen device and how they will adapt to the gestures. I worry he will say it's too complicated and not use it to the max potential. I absolutely LOVE the BBM video and screen share capability and reading the reviews about the quality, I'm really impressed. Problem will be availability of handsets and affordability. Plus try as I might, my sis is not convinced about the Z10 (she's in the UK) and wants to move to the IP5...
    Just bought a z10 for my dad, same situation, he seems to be getting used to it, you just need to explain the gestures a bit for people who arent that tech savvy.
    03-13-13 12:32 PM
    Tell your sister to do a bit of research on the phone and not to get the iphone 5 just because her friends have them or that she thinks it's cool to have as a status symbol which isn't so cool anymore ;p

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 12:37 PM