I am beginer, but I need to put my question here...
    Do you know what can i do with my friend - to disaccustom to alco-drinking?

Sports or easier walks in the forest, at open air?
    04-16-10 12:14 PM
    Alcoholism is a serious and life threatening condition.

If you want to be part of your friends solution, you need to understand what is happening and why nothing you want matters in any way to them.

Al-Anon/Alateen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Al-Anon and Alateen are international organizations jointly known as Al-Anon Family Groups with a membership of over half a million men, women and teens, providing a twelve-step program of recovery for friends and family members of alcoholics. ...
    04-16-10 12:33 PM
    Alcoholism is a serious and life threatening condition.

If you want to be part of your friends solution, you need to understand what is happening and why nothing you want matters in any way to them.

Al-Anon/Alateen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was going to suggest Al-Anon as well.

However, if your friend doesn't wanna quit, he/she probably won't. But always try and be there for him/her.
    04-16-10 07:02 PM
    i always thought booze and/or drugs was for escapism & to get a buzz, to break some kind of boredom. start getting into 'ectreme' sports? go to theme parks with the biggest scariest rides? or just go somewhere scenic that is stimulating enough to take this away (temporarily ofcourse). could be costly, but getting away from addiction is not easy.

unless it's something really life destroying then no real need to kill it off completely is there? i mean, if you wittle it down to something done as a treat then it's something to look forward to, but if it stops completely they may be pining for it. just find something enjoyable (stimulating, not boring) to fill in the gaps.

good luck
    04-17-10 04:23 AM
    First, read Reed McLay's post above and hit the links to Al-Anon / Alateen and learn all that you can about it. There's no way you're going to be any heip to your friend as long as you think he's doing it for fun. And there's no way he'll ever be able to regulate it into something that's harmless. He doesn't need wild rides, he's already on one. If you give him 'just one drink' he'll crave 10 more, and he'll get them later. Never take him to a bar, and don't become his 'designated driver'. He has a lifelong condition. Say he starts his recovery tomorrow, and stays clean and sober for 10 years. Then he 'jumps off the wagon', (nobody just falls off), he goes right where he was when he quit. If he was a 2 bottle a day guy, that's where he'll start. If you want to help, keep it simple. Learn everything you can about recovery. Be his friend, not his judge. And yes, join him for a leisurely stroll in the park and just talk. And if your phone rings, hit the ignore key. Good luck...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-10 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD