"WASHINGTON � Some of President Obama�s email correspondence was swept up by Russian hackers last year in a breach of the White House�s unclassified computer system that was far more intrusive and worrisome than has been publicly acknowledged, according to senior American officials briefed on the investigation."

http://nyti.ms/1DxfjS7

Say what. News to me

Posted via CB10

Oops sorry about the forum post location.
    Last edited by Ghyss8888; 04-26-15 at 03:04 PM.
    04-25-15 05:54 PM
    But not his BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 05:59 PM
    Shouldn't this be in off topic?

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 06:00 PM
    I remember hearing about them getting into the servers I think. like mentioned it was not classified info but email and such that runs off the govt servers
    04-25-15 06:00 PM
    From the same article and worth noting:

"The hackers, who also got deeply into the State Department�s unclassified system, do not appear to have penetrated closely guarded servers that control the message traffic from Mr. Obama�s BlackBerry, which he or an aide carries constantly."

If you're serious about security, you gotta use BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 08:56 PM
    Does Obama's use BES and one of those Secure Smart cards?
    04-25-15 09:33 PM
    Yes, he has both data and voice encryption. When it comes to security, it is either BlackBerry or crap.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 09:38 PM
    Yes, he has both data and voice encryption. When it comes to security, it is either BlackBerry or crap.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I thought so if you're not it isn't any more secure than anything else like I hear all the time.
    04-25-15 09:39 PM
    BTW , why is this in the off topic lounge. Isn't this one of BlackBerry's key focuses.

On another note, maybe someone should send this article to those brilliant analysts at Morgan Stanley. Perhaps now they finally understand why BlackBerry bought Watchbox.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 09:43 PM
    That's what I thought so if you're not it isn't any more secure than anything else like I hear all the time.
    No, not at all. Blackberry hardware is more secure to hacking compared to an Android device or an iPhone. However, if you want to fully secure communications, it has to be linked to lines and servers. Sort of straightforward.

Posted via CB10
    TheAuthority likes this.
    04-25-15 09:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, Obama's BlackBerry is not using BES. His BlackBerry uses custom encryption software and only communicates with a mobile base station that goes with him wherever he goes. Very little about his BlackBerry is standard for consumer or Enterprise BlackBerry products.

The development of his personal BlackBerry was all over the media shortly after he was elected.

Top Level Telecommunications: How Obama's BlackBerry got secured
    Ghyss8888 likes this.
    04-25-15 11:00 PM
    The fact that the classified emails are properly secured and withstood attacks had nothing to do with BlackBerry. It is all thanks to the hardening and limitations imposed on the device Obama was using that just happened to be BlackBerry. It could have been an iPhone but they did not bother to spend the effort. Consumer BlackBerry handsets are no more secure than the competition.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and jmr1015 like this.
    04-26-15 12:45 AM
    If you're talking about the security of keeping hackers from hacking your phone maybe not but when you're talking about keeping your information safe from the random thief then yes BlackBerry is more secure.

Encryption
    BlackBerry Protect
    Those two features are a big plus for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 01:17 AM
    If attackers were unable to break the "BlackBerry firewall" and could only access normal E-mails. Then BlackBerry has erned serious points and the faith the government has in BlackBerry will increase

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    04-26-15 04:06 AM
    The fact that the classified emails are properly secured and withstood attacks had nothing to do with BlackBerry.
    The articles in the NYT and Globe said the hackers could NOT see Obama's MESSAGING which does have to do with his BlackBerry.

TCB on Z10
    04-26-15 04:49 AM
    Mods move this to the general forum security is a key BlackBerry feature this a story specifically highlighting that feature did what it was designed to do.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 06:54 AM
    Ordinary people aren't as concerned about security as governments and corporations are, hence BlackBerry's focus of securing data for governments and corporations through BES.

Most people are concerned with apps or games thinking that their personal device is for 'personal' use and if their job wants them to use a phone then it's the employer's responsibility to provide a secure platform.

I've met people who think that if their company wants them to be productive then they should be issued company laptops and unlimited data phones.

Productivity, in my mind, means communicating efficiently. Push emails, good call quality, and a bit of editing documents.

We work wide and we push forward. That's what we do.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 07:51 AM
    The articles in the NYT and Globe said the hackers could NOT see Obama's MESSAGING which does have to do with his BlackBerry.

TCB on Z10
    No it doesn't necessarily have to do with BlackBerry. I highly doubt his messaging is secured by BlackBerry. Much like the rest of his secure software, phone number, and email address/server, he likely has specialized messaging software. All his encrypted communications from his device are sent to the mobile base stations that follow his every move, aboard his limo or aboard Air Force One, which then sends the data to a special network of secure satellites and servers, operated by the NSA or Genesis Key/SecurDigital. Not BlackBerry, and not any normal carrier network. Like I said, very little about the way his BlackBerry works, is secured, and communicates, bares any resemblance to a consumer BlackBerry. It is loosely similar to an Enterprise network, but far more secure.

As far as we know, as it's been covered in the media, the president's mobile security is predominantly software based, and that software is not BlackBerry's. The rest is server side, and that also isn't BlackBerry.

If attackers were unable to break the "BlackBerry firewall" and could only access normal E-mails. Then BlackBerry has erned serious points and the faith the government has in BlackBerry will increase

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    I must have missed the mention of "BlackBerry firewalls" in the article.
    04-26-15 03:47 PM