Hi guys,

Today I want to talk about my experience to self host me.
    I'm fed up of Google and Co, so I decided to run my own server and run software to create my own cloud.

It is based on :
    - VPS (virtual private server), in my case OVH as it is super cheap, eco-friendly and highly reliable
    - GNU/Linux Debian 7
    - Yunohost software

It includes, all from a simple web interface, or via my BlackBerry :
    - emails (imap)
    - contacts managements with Baikal (carddav)
    - calendar management with Baikal (caldav)
    - files in the cloud (but my own cloud!) with owncloud
    - blogs (wordpress)
    - my own site
    - piwik for stats
    - others if you want !

All you need to know to set it up is there : www.yunohost.org

Everything runs flawlessly and nearly out of the box with limited knowledges required. But still a little.

Now, the interesting bit fur us Crackberry users : integration with the BlackBerry !

So, if I add my emails, contacts and calendars manually via the parameter interface of the phone, it works very well. It takes 3 steps (one for each protocol) and that's it.
    Yunohost is testing an ActiveSync plugin (called Z-Push) which works very well but one function is not implemented yet : sending calendar invitations. So I don't use activesync.
    It is a shame as otherwise it would be super super easy to set up accounts on the BlackBerry.
    This being said, as you only need to do it once and that you are most unlikely to do it for hundreds of users, it is not such a big issue. It would add convenience thought.

For the files, I use the BlackBerry app called Playcloud. It is a paid ap, but it works very well. It only misses automatic sync.

The entire yunohost interface is designed to adapt to your screen so you can do everything from your mobile. No need to use ssh or command line. This means that the native web browser does the rest.

I'm really pleased of this installation and I wanted to share my happyness

This entire post has been written from my great Passport :d

If you have any question, or if you would be tempted to set up a similar system, just let me know and discuss it below!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-28-15 09:22 AM
    No self hosting maniac on CB then

Posted via CB10 from my Passport
    01-30-15 07:54 AM
    Can you tell me how you configured Playcloud to work with owncloud? I do not see that option there. It probably right in front of my face.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 10:03 PM
    I'm currently investigating Zentyal Server (Linux), to replace all Microsoft stuff...

http://www.zentyal.com/zentyal-server/trial/

Community Edition:

http://www.zentyal.org/server/

Thanks for the tip with yunohost! :-D

  Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?  
    02-05-15 11:59 PM
    I am using Horde (sync email, contact, notes, calender, tasks via AES ActiveSync), Owncloud and StrongSwan.
    Too bad Playcloud doesn't support auto sync yet

Alternative for Horde can be Sogo.
    02-12-15 03:27 PM
    Can you tell me how you configured Playcloud to work with owncloud? I do not see that option there. It probably right in front of my face.

Posted via CB10
    It would be a WebDAV account I would think.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2267 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    02-12-15 03:40 PM
    Yes, I use webdav and it works very well.

First, go to your owncloud and in the files section there should be a little wheel. Click on it and a webdav link will appear.

Then, in Playcloud, all you have to do is register this link, enter your login and password.

It does work very well I have to admit.

Posted via CB10 from my Passport
    04-16-15 03:17 PM
    Playcloud is great but slows down significantly on folders with large number of files.
    Owncloud device application handles large folders more efficiently but likely supports their servers only and not generic Webdav.

For automatic photos and videos sync I use camdav. It takes the burden of media files transfer.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 07:02 AM
    polytan02 sent you a PM. For some reason getting forum message I can't post links but non attached.

Thanks
    06-11-15 10:21 AM
    Just to give a quick update on this, Yunohost is really good

Finally I have installed z-push, as some super cool people have supported the dev of a key feature (at least for me) : sending and replying to calendar invitates.

With z-push, which is an ActiveSync layer between my server imap+carddav+caldav and my Blackberry phone, I can configure it very quickly, without messing around with imap and dav parameters ! Plus I get push notifications, which is great.
    08-13-15 09:26 AM
    Use Zoho mail if you don't want cost and hassle of running email server with anti-spam, etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 04:37 PM