Completely prefer fully committed relationship/marriage, though do not begrudge single people. Neither is 'better', just what is best compatible with you. For me, I like being with one person, committed and fully trusting. It's completely different for some other people though, and I respect that.
    12-05-09 06:29 PM
    I don't like to call it "single." I prefer to refer to myself as unmarried. Everyone has
    their good and bad, but for me to put up with their bad to have them at their good
    isn't worth it to me.

I find having different experiences with different girls much more fulfilling. Some I
    care about, some I don't. But in the end, I'm having my fun and if it ends up that
    "the one" happens to show up, then I'll know. But it doesn't mean I'll marry her. I
    could maybe spend my life with her, but not marry her. Very little chance for "the one" anyway.
    AMEN!!! I couldn't have said any better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-09 06:37 PM
    I love being "single", but like Forever, prefer to say "unmarried". I am far from single, I have many friends, family attached to the hip. I like not being answerable to anyone, and when I fall on my face, it doesn't effect anyone else.

However, I am a true Romantic and believe that everyone, even the ones that say they dont, want true love. I think everyone wants to find that perfect companion. That one that they can call their best friend, their lover and their soul mate.

I think there are many kinds of single and married folks. There are singles that are miserable and seek out, almost too much, to find their mate. And there are the single folks that live life to its fulliest and are having a blast. Enjoying all the peeps they meet, and if one sticks, great. If not, tomorrow is a new day. And the same can be said about married folks. There are the ones that truly embrace the vows of marriage and do everything right. But, there are the ones that don't know what honoring the vows mean, and are too chicken sh-- to walk away.
    12-05-09 07:20 PM
    Being married is great, as long as BOTH parties want to be married. Neither part must be tricked or pressured into it, be it by the other person or outside parties. Also unless both people have talked about what they expect out of the relationship, and both have the same goals and outlooks on life as well as the maturity to go into marriage.

As to one state being better than the other, there really is no real way to say which is better. I've never been married myself and never wanted to be. I have friends and family, that have been married several times (a few times to the same person they got divorced from, only to divorce again).

I consider myself a fairly happy human being, but a few of my married friends, would tell you they are very unhappy for whatever reasons being married. Is it them? The marriage? Or wanting something other than what they have now?
    12-05-09 07:25 PM
    "Sex relieves tension - love causes it."

THis is so true!
    12-05-09 09:23 PM
    Living the single life is great at times. But sometimes when you feel down or when your sitting alone at night around 2am watching a movie sometimes you would wish someone was there keeping you warm. I'm single but I sure do wish I was married.

its good not to rush into things though. I found someone great a while back. I thought she was the one but in the end, she was different. Didn't work out, but once we were apart for so long you come to realize how great that person was, oh well life MOVES ON!

I have been looking for the "one" but damn these girls are soooo freakinggg SHALLOW! Its almost annoying it makes me want to stop looking. They want the typical tv model with lotz of money. :/ our society is going down the drain.

12-05-09 09:36 PM
    There is no way to really discern which is "better" than the other. Everyone has their opinions and you are going to see a variety of different answers.

As with anything, you have to do what feels right to you.

Personally, I am neither married nor single, but in a committed relationship and have been for the past 6 years. While we have had our ups and downs, everything that we've gone through has been together with the love and support of each other.
    Right now we live together and are engaged without an actual wedding date planned yet. I would be perfectly content living this way for the rest of my life, as long as it was with him. We're in love, committed, & faithful to each other. We don't need a piece of paper to make our relationship "official".

I am happy with the life I live with my fianc� and wouldn't even dream of being single again.

12-06-09 02:28 AM
    I just want to find someone good at cleaning, someone that's good in bed, and someone that can cook good. Then just pray that the three don't meet!

sosof likes this.
    12-06-09 07:22 AM
    They both have their pros and cons I guess... I've been married, singled, and dating someone..(not at the same time of course haha)

Im sure I could sit here and talk and talk on both but everyone else has pretty much covered the basis
    12-06-09 10:21 AM
    i think in the middle is perfect. i'm perfectly content being in a relationship. i don't like be single, and i don't think i'm ready for marriage... yet.
    12-06-09 05:09 PM
    I'm with you Kasi. My relationship has 6 years too & we've been living together for 4. The ONLY difference/benefit I see of being married (in my situation atleast) is the legalities of it all. If something tragic were to happen to one of us the other would lose out financially and possibly not be permitted to make those important decisions for our partner.

Now my own question: How long do most people go on together before getting married? I've heard several times that its ridiculous we've been together this long w/out getting married. Is 6 years really ridiculous?

12-06-09 08:51 PM
    I'm with you Kasi. My relationship has 6 years too & we've been living together for 4. The ONLY difference/benefit I see of being married (in my situation atleast) is the legalities of it all. If something tragic were to happen to one of us the other would lose out financially and possibly not be permitted to make those important decisions for our partner.

Now my own question: How long do most people go on together before getting married? I've heard several times that its ridiculous we've been together this long w/out getting married. Is 6 years really ridiculous?

My dad has been pushing that subject for the past year. It is the first thing out of his mouth every time I talk to him. I do understand that I could lose out if something bad were to happen to my fianc� & vice versa. But, we have to get married on our own terms. Maybe there are reasons why we haven't go through with it yet. I know he wants to be able to give me a real wedding - with dresses, flowers, bridesmaids, groomsmen, family & friends, etc - but at this point we can't afford anything like that.

I don't see anything wrong with being in a relationship for years before finally getting married. I have friends who, after high school, began dating someone and were married after a year. Many of them are miserable now because they rushed into it and didn't know as much about their significant other as they thought they did before tying the knot.

12-07-09 05:46 AM
    Blondie / Kasi, take your time before getting married. It's a wonderful thing to do, and as you said, there are a couple of benefits over not getting married. But don't do it until you are ready.

But you have to ask what's causing the delay. If you are waiting for money for a better wedding, that's fine, but the money situation is most likely never going to change...

If your partner doesn't want to and doesn't have a reason, then you have to decide if you are OK with that. Personally, I'd probably be a little wary if my girl wanted to avoid marriage to keep her options open...

The biggest strain on a marriage / partnership though, is kids, so until that issue comes up (hopefully it's a discussion and not a doctor visit), I wouldn't worry too much about staying unwed.

Oh, and for TXLatina, I don't know anyone in my group of friends that has cheated on their spouses... I've heard of some exes cheating, but I don't know anyone that has cheated... Obviously it happens, but it's not EVERYONE...
    12-07-09 06:31 AM
    i think in the middle is perfect. i'm perfectly content being in a relationship. i don't like be single, and i don't think i'm ready for marriage... yet.
    Pretty much! Nothing permanent but still not alone
    12-07-09 07:33 AM
    Blondie / Kasi, take your time before getting married. It's a wonderful thing to do, and as you said, there are a couple of benefits over not getting married. But don't do it until you are ready.

But you have to ask what's causing the delay. If you are waiting for money for a better wedding, that's fine, but the money situation is most likely never going to change...

If your partner doesn't want to and doesn't have a reason, then you have to decide if you are OK with that. Personally, I'd probably be a little wary if my girl wanted to avoid marriage to keep her options open...

The biggest strain on a marriage / partnership though, is kids, so until that issue comes up (hopefully it's a discussion and not a doctor visit), I wouldn't worry too much about staying unwed.

Oh, and for TXLatina, I don't know anyone in my group of friends that has cheated on their spouses... I've heard of some exes cheating, but I don't know anyone that has cheated... Obviously it happens, but it's not EVERYONE...
    Money is the main reason we haven't gone through with it yet. He wants to give me a real wedding because, as with most guy's feelings towards their girl, he wants only the best for me. I'd be happy with going to the courthouse and having the JoP wed us, but he feels that I deserve more than that.

Either way it doesn't matter to me. I've already promised the rest of my life to him; he's promised the rest of his life to me. We already live as a married couple. The only reason we aren't considered married is because we don't have that piece of paper.

Kids are a completely different topic altogether. Neither one of us is ready for any yet so it'll be a while before that subject comes up.

12-07-09 07:49 AM
    I'm a loner, I never have a GF, I never get laid, I just prefer to be alone.

I've been in a few relationships and, needless to say they all ended. I just can't put up with someone's crap for very long without flying off the handle.

So I stick to being single/unmarried/whatever you want to call it because I pretty much hate everyone.
    12-07-09 01:52 PM
    Being married FTW.
    12-07-09 01:58 PM
    Pretty much! Nothing permanent but still not alone
    +1

10char
    BergerKing likes this.
    12-07-09 11:54 PM
    I've been very content alone, but believe wholeheartedly in marriage. After a 13 year stint that ended in failure, it is still my desire to share my life with someone. I realize now how carefully one must choose who that someone is, and what is important to me in making that choice. It's not about the physical at all, anyone can find someone who makes them feel good short term. For me it's about a mental bond of similar interest. A balance where you know your short comings, and the other will help you overcome them. Having someone who will bring you laughter, and always make you think. A person you can respect for who they are, regardless of where they have been. The one you cannot live without, and desire spending a lifetime learning.
    Marriage is not for everyone, so no one can tell another which is better. I know to me, it is the way G_d intended us to live, and the way I would be most happy.
    BergerKing likes this.
    12-08-09 04:35 AM
    I've been very content alone, but believe wholeheartedly in marriage. After a 13 year stint that ended in failure, it is still my desire to share my life with someone. I realize now how carefully one must choose who that someone is, and what is important to me in making that choice. It's not about the physical at all, anyone can find someone who makes them feel good short term. For me it's about a mental bond of similar interest. A balance where you know your short comings, and the other will help you overcome them. Having someone who will bring you laughter, and always make you think. A person you can respect for who they are, regardless of where they have been. The one you cannot live without, and desire spending a lifetime learning.
    Marriage is not for everyone, so no one can tell another which is better. I know to me, it is the way G_d intended us to live, and the way I would be most happy.
    Well put! I agree with you....you have to have someone that understands you and most of all understands what understanding is. If marriage is something your looking for..... look for someone that completes you internally heart, mind and soul. The bedroom fun can be mastered by anyone.
    12-08-09 01:19 PM
    The prince is not married; however I have enough friends/family/co-workers that are married to know that ON THE WHOLE...marriage (the symbol that it is) is a beautiful thing. I think it's so because following through with the act of marriage is a huge and serious step for individuals to take...but even if the couple stays married until death; or even if marriage doesn't work out...it's beauty lies in the fact that those two individuals are serious/committed/courageous enough to take it to that highest testament and seal of love.

Yes I know that marriage can be seen as a societal/political/economic construct by some; and can be see as a faith-based construct by others...I'm not concerned with that. I'm simply talking about ON THE WHOLE.
    12-08-09 01:44 PM
    How's this a question? Single life trumps married life for the simple fact that you don't have to allow someone to **** into your buisiness at all times.

12-09-09 06:35 AM
    If you are in a good marriage, there's no "your business." It's an open book. And it's better that way. And if you don't understand that, that's fine. Personally, I couldn't imagine life without my family.
    12-09-09 07:04 AM
    Depends on whether or not you married your best friend or a Russian mail order bride...j/k...marriage is great once you find the right person!
    12-09-09 04:25 PM
    Absolutely! Every successful, happy marriage I know is based on a strong friendship first and foremost. There has to be a mutual respect, a caring that goes well beyond physical attraction. You have to feel able to tell your partner anything and know you will receive the response you deserve. When it's good, you should celebrate, and when you have failed, as partners you can find resolution.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

12-09-09 06:09 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD