Sometimes I think it would be better to have whatever you're trying to cure. This is from a commercial for Abilify, a medication to be used in conjunction with anti-depressants if those alone aren't enough.

"Call you doctor if your depression worsens or you have unusual changes in mood or behavior or thoughts of suicide. Elderly dementia patients have an increased risk of death or stroke. Call your doctor if you have high fever, stiff muscles, or confusion as these may be signs of a life threatening reaction or uncontrollable muscle movements as these may become permanent. High blood sugar has been reported. In some cases high blood sugar can lead to coma or death. Other risks include dizziness upon standing, seizures, impaired judgement or motor skills, or trouble swallowing."

Whoa.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 11:54 PM
    Side effects are things that could happen. They don't happen all the time to everyone who takes the medication that the warning is explained for. Just like you could get fat if you eat fast food every day. But those with a fast metabolizm won't experience the same weight gain. By law drug companies have to tell consumers what could possibly happen to them if they take a drug. But if you chose to do nothing as oppose to experiencing a side affect... what's worse? What you know WILL happen or what can POSSIBLY happen?
    11-08-08 12:03 AM
    So true. This reminds me of a Jeff Foxworthy riff. At 1min 20 secs

11-08-08 12:07 AM
    Pinkbuddy- I know I know. I was just stating what I'm thinking every time I see a drug commercial. Those are some crappy possibilities though.

AG- I thought about that when I reread after posting. Foxworthy cracks me up.

11-08-08 12:21 AM
    My dad has a .38 caliber bullet stuck in the back of his skull. He is a retired police officer. He went to the doctor when it first happened(about 20 years ago) and the doctor told him that the "cure is worse than the disease". I think that quote would be appropriate for most medications these days.

11-08-08 01:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD