Star Trek all the way...I have never watched a Star Wars film

Posted via CB10
    10-30-16 05:09 PM
    I love Star Wars, but I haven't seen Star Trek at all.. Is it worth watching?
    11-03-16 07:27 AM
    I think I'm more for Star Wars, because I watched most of the movies, not all the cartoons and some specials, for Star Trek I saw it several years ago (the original series) and then nothing until the new movies, one of my brothers really loves Star Trek, he also have a complete set fo DVD or something like that, but I think I'm not a huge fan of as some, not in the place to be.

One point which Star Trek has is that most of the characters are simply humans, no superpowers or something like that, in Star Wars the old way of Knights is really catching.
    11-04-16 05:04 PM
    I like them both.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 05:48 PM
    Do or do not, there is no try

Posted via CB10
    11-23-16 04:47 PM
    Star Trek, but I was pleasantly please with the latest Star Wars it was the only on I was ever able to make it to the end without theatre hopping or turn the channel.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 03:37 PM
    I think I'm more for Star Wars, because I watched most of the movies, not all the cartoons and some specials, for Star Trek I saw it several years ago (the original series) and then nothing until the new movies, one of my brothers really loves Star Trek, he also have a complete set fo DVD or something like that, but I think I'm not a huge fan of as some, not in the place to be.

One point which Star Trek has is that most of the characters are simply humans, no superpowers or something like that, in Star Wars the old way of Knights is really catching.
    Last movie was the most realistic, for Star Wars..... just about everyone dies. For some reason, in Star Wars, the bad guys are just too powerful. Luke managed to turn Vader and destroy Palpatine and yet some how the First Order still rose up, Leaving Leah still a rebellion leader of a rag tag group of fighters, Han still just a smuggler, and Luke off by himself on some backwater planet. For all they did, nothing changed for them or for most of the people they were fighting for.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    02-07-17 10:22 AM
    I love Star Wars, but I haven't seen Star Trek at all.. Is it worth watching?
    I know this was asked months ago, but I'll respond now.

Legions of fans will say that Star Trek is most definitely worth watching.

However, be aware that Star Trek is a very different animal compared to Star Wars. Star Trek started life making social commentary on things relevant in the '60s. Surprisingly, most of those issues are still relevant today, but maybe from a slightly different angle. Most original fans would say that Nu Trek (since the 2009 J.J. Abrams re-boot) has lost a lot of that. Maybe so. I still like it (except for Into Darkness), and I'm an original series fan.

The hardest thing to do would be to give advice on where to start as an introduction to Star Trek if one wanted to start into it today. I'd say start at the beginning - the original series. But you'd have to give it a lot of leeway. It was, after all, a TV show in 1966 (64-65, if you want to start with the very first pilot, "The Cage").

While often called a "low budget TV show", it actually had roughly the budget of a typical TV show at the time. That would have been fine except that most typical TV shows could use many existing costumes, props and materials. Star Trek was making and building everything from scratch - sets, props, costumes, extensive visual effects compared to other shows, and lots of alien makeup - including Spock's ears and eyebrows every morning.

Later incarnations build on what TOS started, so while others may disagree, I think it's best to already have the history in mind. Even the movies make more sense knowing the background.

Starting late last year, I've been watching TOS on blu-ray with my 18-year-old son. Going from beginning to end. Not every day, and only when we get a chance, so we are only now into the middle of the third (and last) season. Even watching with the original effects, he's enjoying it greatly. He's already been exposed to it most of his life, but just never really paid attention. Although, we did see all the Nu Trek movies in the theater together. He actually wanted a better understanding of the history of the characters.

Even now, after years of watching the show, I'm still catching little character moments - facial expressions and dialog that I just missed and only now noticing. Maybe because I'm seeing it with someone else who's seeing most of these episodes for the first time.

I love Star Wars. Watched these movies many, many times - I even have the Team Negative1 version of "Star Wars" - the original '77 version of the movie without the "episode" sub-title and in HD.

So it's not like the two are mutually exclusive. They are two different worlds, that can live in the same space.

Joel
    02-07-17 12:23 PM
    Last movie was the most realistic, for Star Wars..... just about everyone dies. For some reason, in Star Wars, the bad guys are just too powerful. Luke managed to turn Vader and destroy Palpatine and yet some how the First Order still rose up, Leaving Leah still a rebellion leader of a rag tag group of fighters, Han still just a smuggler, and Luke off by himself on some backwater planet. For all they did, nothing changed for them or for most of the people they were fighting for.
    Even when Star Wars is about a century of "revolution" I think due the size of the empire it will take several decades more, maybe that means it's just the beginning with a huge and necessary step.

I haven't watched Rogue One and I think another one will come this year (The Last Jedi).
    02-07-17 01:27 PM
    Star Wars for sure
    03-30-17 09:53 AM
    Trek has more interesting themes, philosophies, and thought experiments that challenges you and makes you think. Wars is mindless drivel with clichéd themes and ideas.
    Last edited by ominaxe; 03-30-17 at 10:22 AM.
    03-30-17 10:08 AM
    Star Wars here. Guess it made most impression during childhood.

Star Trek at that time appeared to be more complicated. Saw some movies meanwhile on tv. Like them, still didn't bring the same excitement as eg TFA did.

Looking forward to the upcoming SW movie.

Oh, also liked Battlestar Galactica series, even if it was dubbed in German. German channels being the only foreign channels we could receive during the 70ties and 80ties.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-17 04:26 PM
    I've watched Star Trek for years too, right from the Original Series. Star Wars is okay but gets too much attention and credit. Star Trek has done more for us, especially in the way of technology and most people don't realise.
    01-28-18 12:56 PM
    Star Wars here. Farscape second!
    01-28-18 01:29 PM
    Star Trek = science fiction
    Star Wars = space fantasy

Science fiction addresses issues of identity, ethics and society in a fictional context

Fantasy addresses a need for individual adventure and wish fulfillment.

Both are great, but they're very different.

I prefer Star Trek, but mostly because the Star Wars franchise has been so uneven, quality-wise.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-28-18 02:30 PM
    Discovery didn't click for me, and I don't plan on watching The Last Jedi just yet, so I guess I'll wait for The Orville to come back.
    01-28-18 03:00 PM
    Discovery didn't click for me, and I don't plan on watching The Last Jedi just yet, so I guess I'll wait for The Orville to come back.
    I'm with you. Discovery doesn't strike the right Trek chord. Serialized and simplified for the cash grab.
    01-28-18 05:31 PM
    I'm with you. Discovery doesn't strike the right Trek chord. Serialized and simplified for the cash grab.
    I might come back in a few seasons to see if it's just the usual first season weirdness or something else, assuming CBS All Access isn't the anchor that drags the show into quick cancellation.
    01-28-18 05:36 PM
    Star wars <3

Cristi
    01-28-18 05:50 PM
    Discovery is the first Star Trek I have absolutely no interest in. Being a CBS AllAccess exclusive didn't help. I'm not adding another subscription service to my growing monthly bill for a single show that already puts me off.

I loved The Last Jedi. And, as I posted a year ago, I'm an original original trilogy Star Wars (non special edition) fan.
    01-28-18 10:49 PM
    Trek's been around longer, but nothing trumps my awe when The Phantom Menace is shown on the TV screen. I like both of them, just not the newer stories.

Posted via CB10 on my outdated yet functional Q10
    04-11-18 01:29 PM
    Star Trek Discovery was a bag of crap.

Cue lens flare and a complete lack of expertise by all members of Starfleet...
    05-02-18 02:09 PM

Agreed...i did watch Star Trek when i was a kid and after Star Wars I was all about Tie Fighters and Storm Troopers
    10-09-18 03:14 AM
    But todays Star Wars is getting out of hands... or so I perceive...
    10-09-18 03:36 AM
    I really liked Discovery and was sad that they had to cancel it due to a dispute.
    I really liked Deep Space Nine, and I'm catching it again on Netflix.
    10-09-18 04:23 AM
95 1234