Since I retired from the Army, I've discovered that both my Bachelor of Science and Master of Arts degrees are about as useless as tits on a bull around here. Most of the better-paying gigs around here are for engineers and IT guys, and becoming an engineer at this stage of my life is out of the question.

So I've been using left-over GI Bill money to take some classes at the local community college, and one of the classes I'm taking will allow me to take the COMPtia A+ certification exam, which if i pass it opens up job opportunities such as Geek Squad at Best Buy, but little else. However, in the process of taking this class, I'm learning about better certifications like CCNA.

So, for you IT types out there, what is your take on what are the better pay-offs in regard to certifications. Yeah I know - nothing beats experience, but assuming somebody has limited to no IT experience, which certification(s) would you recommend seeking for someone in my position?
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    09-23-13 01:09 PM
    Since I retired from the Army, I've discovered that both my Bachelor of Science and Master of Arts degrees are about as useless as tits on a bull around here. Most of the better-paying gigs around here are for engineers and IT guys, and becoming an engineer at this stage of my life is out of the question.

So I've been using left-over GI Bill money to take some classes at the local community college, and one of the classes I'm taking will allow me to take the COMPtia A+ certification exam, which if i pass it opens up job opportunities such as Geek Squad at Best Buy, but little else. However, in the process of taking this class, I'm learning about better certifications like CCNA.

So, for you IT types out there, what is your take on what are the better pay-offs in regard to certifications. Yeah I know - nothing beats experience, but assuming somebody has limited to no IT experience, which certification(s) would you recommend seeking for someone in my position?
    The most hirings where I am are actually in program management. The best investment I ever made was in my PMP certification. It's rigorous, but with your degrees, prior military, and with an IT related classes you can easily land an entry level GS11 position targeted to a GS13. From there you can jump to a non supervisory 13 target 14. At that point a GS15 is within reach.

I don't know how old you are but I would look in a program management track.

http://www.pmi.org/Certification/Wha...fications.aspx

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...eral-schedule/

Here is mid level program manager position as reference.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/351308200
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 09-23-13 at 06:13 PM.
    jegs2 likes this.
    09-23-13 06:02 PM
    The pmp certification is good even some of my professors say it's good since it's a bit broad and the A+ is good specially for beginners but the ccna is one of the hardest certifications(so iv heard) and pricey but really good for cisco related jobs. I say go with the A+ if you really want it and if you do want the ccna try to ask the teacher what steps you might need to take before you are ready to take the ccna. By the way is it a college course or like a preparation class to take it?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 11:04 PM