I imagine a physical keyboard where each key acts as a small display

For example, if I chose to change the input language from English to Arabic, the displayed letters will change to Arabic from English

Does such a keyboard exist? If yes, how it's called?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 02:58 AM
    I think this would be difficult and costly to implement a reliable solution. The problem is the movement required in a physical key which must be (in effect) a micro display. Getting cables to each module and having each one robust enough to withstand millions of movements is not going to come cheap. That's the major economic reason for touchscreen virtual keyboards when dynamic layouts are required.
    06-21-14 04:18 AM
    I think this would be difficult and costly to implement a reliable solution. The problem is the movement required in a physical key which must be (in effect) a micro display. Getting cables to each module and having each one robust enough to withstand millions of movements is not going to come cheap. That's the major economic reason for touchscreen virtual keyboards when dynamic layouts are required.
    Maybe to simplify things, make it a hybrid.

Transparent keys on top of an LCD would be easier than 35 micro-display modules.

Just for the keypresses they would probably need to develop a different mechanism or way of registering when a keypress has been exercised.

Just an idea.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 08:15 PM
    I tried to Google this but I think my English betrayed me. I'm pretty confident something like this is out there.

First time to Google about the capacitive keyboard, I mean the one for PC, basically if they made the keys pressable not just touch responsive, it would be half way the thing I mean here.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 01:07 PM
    I recall my sister actually had a phone that had that. It was a Verizon phone that opened two different ways but had one keyboard and the buttons themselves changed characters. I don't remember who made it. And it was about 4-5 years ago.

Posted via CB10
    menshawy likes this.
    06-25-14 10:08 PM
    Found it. Samsung Zeal.

Posted via CB10
    menshawy likes this.
    06-25-14 10:09 PM
    E-ink is the method used in this Zeal.

I think BlackBerry should consider something like that, for their next physical keyboard device. If they are looking for decreasing the amount of physical keys

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 03:41 AM
    I completely agree. To me, it's really the only thing BlackBerry hasn't done with a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 08:44 PM
    E-ink is the method used in this Zeal.

I think BlackBerry should consider something like that, for their next physical keyboard device. If they are looking for decreasing the amount of physical keys

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure the draw of a PKB BlackBerry is the tactile qualities of the keyboard, not the permanently present touch keyboard of an e-ink display.

On the other hand, they could make every key a screen, but by the Nine, the price.

Posted via CB10
    menshawy likes this.
    06-27-14 10:02 PM
    Looks like we could see this keyboard in BlackBerry Visa! That's really amazing news

Check out my photography channel
    09-19-14 01:06 PM