User Guide
    BlackBerry Curve 8330 Smartphone

This Guide is only 700 KB and it's 270 pages.

I have been asked how do they do this? When we (my work) make PDFs of our books they come out much larger.

Does anyone here have a suggestions?

Here is a link to the PDF: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...b8330_cdma.pdf

Thanks,
    James
    Last edited by jamesandyori; 01-05-11 at 08:38 AM.
    01-05-11 08:25 AM
    my guess would be minimal fonts and formatting, and page size have a lot to do with it. the simpler the document, the smaller the file size. it might have something to do with the software used, and how it codes the actual pdf document.
    01-05-11 08:35 AM
    my guess would be minimal fonts and formatting, and page size have a lot to do with it. the simpler the document, the smaller the file size. it might have something to do with the software used, and how it codes the actual pdf document.
    I included a link to the PDF. This might help with your thoughts. Each time they used a icon within the text that counts as a "image", I would think.

James
    01-05-11 08:40 AM
    The Blackberry manual is 99% text. All text documents do not get very large. Is your company putting in alot of pictures and graphs in the manual? Also, what are your page sizes?
    01-05-11 08:54 AM
    The Blackberry manual is 99% text. All text documents do not get very large. Is your company putting in alot of pictures and graphs in the manual? Also, what are your page sizes?
    All of our books are 8.50 x 11 and there is a considerable amount of line art from Adobe Illustrator.

The actual typesetting is done via Indesign using a MAC.

James
    01-05-11 09:01 AM
    I was just looking at the BB document again and this one is 7.5" x 9" so that will make a smaller file size as well.

I would say your larger page size along with the line art is the reason why.
    jamesandyori likes this.
    01-05-11 09:06 AM
    I will bring that fact up!

We have been making PDFs for ever but the company is looking into the future and with what we want to start doing, it would be best to reduce the size of the PDFs in general.
    01-05-11 09:48 AM
    All of our books are 8.50 x 11 and there is a considerable amount of line art from Adobe Illustrator.

The actual typesetting is done via Indesign using a MAC.

James

Adobe Illustrator Files are PIGS when it comes to data size,
    before adding an image file to a document you are going to want to compress it first, png, or jpg are your 2 file type options,

The Blackberry Manual is 270 pages x 7.5" x 9" so that is 18225 square inches of space
    at 8.5 x 11" pages theoretically the same info will fit onto 195 pages.

And do note that RIM doesn't use a Theme for their PDF, they are basically blank pages, with txt,
    Mac's have all the tools to make pretty things, you have to work really hard with them to make small file sizes and simple things.
    01-05-11 10:15 AM
    I asked a co-worker and he feels strongly that since all of our interior art is bitmapped, that is why we have large file sizes if we switch the images to vector then the final size will be greatly reduced.

It looks like I have some testing to do!

James
    01-05-11 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD