If the rumors are true, Chen must have had a screw loosened in his head. He's got it backwards now after in my opinion going so right...

There is no reason to put Android on BlackBerry hardware. Don't get me wrong I've long been a fan of most BB phones hardware-wise, but what some were saying is if BB needs to shut down their hardware division for profitability, then they could put BB10 on other hardware...NOT the other way around!!! And things are slowly but certainly looking up, why would they need to do even the first scenario anyway?

What's going on?! I'd like to have a discussion in this thread specifically about whether or not these are leaks, rumors, or confirmed. Because CB originally posted about this strictly as rumors...

Just rumors? Or are these leaks with actual truth?

NOTE TO ANY BBRY STAFF READING THIS: I'm sad to say I am putting my BlackBerry endorsement (for the last ~6 years) on hold until this effluvia is cleared up. And I just had a family member express interest in the Z30.)

TO AVAILABLE MOD: Could this thread be renamed to "Sifting Thru the BB10 Death FUD"? Thanks.

-STV on Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Last edited by STV0726; 06-19-15 at 12:19 AM.
    06-18-15 07:49 PM
    UPDATE: The N4BB article actually seems to somewhat contradict how CB is portraying this. They, on the contrary, clearly state that BlackBerry is not shifting all products to Android and that the rumors seem to indicate that it would be portfolio expansion rather than replacing BlackBerry 10.

This also might just be an emerging markets thing.

Last edited by STV0726; 06-19-15 at 12:07 AM.
    06-18-15 08:03 PM
    UPDATE: The N4BB article actually seems to somewhat contradict how CB is portraying this. They, on the contrary, clearly state that BlackBerry is not shifting all products to Android and that the rumors seem to indicate that it would be portfolio expansion rather than replacing BlackBerry 10.

This also might just be an emerging markets thing.

So CB's statement regarding "...most of the news around BlackBerry seems to be pointing towards Android as the company's future" is misleading and FUD-provoking. What 'most' of news?!

If BlackBerry sells any Android based phone, they would have to remove the Android Runtime from BB10 according to the rules of the OHA. This would essentially kill BB10 anyway (except for the ultra-secure market).

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    06-18-15 08:17 PM
    If BlackBerry sells any Android based phone, they would have to remove the Android Runtime from BB10 according to the rules of the OHA. This would essentially kill BB10 anyway (except for the ultra-secure market).

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    This is the second time I've heard that. If that's true (I'm not saying I don't trust you), then it's simply either one of two things: A) BlackBerry is literally out of their minds, OR B) these rumors have no truth. I'm agnostic by the way. I'm almost ready to go back to church and start praying for scenario B.

I'm presuming the OHA cannot be in any way amended and/or somehow manipulated/circumvented.

06-18-15 08:27 PM
    So CB's statement regarding "...most of the news around BlackBerry seems to be pointing towards Android as the company's future" is misleading and FUD-provoking. What 'most' of news?!
    The article actually says...

While most of the news around BlackBerry seems to be pointing towards Android as the company's future, it did recently announce BlackBerry 10.3.3 is in the works, so it doesn't appear as though BlackBerry 10 is going anywhere.
    As for the most of the news comment... well, most of the folks reporting it directly outside of the BlackBerry world are reporting it that way but BlackBerry's own comments don't reflect that as noted.

Regarding whether or not any of it is true.. personally, I'm tired of discussing it because aside from a few tidbits of info here and there and some seemingly obvious speculation (Samsung and BlackBerry deals) there is pretty much 0 proof of any of this. It's literally all just talk.. like it has been for years. Nothing definitive has been put forth in any substantial way.

No devices, no documents, no images, no roadmaps. Nothing. Just talk. And given how many times I've heard different stories and supposed details, I'm pretty much inclined to say there is bad info being spread intentionally by employees to throw folks off the real details. That or some employees don't have a darn clue what's going on themselves lol.
    06-18-15 08:40 PM
    The article actually says...

As for the most of the news comment... well, most of the folks reporting it directly outside of the BlackBerry world are reporting it that way but BlackBerry's own comments don't reflect that as noted.

Regarding whether or not any of it is true.. personally, I'm tired of discussing it because aside from a few tidbits of info here and there and some seemingly obvious speculation (Samsung and BlackBerry deals) there is pretty much 0 proof of any of this. It's literally all just talk.. like it has been for years. Nothing definitive has been put forth in any substantial way.

No devices, no documents, no images, no roadmaps. Nothing. Just talk. And given how many times I've heard different stories and supposed details, I'm pretty much inclined to say there is bad info being spread intentionally by employees to throw folks off the real details. That or some employees don't have a darn clue what's going on themselves lol.
    Bla1ze,

I give you my sincere apologies for if I misunderstood/misrepresented CB's words on this matter. I have removed those parts from my prior posts accordingly.

Forgive me for being passionate about BlackBerry and posting this thread amidst being distressed about the news. I am not mad at CB of course, I'm mad at BlackBerry for not clearing this up quickly. They should.

As you indicated it likely is all talk but one thing that concerns me above all in cruising the forums is something Bluenoser is pointing out about a developer support discussion regarding Qt5 being put forth for QNX only, and BlackBerry 10 being marked as unsupported. Now I'm not going to pretend I know if this is fully fact or the extend of the implications of what this could mean if it is indeed true, but it sounds damning...do you have any knowledge of this?

Let's put it this way, amongst all the FUD and speculation, this seems to be the one thing that stands out as worth checking into....

06-19-15 12:10 AM
    Title changed as per request
    06-19-15 08:27 AM
    I could have sworn the A in AOSP was "Android".

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 03:16 PM
    As you indicated it likely is all talk but one thing that concerns me above all in cruising the forums is something Bluenoser is pointing out about a developer support discussion regarding Qt5 being put forth for QNX only, and BlackBerry 10 being marked as unsupported. Now I'm not going to pretend I know if this is fully fact or the extend of the implications of what this could mean if it is indeed true, but it sounds damning...do you have any knowledge of this?
    I've not seen these exact discussions as of yet but.. along the same lines I suppose... I find it a bit interesting that the BB10 development roadmap hasn't been updated in quite some time yet BlackBerry is already announcing things such as 10.3.3. Why are they flying through OS so quick? Majority of folks (outside those running leaks) don't even have 10.3.2 yet and they're already announcing 10.3.3 and oddly, it came as just an offhand comment with no further details. Heck, 10.3.2 didn't even bring any huge changes nor was there any new developer API's added. It's all very... odd.

PS: No offense taken, just wanted to be clear.
    06-19-15 05:03 PM
    Should I move this thread to general discussion or armchair ceo? Let me ponder over that...

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk
    06-19-15 05:31 PM
    I've not seen these exact discussions as of yet but.. along the same lines I suppose... I find it a bit interesting that the BB10 development roadmap hasn't been updated in quite some time yet BlackBerry is already announcing things such as 10.3.3. Why are they flying through OS so quick? Majority of folks (outside those running leaks) don't even have 10.3.2 yet and they're already announcing 10.3.3 and oddly, it came as just an offhand comment with no further details. Heck, 10.3.2 didn't even bring any huge changes nor was there any new developer API's added. It's all very... odd.

PS: No offense taken, just wanted to be clear.
    The roadmap hasn't been updated as BlackBerry has given up on moving BlackBerry 10 forward in terms of software development SDK features. There is still so much that is needed for native developers. I have already posted sources from the people developing Qt that states from them that BlackBerry has dropped any future plans for Qt5 but is going forward for Qt5 on QNX. When you use third parties for your development tool, information gets leaked if you want it to or not. The only way that BlackBerry sees a future in native BlackBerry 10 development, they would be upgrading BlackBerry 10 to Qt5 like they have with QNX. BlackBerry sees a future in QNX which is they they are moving forward with it.

10.3.2 was a minor update. 10.3.3 will be another minor update.

Blaze, If you ever want to discuss this in person, I am located in Halifax.
    06-20-15 08:02 AM
    The roadmap hasn't been updated as BlackBerry has given up on moving BlackBerry 10 forward in terms of software development SDK features. There is still so much that is needed for native developers. I have already posted sources from the people developing Qt that states from them that BlackBerry has dropped any future plans for Qt5 but is going forward for Qt5 on QNX. When you use third parties for your development tool, information gets leaked if you want it to or not. The only way that BlackBerry sees a future in native BlackBerry 10 development, they would be upgrading BlackBerry 10 to Qt5 like they have with QNX. BlackBerry sees a future in QNX which is they they are moving forward with it.

10.3.2 was a minor update. 10.3.3 will be another minor update.

Blaze, If you ever want to discuss this in person, I am located in Halifax.
    We still don't know for sure this means the death of their own OS, do we? If they are continuing with QNX isn't it possible they are working on a new upgrade (rather than update) such as BlackBerry 11? I'm just thinking out loud here....

06-20-15 11:56 AM
    We still don't know for sure this means the death of their own OS, do we? If they are continuing with QNX isn't it possible they are working on a new upgrade (rather than update) such as BlackBerry 11? I'm just thinking out loud here....

This has nothing to do with the death of the OS. The OS will continue, but will be along the lines of BBOS. It works and is on phones, but it isn't moving forward in any sense of the terms.
    06-20-15 05:06 PM
    Here is the simple fact, BlackBerry isn't selling a whole lot of phones, it's clearly not working, so you either go Android or you stop making phones. Take your pick.

Posted via CB Z30
    06-20-15 05:09 PM
    Here is the simple fact, BlackBerry isn't selling a whole lot of phones, it's clearly not working, so you either go Android or you stop making phones. Take your pick.

Posted via CB Z30
    Stop selling phones. It would be more logical in almost all regards, and that's coming from me, someone who never wanted to see that happen to BBRY.

But still I say, things were slowly getting better. It doesn't seem like a good time to just give up and move to Android. Not to mention that's no solution - just look at how many (sarcastic for how few) companies are making money off Android. I'm not even sure adopting Android will buy them any time.

Once again, putting BlackBerry 10 on Samsung hardware might be a different story.

06-20-15 06:44 PM