350 LONG shares of RIMM @ $28. RIMM @ 32 level tempted to sell some. Anyone has any idea of whats about to come? earnings surprise,etc? appreciate it.
    08-30-11 10:43 AM
    The sentiment is changing. I think everyone jumped on the negative band wagon and sunk the share. It was severly oversold. Now that a few long time bears are turning bull, everyone is getting on the positive band wagon and the shares are moving back up. There was never a reason for the stock to be at 21$.

As for earnings surprise. I don't think they are gonna blow us out of the water with this earning calls since the devices weren't out very long but I think the next one will be quite surprising.
    08-30-11 11:18 AM
    I Agree...shorts are covering and I feel something is up. Two upgrades in the past week, I think PB sales and OS will surprise! RIMM Should be in the high 30s next week. Thanks.
    08-30-11 11:27 AM
    it's also trying to fill that gap from the last earnings call. gap gets filled 34.67. i would hang on at least until then.
    08-30-11 11:43 AM
    I forget when the next earnings call for RIM is.... Isn't it in September?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 12:03 PM
    I forget when the next earnings call for RIM is.... Isn't it in September?

September 15th
    08-30-11 12:07 PM
    September 15th
    Thank you. I will be tuned in for sure.

08-30-11 12:08 PM
    So far the stocksmaster rollercoaster is climbing that hill. Once it plunges, be prepared for a thriller of a ride! (Jk, lol)

I haven't been on a coaster in so long.

08-30-11 12:09 PM
    I Agree...shorts are covering and I feel something is up. Two upgrades in the past week, I think PB sales and OS will surprise! RIMM Should be in the high 30s next week. Thanks.
    Well it's gained 37.5% since aug 8th up to yesterdays close price. It's also up an additional 5% today. At 32$ it would have gained 50% from its bottom in just 3 weeks. So as the price rises, people will start to get aboard and keep pushing the price up.

The PB sales are apparently doing very well, especially in australia from what I've read. I believe people will be quite surprised with the amount sold and I garantee that every article will say, although nothing compared to the iPad sales, it's still respectable.

New OS is slowly gaining momentum. I'm finding alot of the reviews are pretty good and some are having trouble giving it it's dues since they spent so long bashing RIM and don't want to admit that the new OS is excellent.

Analysts as well will start to rethink their ridiculously low estimates of high teens, low 20s. With every analysts upgrade the stock seems to jump 4-5%.

If they don't completely disappoint on the earnings call, I can see the stock around 50$-55$ before year end.
    08-30-11 12:17 PM
    it's also trying to fill that gap from the last earnings call. gap gets filled 34.67. i would hang on at least until then.
    filling up gap, crossed and closing above EMA 50, RIMM has not closed above 50 EMA since March. 13 about to cross 50 EMA. A lot of bullish technical. Thanks! Hanging on all of my shares. Is anyone using a stock tracker app in their PB. Market live sucks. I had to use CNBC to get a RT quote.
    08-30-11 12:17 PM
    As most of you on this forum know, I've always been a big supporter of RIM and never hopped on the RIM bashing bandwagon the past few months like many others did (not here of course, mainly on other sites/forums). In my opinion if any company is capable of bouncing back from a few tough months it's definitely RIM and I still see many good things in the future for them.
    08-30-11 12:33 PM
    A possible buy out? Or a partnership announcement? Or shareholder anticipation of good quarter sales figures?
    Last edited by Shlooky; 08-30-11 at 01:24 PM.
    08-30-11 12:45 PM
    A possible buy out? Or a partner ship announcement? Or shareholder anticipation of good quarter sales figures?
    More like the doom and gloomers waking up a little since the new handset release realizing the company isnt' going bankcrupt. lol
    Shlooky likes this.
    08-30-11 01:18 PM
    The only "BIG" thing coming is QNX, but I'm happy as can be my stock price is up!! The release of the latest devices will sustain some growth and get stock closer to where it should be all while giving RIM the space it needs until QNX is released. It surely isn't dead. )
    drjay868 likes this.
    08-30-11 02:04 PM
    More like the doom and gloomers waking up a little since the new handset release realizing the company isnt' going bankcrupt. lol
    More like, as you say"doom and gloomers" have given up-moved on and are not wasting their time anymore.

RIM is not going bankrupt right now.

A small uptick in things will occur during this period of OS7 phone rollouts and will continue when the so called "PlayBook 2" release is made.

BUT 1st quarter into 2nd quarter 2012 could be brutal on RIM and many other companies.

Don't count your eggs just yet.

Be hopeful. Be realistic. Be smart.

Tim
    drjay868 likes this.
    08-30-11 02:49 PM
    Nothing has changed, and RIM isn't in a fundamentally better or different place, than it was a month ago.

You think the stock has risen because of the new handsets? LOL... The reception hasn't been that overwhelming to cause that kind of price increase. And besides, the new phones have been priced into the stock for a while...

No the stock is going up because of the Motorola-purchase, and the possibility of RIM being bought up becoming more likely. All the people buying RIM stock are buying it cause they think somebody, maybe Microsoft will buy RIM..

While current RIM owners probably appreciate the new phones, they're not making any waves elsewhere, and won't be enough to attract the many customers that RIM have lost over the last two years. And while the reviews have all said: "nice, but not nice enough" the two trends that are killing RIM continue: 1: They're losing marketshare (down to 11%) and 2: They're losing theory corporate customers.

RIM hasn't turned the corner yet, and unfortunately, its not even up to them anymore. Even a perfect QNX-phone launch and perfectly executed transitions might not be enough anymore.

08-30-11 03:23 PM
    The only "BIG" thing coming is QNX, but I'm happy as can be my stock price is up!! The release of the latest devices will sustain some growth and get stock closer to where it should be all while giving RIM the space it needs until QNX is released. It surely isn't dead. )
    Well the PlayBook relaunch if played right COULD be a bit of a biggie, BUT knowing RIM, it probably won't be. HOWEVER, we can hope. And even though the WiMax PB was cancelled perhaps the Verizon LTE one is still coming????
    08-30-11 03:28 PM
    Nothing has changed, and RIM isn't in a fundamentally better or different place, than it was a month ago.

You think the stock has risen because of the new handsets? LOL... The reception hasn't been that overwhelming to cause that kind of price increase. And besides, the new phones have been priced into the stock for a while...

No the stock is going up because of the Motorola-purchase, and the possibility of RIM being bought up becoming more likely. All the people buying RIM stock are buying it cause they think somebody, maybe Microsoft will buy RIM..

While current RIM owners probably appreciate the new phones, they're not making any waves elsewhere, and won't be enough to attract the many customers that RIM have lost over the last two years. And while the reviews have all said: "nice, but not nice enough" the two trends that are killing RIM continue: 1: They're losing marketshare (down to 11%) and 2: They're losing theory corporate customers.

RIM hasn't turned the corner yet, and unfortunately, its not even up to them anymore. Even a perfect QNX-phone launch and perfectly executed transitions might not be enough anymore.

I thought the price of the shares went up on the excitement of new devices and that Irene didn't devastate the east coast.
    08-30-11 03:32 PM
    Well the PlayBook relaunch if played right COULD be a bit of a biggie, BUT knowing RIM, it probably won't be. HOWEVER, we can hope. And even though the WiMax PB was cancelled perhaps the Verizon LTE one is still coming????
    It'll probably also be cancelled, as carriers are losing interest. Sales have just been too poor, and its doubtful that a relaunch will help.

October is when we will hear about the first quad core tablets, maybe even see some, so the hardware in the playbook will be too old to compete for attention.

08-30-11 03:57 PM

Just a few points I think are of interest.
    1- A month ago, they didnt' ahve new devices out so that wasn't helping their eroding share. They have devices out now so at least that's helping.

2- I think it's already pretty obvious they won't be bought out with the Co-CEOs voting shares being able to make the last call and the canadian gov not allowing them to be sold.

3- Everyone keep taking about how they are losing market share but people don't seem to understand that although RIM is losing market share, it doesn't make that its all a bunch of people jumping ship. It simply means with the increasing number of people who are buying smartphones, more of those people are buying apple or android. ComScore just announced there was a 10% increase in smartphone owners in the US in the last 3 months. If there was 8million more smartphones sold and RIM sold only 10% of those, it's still sales.

Rim is still highly profitable and tons of cash so really a less that 5x price of 21$ was absurd. Analysts are starting to realize that with the companies value and patents they hold as well.
    08-30-11 04:24 PM
    Every store in town here is always sold out of playbooks, is that a sign they are selling? Or does it mean they arnt getting shipped?
    08-30-11 04:32 PM

You, sir, are mistaken. RIM is not in a fundamentally different place, I can agree with that, but no one is going to do a hostile takeover of RIM, and if someone wanted to take over RIM, it would only be possible through hostile means. The stock is rising for whatever reason(s), but among the reasons is QNX, new handsets, RIM's very strong international sales, RIM's direction, the fact that Google will likely lose a major legal battle, (the list goes on and on: Cyclone media box, BBM music, inking deals with recording labels, possible partnerships with media giants)... there are many wonderful things going on behind the scenes at RIM, but negotiating a buy-out or takeover is NOT one of them.

08-30-11 05:14 PM
    Just my 2 little bit. I was in Hong Kong and Singapore last week and in both places, the PB was sold out in every shop unless you are willing to take the display model in the ones you can find a display on. Also, they wont take pre-payment for the new 9900 because they aren't sure they will get enough of the phones. retailers in both countries say the new not yet released BB devices have alot of pre-bookings.
    08-30-11 07:42 PM
    Just my 2 little bit. I was in Hong Kong and Singapore last week and in both places, the PB was sold out in every shop unless you are willing to take the display model in the ones you can find a display on. Also, they wont take pre-payment for the new 9900 because they aren't sure they will get enough of the phones. retailers in both countries say the new not yet released BB devices have alot of pre-bookings.
    I'm a firm believer that RIM's global push and rapid expansion is a big reason why RIM does not put to much of a PR focus on much of America's negative media sentiment, as they have a much more ambitious initiative underway. Over 225 carrier partnerships and a massive global roll out of some impressive phones, there is a much more pressing matter at hand.

RIM's PR in America can become a strategic focus as negative media attention is moved on to another party or issue in the US. There is no need to extinguish any flames at the moment as they have a means to extinguish themselves . OS 7 devices will have a good sell through in the US. That is a given. Once RIM is fully transitioned with QNX devices. "RIM 2.0", can then ramp up PR and a campaign of shifting perception in the US. This would be a huge waste of resources on RIM's part currently at the moment. They have to keep their focus on the much , much larger scheme of things! Which is the global picture. We live in a global economy and the US market isn't as critical as it once was.

Eventually media in America will move away from it's focus on RIM, and when key media outlets ride on a positive tone of RIM's state in the not too distant future , of which will harbor a more prudent outlook. We see the catalyst of this with the new device's launched and for the most part a well received launch.

RIM's PR's are a wasted resource fighting the onslaught of the US media machine while in a negative gear. IMHO they should and will strategically run a full our PR blitz when the tide has shifted in the US media, and piggy back off of a more positive tone. Why paddle upstream when they can drift down the river sharing positive media synergie's
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 08-30-11 at 09:14 PM.
    08-30-11 09:06 PM
    More then likely the reason the stock is up so much is the company wasn't as bad as everyone thought in the first place. On the low end of company estimates the stock should still be at $43.

Everyone just ganged up on the company bc they dont understand that the world is bigger then their own backyard.

I'm sure that people leaving those other two devices for the BlackBerry is helping out the sediment also.
    08-30-11 09:10 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD