I am hereby putting this idea out there. I am not yet saying whether I am pro or con. I just want to hear what you all have to say on this.

If a person purchases a phone from any second hand method (with the exception of unregulated cash or wire transfers) and the device later turns out to be flagged as stolen, lost, or unpaid for, so long as the second hand buyer is willing to:

A) Relinquish the device to the carrier
    B) Sign a document indicating approximate condition it was received in and what condition it is in now
    C) Provide some form of proof of purchase such as a PayPal receipt

Then, the second hand buyer should be given what they paid for it by the carrier as a reward for returning a stolen, lost, or unpaid phone.

May sound far fetched but is it really? Think: wanted poster.

~STV
    05-18-13 04:08 PM
    This for now this mainly pertains to Sprint and Verizon (non GSM phones), I think it should be up to the second hand buyer call the carrier and get the ESN/IMEI number checked BEFORE money changes hands.

So for me I think it is on the second hand buyer to find out if he/she is buying something that can NOT get registered on the carrier they are buying the phone for, which again can be handled with a phone call to the carrier. If the seller refuses to hand over the ESN/IMEI number, before money changes hands, then that is a deal that MUST be passed over, no matter how good it is.
    3hb78ftg and russworman like this.
    05-18-13 05:21 PM
    I think you have to remember that old saying "buyer beware " and as such I won't buy used phones. No one should ever expect to get reimbursement for buying stolen merchandise.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 01:25 AM