Folks,

Ok with the release of the new movie my Star Wars fandom is at a fire pitch, BUT truth be told I am a Star Trek person. That is I prefer the tales of Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, etc etc over the tale's from a galaxy far far away etc. Yes of course I will see the new Star Wars movie and probably love it. And yes I saw the original 3 (don't call them episodes 4, 5 and 6) in the 70ies and 80ies. I was 11 in 1977 when I saw the original with my cousins and I will NEVER forget it, BUT what I remember even more, was earlier in the 70ies watching Star Trek in syndication with my dad on TV. And the movie that REALLY excited me was Star Trek The Motion Picture in 1979, and then when it came BACK to TV in 1987.

In a kind of cool parallel the new Star Wars movie AND the Star Trek remake movies are all directed by JJ Abrams, one of my favorite TV and film directors. Can anyone say FRINGE! So what do you all think? Are you Star Wars or Star Trek? Or BOTH! I guess I'm both!
    12-21-15 11:01 AM
    Folks,

Ok with the release of the new movie my Star Wars fandom is at a fire pitch, BUT truth be told I am a Star Trek person. That is I prefer the tales of Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, etc etc over the tale's from a galaxy far far away etc. Yes of course I will see the new Star Wars movie and probably love it. And yes I saw the original 3 (don't call them episodes 4, 5 and 6) in the 70ies and 80ies. I was 11 in 1977 when I saw the original with my cousins and I will NEVER forget it, BUT what I remember even more, was earlier in the 70ies watching Star Trek in syndication with my dad on TV. And the movie that REALLY excited me was Star Trek The Motion Picture in 1979, and then when it came BACK to TV in 1987.

In a kind of cool parallel the new Star Wars movie AND the Star Trek remake movies are all directed by JJ Abrams, one of my favorite TV and film directors. Can anyone say FRINGE! So what do you all think? Are you Star Wars or Star Trek? Or BOTH! I guess I'm both!
    BOTH. Star Wars for solid action, Star Trek for yhought-provoking lessons in the humanities. I was extremely irritated with JJ when I first watched his reboot of the franchise, until I got to the ice cave scene and Spock explained everything (no spoiler recap). That was brilliant.

Finally caught TFA, that was outstanding. Love the harks back to the original trilogy.
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 12-25-15 at 10:45 PM.
    pkcable likes this.
    12-21-15 11:19 AM
    Folks,

Pretty much the same, was also eleven when I saw Star Wars... was at a Drive In theater.

But yeah I was more hooked on Star Trek that had been in syndication earler in the 70's.... (and Dr Who which was on PBS at the time). Really didn't care that much for the later two Star Wars - or even the ones that followed but preceded. Then again the Star Trek movies were also pretty hit and miss over the years.

Did go to Star Wars the Force Awakens on Thursday night, bought IMAX Tickets back in Oct.... so I must be a fan. Really enjoyed the movie. What was interesting is they had a preview for the Star Trek Beyond movie.... audience cheered for it, so there must be a lot of fans that love both.

Can't believe they are going to blow up another Enterprise......
    pkcable likes this.
    12-21-15 11:28 AM
    I like them both. But I am getting sick of Khan Noonien Singh. KHAAAAANNNN!
    pkcable likes this.
    12-21-15 11:28 AM
    I am definitely more of a Star Trek girl. I don't hate Star Wars, I'm just not that into it.
    bbnrs likes this.
    12-21-15 12:49 PM
    I was 11 in 1977 when I saw the original with my cousins and I will NEVER forget it, BUT what I remember even more, was earlier in the 70ies watching Star Trek in syndication with my dad on TV. And the movie that REALLY excited me was Star Trek The Motion Picture in 1979, and then when it came BACK to TV in 1987.
    I have never before seen "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" and "excited" in the same train of thought.

Anyway, I think Star Trek at its best is better than Star Wars at its best, while Star Trek at its worst is worse than Star Wars at its worst.

I mean, Wrath of Khan > Empire Strikes Back, but Attack of the Clones > Tom Paris turning into a lizard.
    12-21-15 01:47 PM
    12-21-15 02:42 PM
    Star Trek for me too I haven't been able to finish a Star Wars movie (yet).

With the exception of Deep Space Nine though, I have watched every Startrek episode to date
    12-21-15 03:53 PM
    Star Trek for me too I haven't been able to finish a Star Wars movie (yet).

With the exception of Deep Space Nine though, I have watched every Startrek episode to date

Is it sad that I HAVE seen every DS9? Heck I've even seen the Animated series! And I've even seen just about every fan made episode out there too! Hidden Frontiers anyone?
    12-21-15 05:39 PM
    Star trek

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    12-21-15 05:58 PM
    Star Trek doesn't have light sabers, TIE fighters or Star Destroys.

Star Wars For me.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-15 05:58 PM
    If I had to pick one, I'd go with Star Wars. Not to say I don't like Star Trek.

They're both Sci-Fi but different enough in character that I enjoy different things about them. Star Trek is sort of like a vision of what our future could be like. It's not inconceivable that that we will have the tech that we see in it. Whereas Star Wars is firmly planted in action/adventure/fantasy...not unlike Lord of the Rings but set in space.
    12-22-15 12:20 AM
    Both, but leaning a bit more towards Star Trek

"Star Trek The Motion Picture" was my least favorite ST film though. The one with Picard and him younger self sucked too, although not as badly. The rest I enjoyed.
    12-22-15 06:13 AM
    ...With the exception of Deep Space Nine though, I have watched every Startrek episode to date
    I've started re-watching DS9 recently. I have to admit that some episodes or plots I have to skip so that I don't vomit. So much cheese. I don't know WTF. Some episodes are great, and some are bad. I get that you need to have character development, but do I really need to see Quark's naked mother. And Jake's character should have been killed in the fist season. I can't stand him. He adds nothing to the story except irritation and boredom. Now, once you get to Season 4 and the Dominion starts to come into play, it's hard not to binge watch until the very end
    12-22-15 06:23 AM
    Both, but leaning a bit more towards Star Trek

"Star Trek The Motion Picture" was my least favorite ST film though. The one with Picard and him younger self sucked too, although not as badly. The rest I enjoyed.
    Say what you want about Shatner's search for God, but at least I could finish that movie.
    12-22-15 09:23 AM
    Say what you want about Shatner's search for God, but at least I could finish that movie.
    Agreed.

I don't really get the lower score of ST 5 on rotten-tomatoes vs. the Motion Picture (ST 1). ST 5, budget-castrated by Paramount, is at least a Star Trek movie with some interesting character development. ST 1, on the other hand, I would not classify as a "Star Trek movie"; there is hardly any Star Trek story there, just a lot of dragging-on-forever sci-fi visuals. I've seen ST 1 once, some 20 years ago, and I would not put myself through that pain again.
    12-22-15 10:14 AM
    Star Trek doesn't have light sabers, TIE fighters or Star Destroys.

Star Wars For me.

Posted via CB10
    Star Wars doesn't have replicators and transporters/teleporters.

But I enjoy both Star Trek & Star Wars.
    12-22-15 10:41 AM
    Trek!
    12-22-15 11:08 AM
    Star Wars
    TomatoPaste likes this.
    12-22-15 07:10 PM
    Star Trek
    TomatoPaste likes this.
    12-22-15 07:10 PM
    Star Wars
    Star Trek
    I'm so confused! I didn't know I'd have to make a choice.
    TomatoPaste likes this.
    12-22-15 07:11 PM
    I'm going to go with Star Wars, not that I don't like Star Trek (must have seen every episode from all the series at least ten times)

But the Star Wars games wow, love them!

X-Wing Alliance is my favorite game of all time. Hope Disney releases a new space sim and no more of this Battlefront trash.

Kinda contradicted myself there lol

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-22-15 08:05 PM
    I never get the chance to see a SW movie in full so maybe that's it.

SW in brief:
    "I have the force".
    "What force?"
    "I can move stuff with my mind...
    and make nose bleed."
    "And?"
    "A cool light saber"
    ".."
    "It whines."
    " 'kay".
    12-22-15 08:32 PM
    I'm going to go with Star Wars, not that I don't like Star Trek (must have seen every episode from all the series at least ten times)

But the Star Wars games wow, love them!

X-Wing Alliance is my favorite game of all time. Hope Disney releases a new space sim and no more of this Battlefront trash.

Kinda contradicted myself there lol

Hey, Battlefront 2 is the best non-KOTOR Star Wars game of all time.

Conversely, Star Trek games are all stinkers save Star Trek Online.
    12-22-15 09:21 PM
    Hey, Battlefront 2 is the best non-KOTOR Star Wars game of all time.

Conversely, Star Trek games are all stinkers save Star Trek Online.
    I need a solid single player campaign in me games.

12-22-15 10:47 PM
95 123 ...