Folks,

Thought it might be interesting to start a topic about songs that evoke an emotional response. That is they give you chills, or bring tears to your eyes. This is a sign (for me) of a really good song. Any genre is acceptable.

Here are 3 of mine....

1. Loving You - Minnie Riperton

2. The Great Gig in the Sky - Pink Floyd

3. Belle - Cast Notre Dame de Paris (French)

What songs turn you on?
    10-19-09 10:10 AM
    There is one song that makes me cry every time I hear it.

At This Moment by Billy Vera

Every word of that song speaks from me to my ex-h when he sat me down and told me it was over. Even though that was a few years ago and I have moved on, when I hear it I cry because it takes me back. Usually I just turn it off.

Mazzy Star- Fade Into You and The Sundays cover of Wild Horses.......something about those 2 songs just does something to me.
    10-19-09 10:17 AM
    heart breaking :
    What a wonderfull world. my cousin that was murdered - her favorite song.
    10-19-09 10:21 AM
    Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here, the entire album just gives me goosebumps, especially Shine on You Crazy Diamond and Welcome to the Machine.

Very heavy metal song which is almost entirely instrumental- Ashes of the Wake by Lamb of God has a speech/interview about the war in Iraq from a former marine that is quite chilling.

Space Oddity and The Man Who Sold the World by David Bowie just because I like the songs so much, they get me excited.

Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin, brings back memories.

Idioteque by Radiohead brings back some memories, not necessarily great memories but it make me emotional nonetheless.

Rush- Moving Pictures and 2112 are both amazing albums that give me chills.
    10-19-09 10:42 AM
    There is one song that makes me cry every time I hear it.

At This Moment by Billy Vera

Every word of that song speaks from me to my ex-h when he sat me down and told me it was over. Even though that was a few years ago and I have moved on, when I hear it I cry because it takes me back. Usually I just turn it off.

Mazzy Star- Fade Into You and The Sundays cover of Wild Horses.......something about those 2 songs just does something to me.
    Oh yea that IS a good one, here's Billy doing it live....

heart breaking :
    What a wonderfull world. my cousin that was murdered - her favorite song.
    Great song! Here's a special version by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (It's a medley with Somewhere Over the Rainbow)

10-19-09 10:45 AM
    Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here, the entire album just gives me goosebumps, especially Shine on You Crazy Diamond and Welcome to the Machine.

Very heavy metal song which is almost entirely instrumental- Ashes of the Wake by Lamb of God has a speech/interview about the war in Iraq from a former marine that is quite chilling.

Space Oddity and The Man Who Sold the World by David Bowie just because I like the songs so much, they get me excited.

Idioteque by Radiohead brings back some memories, not necessarily great memories but it make me emotional nonetheless.

Your mention of Pink Floyd.....I forgot about High Hopes. One of my favorite songs. So haunting
    10-19-09 10:46 AM
    A Note To God - Charice
    10-19-09 10:51 AM
    Pink Floyd ranks very high among my (and alot of other peoples) top bands.

Roger Waters was a musical genius, he wrote all of the music and lyrics of Dark Side of the Moon (the only one I can remember currently he takes full credit for) and it is a masterpiece of modern music. Really reminds me of a modern opera.
    10-19-09 10:54 AM
    Oh yea that IS a good one, here's Billy doing it live....

]
    Cant. Click. That. Link......not at work anyway, Id be a mess. Tonight Im checking it out though (with Kleenex) haha
    10-19-09 10:55 AM
    Claire De Lune by pretty much anyone.

Say Goodbye to Love by The Carpenters

Superstar by Luther Vandross

California by Phantom Planet

Gotta Be by Jagged Edge
    10-19-09 10:56 AM
    ANYTHING by Pink Floyd, I'm down with that! And i agree Roger Waters is a genius.

Here's Floyd gem (interestingly post Waters). I LOVE the sax on this song....

10-19-09 11:00 AM

arrrrgh! Radiohead = best makeout music ever!
    10-19-09 11:04 AM
    PK, you ever heard the Dub Side of the Moon?

If you haven't, it's a band called the Easy Star All-Stars. The album is a complete cover of Dark Side of the Moon, reggae style. I don't think it's done second for second so you can't sync it with The Wizard of Oz (which is another reason Pink Floyd is so awesome) but still very cool.
    10-19-09 11:07 AM
    arrrrgh! Radiohead = best makeout music ever!
    I'll keep that in mind... baby. *wink*
    Last edited by RobotnumberOne; 10-19-09 at 11:27 AM.
    10-19-09 11:07 AM
    Many songs give me the chills and goosebumps. Last week I heard the full studio recording of the Pirates of the Caribbean theme on the radio. Pretty intense. Beethoven's Ninth, especially the Ode to Joy choir also does the trick.

Last song to bring me to tears? Pippin's Lament from LotR:Return of the King. But in my defense I was delirious from mono...
    10-19-09 11:15 AM
    I really like Propane Nightmare by Pendulum

10-19-09 11:28 AM
    Here Comes the Sun by The Beatles.

What an awesome song all by itself but I've got memories of listening to it during sunrise after very long nights.
    10-19-09 11:37 AM
    Nirvana- Rape Me

Makes me hungry for Subway sammiches
    10-19-09 11:40 AM
    Nirvana- Rape Me

Makes me hungry for Subway sammiches
    Nirvana understood that if you were ever to get raped, it's because you deserve it. Not because the raper is a **** (wow, can't say j-e-r-k? Ok, evil, then), no, because YOU deserve it.
    10-19-09 11:43 AM
    Alright, first of all lets get this out. I ain't no punk,

Bette Midler - One For My Baby... (on the last Carson Tonight Show)

Far Away - Nickelback

Ave Maria - Maria Callas

After The Love Has Lost Its' Shine - Regina Belle

A House Is Not A Home - Luther Vandross

Missing - Everything But The Girl
    10-19-09 12:27 PM
    Marc Broussard - Gavin's Song.
    Misery Signals - Difference of vengeance and wrongs.
    Trevor Hall - Lime Tree
    Dead Poetic - Vices, Paralytic.
    10-19-09 12:34 PM
    Bob Seger tugs on my heart strings, expecially Night Moves.
    10-19-09 12:36 PM
    How could I forget Sinatra?? I love him. I got all teary eyed to Fly Me To The Moon during the Bellagio fountain show. Also Time To Say Goodbye by Andrea Bocelli. I think the tears was because I was overcome by the awesomeness of the tall shooting dancing waters, but I get goosebumpy when I hear those songs because I recall the razzle dazzle. Sinatra makes me want to chill back, drink martinis and get stoopid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 12:36 PM
    Alright, first of all lets get this out. I ain't no punk,
    "If you ain't no punk, holla 'we want prenup, we want prenup!'"

I love anything Luther Vandross.
    10-19-09 12:40 PM
    Gives me chills/makes me emotional;
    Arlington - Trace Adkins
    War All of Time - Thursday
    The Other Side - Smile Empty Soul
    Silhouettes - Smile Empty Soul
    Amazing - Janelle

Brings me to tears;
    Closing Time - Semisonic
    Untitled - Simple Plan
    Hugged by You - Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen (dorky, I know but I was 8 when my Grandma, who I was extremely close to, died on my birthday and this song always brings me to tears because it makes me think of her)
    Here Comes Goodbye - Rascal Flatts
    My Immortal - Evanescence

There are a lot more but these were the ones I could think of without going through my iTunes library.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by KasiCatastrophe; 10-20-09 at 01:24 AM.
    10-19-09 01:17 PM
108 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD