A quite interesting discussion took off in the Off Topic section for the BlackBerry Storm 9530/9500 forum and I felt that I needed to create a new thread about this.

In short it was discussed whether or not a smartphone is an investment. To me it is an investment, even if I won't get anything materialistic in return. What I find best describes the way I use my smartphone is this old commercial from AT&T, have a look:

Can't find the words to explain it, but it's truly a great feeling when I can get back to someone immediately while waiting for my train to arrive without the need to tell them to wait for me to get home. I use my BlackBerry to conduct research for school projects on the go and keep my life organized. My BlackBerry can be seen as a very powerful tool and I think it's wrong to say it is not an investment. I've got more than anything else I want in return. I love my CrackBerry <3

On a side note, why did AT&T stop making such wonderful commercials?
    02-23-10 03:26 PM
    Tool - Yes
    Investment - hardly
    02-23-10 04:04 PM
    Tool - Yes
    Investment - hardly

ha ha ha ha he said "tool"

are blackberries an investment ....

no

Investment - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Meaning #2
    the outlay of money usually for income or profit : capital outlay; also : the sum invested or the property purchased

Just like saying cars are investment.... they are but they offer monetary income equal OR greater to that which your primary investment was.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mjneid; 02-23-10 at 04:15 PM.
    02-23-10 04:11 PM
    Not a chance. The value is virtually guaranteed to depreciate, and as such they're awful investments.

Is it fun, enjoyable, handy, and a useful expenditure? Sure.

02-23-10 04:23 PM
    When my BB starts making me money, I will then call it an investment. Lol
    02-23-10 04:50 PM
    Well I gotta say, at least in my case, it is an investment. I own a business and have made deals via my immediate email response that made me much more $$ than I have invested in the device...so I really like the ROI on having this tool on my possession vs. a dumb phone.
    02-23-10 07:37 PM
    Uh, of course a smartphone can be an investment. If it enables the user to increase his or her income, then it's an investment. This might explain why businesses were the first to adopt them.
    02-24-10 01:08 AM
    The features are and investment the phone it self is not.

02-24-10 08:07 AM
    The features are and investment the phone it self is not.

So, how do I use the features without having the phone?? Wouldn't someone buy the phone for the features? Aren't they pretty much inextricably linked??
    02-24-10 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD