Hello, I need some help deciding between two laptops and was wondering if someone could give me some advice/opinions. I am a 18 year old, during his first year of college, only in community for now but plan to transfer after this semester. Therefore I want to buy myself a nice laptop for my dorm so I don't have to carry along my desktop!

I've pretty much got it narrowed down between two different configurations one by HP and one by Sony. I just want an overall rounded laptop that will fit my needs! Which will include bringing it to class for all my papers/notes and school work, as well as having it my dorm for entertainment, as in movies games and what not. I have never owned either brand of laptop and would just like some opinions from some of you. Thanks in advance! Here are the setups!

HP HDX Series
    HP® Official Store — Buy and Customize your HDX18 and HDX18t series PC direct from HP

Sony Vaio FW Series
    https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...52921665729701

The specs are on the right side or you can see them here.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53GHz)
    Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit
    Black
    4 GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx2)
    250 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [5400 rpm]
    Blu-ray Disc™ Read Only Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 with 512MB vRAM
    LCD 16.4" (XBRITE-FullHD™)
    Microsoft® Works
    Video Standard
    WLAN (802.11a/b/g/n) with integrated Bluetooth® technology
    Standard Battery
    Last edited by cjro9; 01-22-09 at 01:54 PM.
    01-22-09 01:51 PM
    I guess it kinda depends on what you're looking for. The HP has a better graphics card and a larger display. The Sony is running 64 bit so you'll be able to use more memory, hence the 4gig vs. 3gig. 32 bit OS will only recognize up to 3.75gig. The Sony does have a faster proc though. The HP has a better optical drive. I would personally go with the HP for what it's worth.
    01-22-09 04:50 PM
    I guess it kinda depends on what you're looking for. The HP has a better graphics card and a larger display. The Sony is running 64 bit so you'll be able to use more memory, hence the 4gig vs. 3gig. 32 bit OS will only recognize up to 3.75gig. The Sony does have a faster proc though. The HP has a better optical drive. I would personally go with the HP for what it's worth.
    Haha thanks for your input! I was leaning to the Sony out of cheer look compared to the HP, but you make a good point!
    01-22-09 05:21 PM
    .........get a MAC!!!

One word you NEVER hear from anyone with a MAC: Virus!

Never happens.........never.

They have sweet machines that run fast, smooth, plenty of memory, and you will love it.

Both my kids have them and their campus is completely wireless. I have never heard ONE complaint.
    01-22-09 07:52 PM
    Heres one both of those rigs up there for the price kill Mac's in performance tests all around. To get the same performance with a mac, I'd probably have to spend around 2 grand haha.
    01-22-09 08:18 PM
    I just helped my brother threw getting a new laptop:
    AMD Truon processor
    3GB Ram
    160 GB hard drive
    15.4 in screen
    etc...
    For my work I got his old laptop free
    AMD Sempron
    512MB ram
    60GB hard drive
    15in screen......
    I'm ordering a new keyboard cause his is 3 years old, a new mouse and upgradin the RAM to 2GB it maxes at 4.
    The name ain't nothing anymore. watch your BUS speed and processor Ghz and you should be fine...Most anything will deal with college though. It's Gaming my brother needed upgraded for.
    01-30-09 05:37 PM
    Our sony vaio has caused us nothing but problems.....sony said its cause their auto updates are conflicting with Vista. Not all sony vaio owners have this issue though!!!
    01-30-09 06:24 PM
    I'd be cautious about going 64-bit. If I'm not mistaken, some apps may not work properly if they were designed for a 32-bit machine. But, it depends on what you plan on running on your machine.

Actually, if you're 100% sure you're attending that college, you may want to see what kind of system(s) they are running. Depending on the institution, they might have "preferred" programs or requirements that your computers need to access their network. If you're looking at programs like Microsoft Office, some institutions have a students-only deal.

Macs may be an issue if your institution doesn't support them if you have to log onto the network.
    01-30-09 06:36 PM
    Get a Mac
    01-31-09 08:20 AM
    Get a locking tether for it as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 08:24 AM
    Just get an Imac; it'll never have the problems that you would experience with Windows. Vista sux the big one @ this point even with all their supposed updates to make a 'smooth transition'. Trust me; I am not the only that has experienced problems with their supposed great base experience. Apple IMAC ftw!
    02-01-09 06:46 AM
    I vote HP. My Compaq (HP) is five years old and runs like a champ after spending four years in a truck -10 to 110 degrees and getting bounced about

Last edited by maxiang; 02-01-09 at 07:01 AM.
    02-01-09 06:58 AM
    .........get a MAC!!!

Never happens.........never.
    Very mis-informed you are LOL. This is completely untrue.
    02-03-09 07:44 AM
    Get a Mac, well worth the money, and they actually have had a handful of viruses. Whereas any Windows based machine gets a handful of viruses weekly. They will last you for a good 4 years, and they have everything Windows has, and does it better. The office suit is amazzzzing!

Spend wisely, else you'll regret your purchase for many years to come.

02-03-09 10:28 AM

You also never hear Linux virus. I run Ubuntu on my lappy and never have to pay Symantic a penny

claire
    02-03-09 12:59 PM
    You also never hear Linux virus. I run Ubuntu on my lappy and never have to pay Symantic a penny

claire
    Nothing sexier than a Linux gal

02-03-09 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD