The congress and the senate for the last two years is democratically control. The President either signs or vetos bills that come from Congress. Please tell me what bills that they were able to override when they were vetoed? Which bills of 90-95% were voted into law?
    You know as well as I do that the margin of control is not nearly enough to override a veto in either house. What is it like one or 2 seats in the Senate?
    09-03-08 03:25 PM
    You know as well as I do that the margin of control is not nearly enough to override a veto in either house. What is it like one or 2 seats in the Senate?
    That's my point most bills need to have support from both parties to get to the President's desk. One a bill goes from the house to the Senate. It changes dramatically. Vice a Versa. Both houses and the White House then negotiated the bill.

When has Obama in his 2 years in Washington ever gone against his party or leadership? Then ask yourself when in his 6 years in the Illinois senate did he ever go against his party or leadership?
    Last edited by bjsgarda; 09-03-08 at 03:40 PM.
    09-03-08 03:36 PM
    That's my point most bills need to have support from both parties to get to the President's desk. One a bill goes from the house to the Senate. It changes dramatically. Vice a Versa. Both houses and the White House then negotiated the bill.

When has Obama in his 2 years in Washington ever gone against his party or leadership? Then ask yourself when in his 6 years in the Illinois senate did he ever go against his party or leadership?
    I have to look into it but I think for good amount of the time that the Republicans had control of the Congress since 2002 they had a significant majority which allowed them to stop/block filibusters. They only started complaining about them when they started losing seats and no longer had a large enough majority to push bills to the floor.

Since the democrats have not achieved a significant majority (yet?), one could argue that in order to get anything done each bill must be a compromise to get to the floor otherwise Congress would be paralyzed. When the Republicans had control they had the numbers to push through their agenda unencumbered by the necessity of significant compromise. As Obama, has been in the Senate only since the Republicans lost control, it could be said that he has not had the opportunity to 'break" with his party that McCain has had because the climate is different.

However, I will give it a look and see if there is any instance(s) where, despite the above circumstances, he voted against the majority of Democrats in the Senate.

Lastly, I appreciate that in a way, McCain is running against the leadership of his party thus the notion that he breaks from the party is important to his campaign. I am not sure that I see the relevance of similar bonafides to Obama's position (that he will reach across the aisle as President). In his position as just one Senator he does not have the power to do this, in fact, the only branch of our government that has any real capacity to do this is the executive, that is, to shape and mold policy to lead a party toward the middle and curtail the divisive nature of our government. I guess what I am saying hear is that there is no way to have any empirical evidence as to whether he will do this once in office or not. It seems to me that you either believe him or you don't. On this point, think about Bush's first campaign and his "I'm a uniter not a divider" catchphrase. His record did not provide any real insight into whether this would be true once he became President and some argued that it demonstrated that it would not be but he certainly wanted the voters to believe it. Ultimately, either due to circumstance or fiat he did divide.
    09-03-08 04:30 PM
    I have to look into it but I think for good amount of the time that the Republicans had control of the Congress since 2002 they had a significant majority which allowed them to stop/block filibusters. They only started complaining about them when they started losing seats and no longer had a large enough majority to push bills to the floor.

Since the democrats have not achieved a significant majority (yet?), one could argue that in order to get anything done each bill must be a compromise to get to the floor otherwise Congress would be paralyzed. When the Republicans had control they had the numbers to push through their agenda unencumbered by the necessity of significant compromise. As Obama, has been in the Senate only since the Republicans lost control, it could be said that he has not had the opportunity to 'break" with his party that McCain has had because the climate is different.

However, I will give it a look and see if there is any instance(s) where, despite the above circumstances, he voted against the majority of Democrats in the Senate.

Lastly, I appreciate that in a way, McCain is running against the leadership of his party thus the notion that he breaks from the party is important to his campaign. I am not sure that I see the relevance of similar bonafides to Obama's position (that he will reach across the aisle as President). In his position as just one Senator he does not have the power to do this, in fact, the only branch of our government that has any real capacity to do this is the executive, that is, to shape and mold policy to lead a party toward the middle and curtail the divisive nature of our government. I guess what I am saying hear is that there is no way to have any empirical evidence as to whether he will do this once in office or not. It seems to me that you either believe him or you don't. On this point, think about Bush's first campaign and his "I'm a uniter not a divider" catchphrase. His record did not provide any real insight into whether this would be true once he became President and some argued that it demonstrated that it would not be but he certainly wanted the voters to believe it. Ultimately, either due to circumstance or fiat he did divide.
    I think the point is, the media says McCain is Bush. Republicans then show how he separated from Bush. Then it gets turned back around to that not being important when it comes to Obama. It's a double standard.

And no, this doesn't mean he will do the same if he gets in power, but the same goes for Obama and any other future candidate. We have to go on what they say as well as their past (if they have any), that's all we have.
    09-03-08 04:44 PM
    wow i come back 2 days later and i find 6 pages of this political debate Bull S**T... LMFAO

wow I thought people came to this site to talk about berries not to debate on who's Pen*s is bigger based on their political affiliation...(ladies you know what I mean)

LOL ne ways I thought this was a blackberry forum, not a politics forum...sorry guess i was wrong...

:: Scrolls up and Remove's this Shi**y thread from his subscribed thread's ::
    Last edited by RealEstatePro; 09-03-08 at 05:11 PM.
    09-03-08 05:09 PM
    wow i come back 2 days later and i find 6 pages of this political debate Bull S**T... LMFAO

wow I thought people came to this site to talk about berries not to debate on who's Pen*s is bigger based on their political affiliation...(ladies you know what I mean)

LOL ne ways I thought this was a blackberry forum, not a politics forum...sorry guess i was wrong...

:: Scrolls up and Remove's this Shi**y thread from his subscribed thread's ::
    Nice language there, for a "Pro".
    09-03-08 05:22 PM
    I predict that tomorrow the morning papers and the commentators in the media are going to be shower praise on her speech tonight. Especially if she does it with a Blackberry in hand.
    09-03-08 07:38 PM
    "A twenty year old who isn't a liberal is hearless. A forty year old who isn't a conservative is a fool."-Winston Churchill.
    In 1976 the country was ready for "change". That change came in the form of Jimmy Carter. That was, unquestionably, the epitome of political,fiscal and national security absurdity. If Obama is elected, you younger people are going to face up to and learn some very bitter lessons. Things have been remarkebly good your entire lives. A liberal Democrat in
    charge of an already shakey economy will teach you life lessons that you will never forget.(Or ever want to live through again) As an aside, I work for a Berkshire-Hathaway Company. You might be suprised to learn that "kindly, benevolent old Uncle Warren Buffett is a staunch Democrat. Not because of the platforms or political views of the party. Instead, its because the Democrats are so invested with government spending that his companies prosper more during Democrat presidencies.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-08 08:51 PM
    as if she wasn't already HOT!
    i would have to agree ......mcain only has her as eye candy since he is too damn old and nobody wants to look at him .....
    (i'm only kidding for all the mcain followers)
    09-03-08 09:38 PM
    Yeah! But she's such a HOT pitbull with lipstick...oh, and a Berry!
    09-04-08 06:49 AM
    "Sarah Palin received more votes for Mayor of Wasilla, AK, than Joe Biden did for President."

hahahahaha
    09-04-08 09:27 AM
    "Sarah Palin received more votes for Mayor of Wasilla, AK, than Joe Biden did for President."

hahahahaha
    Pretty funny. Hope you don't think it is true.

In 1992 Sarah Palin got 530 votes. In 1995, 413 votes. In 1996, 651 votes. In 1999, 909. For a total of 2503 votes during her time as Mayor of Wasilla. Joseph Biden got 79,754 total votes in the Democratic Primaries. As per the current figures being tossed around Wasilla has a population of approximately 9000 (the 2000 census says the population was 5,469), this would require the entire population of Wasilla to vote for Palin for 9 years in a row to have more votes then Biden got this year.

On aside note, when she took office in 1992 the total budget for the City of Wasilla, Alaska was $2,805,972, in 1999 the total budget had increased to $8,077,914 (just shy of a threefold increase).
    09-04-08 11:01 AM
    ice in 1992 the total budget for the City of Wasilla, Alaska was $2,805,972, in 1999 the total budget had increased to $8,077,914 (just shy of a threefold increase).
    What a DA.

Because their city retail tax income had increased over three-fold due to tourism. Get your facts straight, lol.

Dems are so freaking put out over this lady and can't stand the fact she is stealing the thunder from GodBama.

A great quote from Palin last night: "I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a "community organizer," except that you have actual responsibilities. I might add that in small towns, we don't quite know what to make of a candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they are listening, and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren't listening."

I'll my faith any day over GodBama's promises.
    09-04-08 11:18 AM
    If we're going to break down to name calling I'll take godbama over McLame and Falin any day.
    09-04-08 11:24 AM
    What a DA.

Because their city retail tax income had increased over three-fold due to tourism. Get your facts straight, lol.
    First, what does "DA" stand for? I don't what to jump to any conclusions.

Second, I did not do anything but state facts. What I did not do is state any conclusions or opinions or venture an explanation as to the reasons why for that matter. You choose to infer that I was taking a shot at her, you could just as easily assumed that I was making a point as to her competency (revenue increased during her term and town grow in population could be construed as meritorious accomplishments) or given me the benefit of the doubt but you chose instead to insult.

Finally, why are you so sure I am a democrat?
    09-04-08 11:44 AM
    you could just as easily assumed that I was making a point as to her competency (revenue increased during her term and town grow in population could be construed as meritorious accomplishments)
    You are parroting the same Dem mantra all the talking heads are spouting. Are you embarrassed to be one?

No assumptions made. For the entire thread you have stood on the other ground. I don't need to assume. Unless you want to state otherwise, I'll go by what you've posted up until this point.

Anyway, this thread WAS to have been about the fact she carries a BlackBerry until it was taken off topic by criticism.
    09-04-08 11:52 AM
    I don't know what you have been reading but your sure do like to repeat that phrase about "you dems". Sound like a mantra to me.

I was under the impression that I was being the voice of reason and not being partisan at all, I guess I was wrong.

Also, you did not answer my question, what does DA stand for?
    09-04-08 12:02 PM
    Voice of reason?

Sorry, this thread was about Governor Palin and her BlackBerrys, not about you.

DA = What Joe Biden is. A reference to him.
    09-04-08 01:38 PM
    Voice of reason?

Sorry, this thread was about Governor Palin and her BlackBerrys, not about you.

DA = What Joe Biden is. A reference to him.
    jsanders, I know Republicans like to convert everything into a political debate; but ya know...there isn't too much else to talk about when it comes to the announcement this thread made that...YES, sarah palin does have a blackberry (quite possibly two of them actually); and yes there are pictures to prove out. So outside of what service provider she's possibly with, what color the berrys are, what OS she's probably running, whether she has names for her Berrys and so on pertaining to Berry-talk...after a while it kind of hits a Sarah Palin and her berrys cul de sac.

So naturally, there's going to be an addendum of Palin'related conversation attached to this thread.
    09-04-08 01:51 PM
    So... what OS you think she's sporting?

The .08?
    09-04-08 02:10 PM
    09-04-08 02:36 PM
    To respond to an earlier question by BamaSteve (I think).

The best information I have found indicates that Obama has voted with the democrats in the Senate 97% of the time. As to a specific instance when he did not vote with the party, interestingly, it seems that he voted against the bill that included the minimum wage increase.

On a related note, the 95% figure for McCain is accurate but only since 2007. The alignment of his voting record with the President/party has varied. For example, in 2005 it was only 77% and in 2001 it was 67%. So it might be fair to say, that while this statement is technically true as they never give a timeframe, it is a distortion of the facts.
    09-04-08 02:36 PM
    Disgusting that anyone would even record their voice with that language.

Do people really like to sit around listening to people cuss and denigrate themselves?
    09-04-08 02:43 PM
    Knowing this woman, who wants to take away rights to choose and force the fact that SHE believes in choice as long as that choice is what she believes, and who would fly for 13 hours all around the country in active labour for a downs syndrome child while she is in her 40's (thus CHOOSING to put her baby at risk), uses a blackberry makes me want to get rid of it.

She is an abomination who doesn't deserve the ovaries she was born with.

EDIT

Also, I am a little surprised at the right wing tinge on this board. I guess I figured things were a bit more...balanced. Betweeen this in the States and the fact that the Conservatives are pushing for an election up here (please let Stephen Harper lose, I can't stand the ferrity little twerp) I am just glad I live in a country where even our right wing is a little more liberal than down there.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 09-05-08 at 01:41 PM.
    09-05-08 01:37 PM
    The thought of that makes my brain hurt. Mark my words, if McCain wins, I'm leaving the country and never coming back. Another d-bag thoughtless moron Republican in office will be the last nail in our country's coffin.
    bye see ya don't let the door hit you on the way out....
    09-05-08 07:11 PM
291 ... 89101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD