Thought this might be a fun question. The shareholder meeting is only days away, what kind of news do you think will come out of the meeting?

I have the feeling that release dates for the new lines of smartphones will be announced.

Wish I had a passport so I could attend.
    07-09-11 04:03 PM
    Yeah, I think it'll be release dates and some news on QNX, probably.
    07-09-11 04:06 PM
    I don't think they will announce anything at the shore holders meeting. They normally get together, discuss a few things, have a nice lunch and go back home.

I hope they announce something, but I highly doubt it.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-09-11 05:55 PM
    I don't think they will announce anything at the shore holders meeting. They normally get together, discuss a few things, have a nice lunch and go back home.

I completely agree. I doubt we will hear anything news worthy out of this meeting.
    07-09-11 05:57 PM
    I suspect Mike and Jim will be beat up some more and the splitting of the CEO and Chairman will come up again, but I doubt any news about phones or Playbook updates will come out. Everyone will probably be under nda anyway.
    07-09-11 06:01 PM
    Surprised that y'all don't think anything will come out of the meeting. Figured with all the bad press they would release some kind of news to temper the mood of the meeting. If they didn't, figured it would make the meeting a little more hostile.
    07-09-11 06:06 PM
    Surprised that y'all don't think anything will come out of the meeting. Figured with all the bad press they would release some kind of news to temper the mood of the meeting. If they didn't, figured it would make the meeting a little more hostile.
    I don't think it will change at this point, they have gotten crapped on every day for quite awhile and that hasn't changed the status quo at RIM.
    07-09-11 07:45 PM
    By all accounts we are 4 to 6 weeks away form the start of a big revamp of product. This is as good a time as any to announce something. Bring it on.
    07-09-11 09:14 PM
    I kind of agree. If I were them and facing some hostile shareholders I would announce some new phones and release dates. I think it would, if nothing else, put the most hostile off balance.

It wouldn't have to be anounced at the meeting, just the day of and they could refer to it in the meeting. Any sooner would give the nay sayers time to research and attach the new phones.

Just my guess on how I would handle the tactics of the meeting.
    07-10-11 02:24 PM
    I kind of agree. If I were them and facing some hostile shareholders I would announce some new phones and release dates. I think it would, if nothing else, put the most hostile off balance.

It wouldn't have to be anounced at the meeting, just the day of and they could refer to it in the meeting. Any sooner would give the nay sayers time to research and attach the new phones.

Just my guess on how I would handle the tactics of the meeting.
    While for another company I would agree and logic would say give up a little something something to get investors off your back, but Mike and Jim seem to want to defy logic for quite some time now. I think they'll spew their normal incoherent mumbo jumbo of buzzword bingo and everyone will be like "WTF did they say"?
    jebulls likes this.
    07-10-11 03:11 PM
    I really hope all shareholders team up agains current CEOs thus forcing them to resign. Current CEOs are too shortsighted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-11 04:10 PM

Yeah, you might be right, but this meeting probably has a little more hope because shareholders are becoming increasingly peeved and maybe RIM will decided to appease them with some dates.
    07-10-11 04:21 PM
    There's no benefit to releasing dates until they are about a week away from sale, it would kill sales of current devices. Can you imagine salespeople selling a current 9780 or Torch if they knew the new oness were coming in three weeks? I know I couldn't do it with a good conscience.

Heck, I know someone who just bought a new Torch...I didn't know she was buying or would have told her to wait!
    07-10-11 07:44 PM
    While for another company I would agree and logic would say give up a little something something to get investors off your back, but Mike and Jim seem to want to defy logic for quite some time now. I think they'll spew their normal incoherent mumbo jumbo of buzzword bingo and everyone will be like "WTF did they say"?
    Thats good stuff right there lol!!
    07-10-11 07:53 PM
    The shareholders don't elect the CEO. The board of directors does. If the shareholders want change, they need to run a slate of directors that will change things, not gripe about the hired help. If they don't elect a new board, things will continue to cautiously evolve. Is that really such a bad thing?

I really hope all shareholders team up agains current CEOs thus forcing them to resign. Current CEOs are too shortsighted.

07-10-11 11:50 PM
    I hope good news

07-11-11 12:56 AM
    There's no benefit to releasing dates until they are about a week away from sale, it would kill sales of current devices. Can you imagine salespeople selling a current 9780 or Torch if they knew the new oness were coming in three weeks? I know I couldn't do it with a good conscience.

Heck, I know someone who just bought a new Torch...I didn't know she was buying or would have told her to wait!
    I have to disagree. I feel at least one release date would at least get it out there that the phones are coming and maybe ease a few share holders minds. And I don't think it would kill the sales of current units. Most people are not like us, they don't follow every tech blog and know just when something is going to come out. They just go to the store, look at the phones, and grab one that appeals to them. Even if a new phone is coming out within a week or so, most people don't know which normally lead to them being mad and frustrated, but unless you follow CB or any other tech site, you would not know of a upcoming devices.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    07-11-11 06:07 AM
    what about no release dates but would they announce the torch 2, or any other phone?? what do you think??
    07-11-11 11:59 AM
    They need to adress all the bad press they're getting.

07-11-11 12:06 PM
    I think anything positive at this point is what we all hope for. Whether it is a release date for the Bold 9900/9930 or making the other devices official, we just want to hear something.
    07-11-11 12:15 PM
    do companys normally make announcements at shareholder meetings? or is this just hopes and wishes of people wanting new devices?
    07-11-11 12:28 PM
    do companys normally make announcements at shareholder meetings? or is this just hopes and wishes of people wanting new devices?
    Yes some do. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.
    07-11-11 12:59 PM
    I went a researched the last 5 year's for RIM's July meeting and they haven't announced anything in those year's, but with the ridiculous trending downward reputation in the media and among carriers and consumers, hopefully they will give us something this year.
    07-11-11 01:23 PM
    with this information I figure that RIM will just go with the numbers, and go with a normal shareholders meeting, they will prolly want to look like nothing is wrong... i dont see them posting a release date for the upcoming devices, and i think they will annouce the as of yet announced devices just days before they hit carriers...
    07-11-11 01:52 PM
    with this information I figure that RIM will just go with the numbers, and go with a normal shareholders meeting, they will prolly want to look like nothing is wrong... i dont see them posting a release date for the upcoming devices, and i think they will annouce the as of yet announced devices just days before they hit carriers...
    If they do so, shareholders are going to freak out, again. Their stock will plunge and the co-ceo structure will come into question, again.
    07-11-11 02:19 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD