02-06-09 07:33 PM
198 ... 45678
tools
    I never go into the storm thread for obvious reasons so maybe that why I didnt see much "bashing/fighting". I do however notice posts being removed/edited. I think the mods here do a great job (keep up the great work). That being said, I used to have a couple websites with open chatrooms. Talk about a pain to mod.....I wound up making a "fight room" just for them to duke it out in. I would say that I was a little tough on people back then though. 1 wrong post=permanent ip ban...no questions asked.
    Last edited by rlp32; 02-03-09 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo's...
    02-03-09 01:56 PM
    It's a fine line that we walk here at CrackBerry - everyone wants an open forum to discuss, get help with, rave about or rant about Blackberries. The best way to achieve that is to have as many people as possible sharing their ideas, thoughts and yes, even opinions.

The one downside to "as many people as possible" is the inevitable difference of opinion that increases as does the membership of the site. Whether the topic is Devices, OS's, carriers, or your favorite flavor of ice cream, someone out there thinks your crazy if you prefer strawberry over chocolate.

Let's just all remember the 2009 CB resolution, and all work toward keeping CrackBerry at the top of the Blackberry website hill.

Just my $.02
    02-03-09 02:01 PM
    FYI - just moved this thread to the Site Questions.

It's not really "BlackBerry" discussion (more like Site discussion) so it doesn't really make sense to be showing up in our Latest BlackBerry Posts category.

My thoughts here:

- If you look at the sheer volume of posts being made on CrackBerry each day, the actual % of posts that fall into the "rudeness" category I think is quite low. I think this is still one of the friendliest, happiest communities out there on the net and still receive countless emails each day from members and readers thankful to have discovered the site.

- At the same token, and has been mentioned on this thread, every site/community that grows huge attracts members from across the board - all ages, demographics, attitudes, geographic locations, etc. Some people are going to be cheery, others more cut and dry. The differing personalities are what truly makes it a CrackBerry Nation (and not a tiny little village!).

- BUT..regardless of it being good to have differing voices, I think we can do better as a community to respect new members and others who just may not have the same level of knowledge - both of BB and of the web. To post "search the forums" doesn't help that person at hand. As I wrote in the 2009 Resolution post, if you're going to respond to something that has been answered before, either respond with the answer (and link to original source and friendly instructions pointing them to the forum FAQ on how to use search) or just skip the response altogether - a member with more patience will respond.

If all of us long time members can lead by example, then there should be no rudeness breaking any hearts on the forums.

Are ya with me???
    02-03-09 02:02 PM
    I'm with Kev on this one.
    02-03-09 02:04 PM
    I came from another forum a radio controlled vehicle forum that I have enjoyed for some time. While there I learned a lot about helping, getting your point across, arguing and such and I built a awesome rep. I often told new comers, WELCOME TO ARKUM ASYLUM, where the guards took off leaving the inmates in charge.

Here is different. I haven't really got a good bead on things yet but I do know in the Storm forum I thought I had a great idea and posted it and moments later I was ripped apart, I mean one member just verbally beat me down to my core. Well I sat back and read beyond the insults and realized he was right, I was going to do harm to the phone so I removed the idea. Others came to my aid but I took it with a grain of salt. I call this member Uncle Morty. The one uncle who you hope never comes to xmas dinner but when he does he tries to make dinner miserable for all others.

I guess the bottom line is at least for me, is we have to look past the person typing and the tone of the keys and the words used and just get the help we so asked for.

On the other side of the coin I do pity those newbies who insist on not even scanning the first page and starting a new thread right above a thread that has their answer. Even this is pissing me off as of late!

Would it be to hard for the CB mods to come up with a agreement box @ sign-up saying that proper usage of this forum is necessary and teach newbies how to use the search? And if they don't agree then they can't join. Maybe not.

But anyway I realized I just rambled on for about 10 minutes here, but hopefully I made some sense. If not I'll go get a switch from the tree.

James
    Last edited by jamesandyori; 02-03-09 at 02:11 PM.
    02-03-09 02:06 PM
    Most forums allow you as a user to block posts from particular individuals. I haven't looked for the feature here, but if you find an individual more annoying than helpful, then blocking that person makes the forums much more pleasant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 02:09 PM
    I don't understand why certain members always attack poeple. If they post a redundant thread then let the moderators take action. Stop being vigilanties and either contribute to a thread in a helpful way or move on.

Also, replying to redundant questions helps build the search functions use. Who wants to search for something, go into the thread and find the following posts to be of no help at all.

I say get rid of the post counter and most issues would be solved.

02-03-09 02:12 PM
    My problem is Uncle Morty really knows what he is talking about! I kinda envy the guy he is smart! A smart Ars! But smart never the less!
    02-03-09 02:12 PM

Also, replying to redundant questions helps build the search functions use.
    Ahhhhh, that is true if people actually "searched" LOL sorry.
    02-03-09 02:13 PM
    Most forums allow you as a user to block posts from particular individuals. I haven't looked for the feature here, but if you find an individual more annoying than helpful, then blocking that person makes the forums much more pleasant.

Exactly I've been a member here since November and already have 2 people on my ignore list. You don't like what someone is saying then simply tune them out.
    02-03-09 02:14 PM
    FYI - just moved this thread to the Site Questions.

It's not really "BlackBerry" discussion (more like Site discussion) so it doesn't really make sense to be showing up in our Latest BlackBerry Posts category.

My thoughts here:

- If you look at the sheer volume of posts being made on CrackBerry each day, the actual % of posts that fall into the "rudeness" category I think is quite low. I think this is still one of the friendliest, happiest communities out there on the net and still receive countless emails each day from members and readers thankful to have discovered the site.

- At the same token, and has been mentioned on this thread, every site/community that grows huge attracts members from across the board - all ages, demographics, attitudes, geographic locations, etc. Some people are going to be cheery, others more cut and dry. The differing personalities are what truly makes it a CrackBerry Nation (and not a tiny little village!).

- BUT..regardless of it being good to have differing voices, I think we can do better as a community to respect new members and others who just may not have the same level of knowledge - both of BB and of the web. To post "search the forums" doesn't help that person at hand. As I wrote in the 2009 Resolution post, if you're going to respond to something that has been answered before, either respond with the answer (and link to original source and friendly instructions pointing them to the forum FAQ on how to use search) or just skip the response altogether - a member with more patience will respond.

If all of us long time members can lead by example, then there should be no rudeness breaking any hearts on the forums.

Are ya with me???
    Agreed. I am with you.
    02-03-09 02:15 PM
    My problem is Uncle Morty really knows what he is talking about! I kinda envy the guy he is smart! A smart Ars! But smart never the less!
    Actually I think it's Aunt Morty. And she sure DOES know her ****!

EDIT: As a helpful (I hope) fairly new person, I'm with ya too!
    02-03-09 02:19 PM

I have concentrated on memory management and suggested in Tips, to leave them alone.

In other words, caveat emptor?.. Now I'm asking a rhetorical question.
    02-03-09 02:19 PM
    Here is different. I haven't really got a good bead on things yet but I do know in the Storm forum I thought I had a great idea and posted it and moments later I was ripped apart, I mean one member just verbally beat me down to my core. Well I sat back and read beyond the insults and realized he was right, I was going to do harm to the phone so I removed the idea. Others came to my aid but I took it with a grain of salt. I call this member Uncle Morty. The one uncle who you hope never comes to xmas dinner but when he does he tries to make dinner miserable for all others.

I guess the bottom line is at least for me, is we have to look past the person typing and the tone of the keys and the words used and just get the help we so asked for.

James
    First, "Uncle Morty" didn't have to rip you apart, to get the point across about damaging your phone. No excuse for that. Sadists get no points from me.

Secondly, it takes a very mature, stable person, to be able to look past the messenger, and receive a valuable message. Again, I'm not saying that folks have to humiliate others, to make their points stick. But I am saying that some of the best information I've ever received wasn't necessarily delivered in the best manner "best" meaning in the way/tone I wanted it delivered. If I'd gotten so caught up in the "way" it was presented, I would have missed out and suffered for it.

Refreshing take on it...thanks for sharing!
    02-03-09 02:33 PM
    Wow. this definitely got a lot more feedback than I was expecting. But I'm glad to see people are with me on this.
    02-03-09 02:39 PM

I am sorry to hear that Coach, others have found my contributions of value. The MOP thead over 100K views, the Dead Blackberry thread, fortunaly, is well behind.

I was satisfied the mutual accord, but feel free to call out any mod. This is aleady archived, we do it BlackBerry style.
    Of value? The MOP guide has helped me out so much, i was here before CrackMem, when you had to remove files manually. I learned about the dreaded memory issue and how to resolve it from you. This was one of the reasons before 4.5 came out, my Pearl's free file memory was at 27, other's i knew barely had 19. I learned memory managment from you, thanks for everything you do here Reed, i greatly apprieciate it man...
    02-03-09 02:47 PM
    Wow. this definitely got a lot more feedback than I was expecting. But I'm glad to see people are with me on this.

Way to represent Philly girl! I'm from Philly also. Anyways it has started a great dialog on this important issue.
    02-03-09 02:55 PM
    Um... Yeah... about that... Totally my bad And I am so sure you can name
    more than one. BUT, DON'T!!
    I have a question for you AG.

I understand that you're harsh sometimes and what you say can be reality. I have no idea if your married have a GF so please don't think attacting them if you do.

Here's my quetion though

Let's say you or anyone you know is married to a fat person. That's the reality. But that's something you don't have to tell them just bcause its the reality? Right?

02-03-09 02:55 PM
    I have a question for you AG.

I understand that you're harsh sometimes and what you say can be reality. I have no idea if your married have a GF so please don't think attacting them if you do.

Here's my quetion though

Let's say you or anyone you know is married to a fat person. That's the reality. But that's something you don't have to tell them just bcause its the reality? Right?

AG is straight to the point on certain issues, so am i. Some people don't like to be told exactly how it is, some it does not bother at all. I prefer to not beat around the bush, just cut to the chase and tell you...
    02-03-09 02:59 PM

I know that question is directed towards AG, but I would certainly tell the person that their spouse/gf is fat or getting fat. I've done it in the past. People on here will be straight to the point. Just gotta take it.
    02-03-09 03:01 PM
    I understand what you guys are saying. I wanted others take on it but that's something I wouldn't say to a fat spouse.
    For the record I do have a lot of respect for AG. I do take his side on a lot of things and if I don't I just usually move on. Except that one time. Lol. He knows what it was. I don't want to bore you with it the details. Lol

SD I don't believe I have a confo with but I have learned a few things from your post. But I like AG better. J/k

02-03-09 03:17 PM
    Why is there a thread like this every other friggin day. Grow up
    people. Not everyone will communicate in a fashion you approve of.
    That does not make them rude, it just means there are those of us
    who refuse to sugar coat things, coddle anyone, hold anyones hand
    or pretend to be "Pollyannish" for the sake of Forum harmony.

Furthermore, there is so much that get lost in translation in a
    post. There is absolutely no way to determine the posters
    intent from what is typed. That is completely subjective. I have
    misinterpreted and have had more than a few comments
    misinterpreted. It happens.

Rather than these ridiculous "can we all get along threads", can
    we all just get a brain.
    Totally agree with you, AG. People need to grow up and stop taking things so personally. We're not friends, we're just people who happen to like the same thing. That doesn't necessarily mean that we have to like each other or even tolerate some of the things that people (let's be real here) complain about.

That being said, if nobody posted duplicate threads or posted threads solely to complain endlessly about something they don't like about something, then this Forum would consist of about 3 threads total. Hahaha!

I don't mind the duplicate threads, but it does make it that much harder to find a pertinent thread that deals with the problem I'm currently trying to resolve, that's my only issue. The fewer "junk" threads, the better we'd all be.
    02-03-09 04:52 PM
    I have to start off by saying that AG is my personal county mountie! Wherever I post AG is there. Whenever I fail to search AG is there! LOL! I utilize the search more often now, and never took it personally when someone (who shall remain nameless) informed me that I started a redundant thread.

Never the less...
    Some people here do have an attitude. I take it with a grain of salt. With the sheer number of posts that are posted here a day, it is surprising that you don't see more rudeness.

I have a family, a life, hobbies, etc. If/When the content of a post here affects my "real" life, I am going to slowly place my phone on the table and back away. Real life contains enough drama. I don't need to gather the drama that sometimes occurs here to my bosom, coddle it, and let it grow.

Some people are bitter and angry human beings. Those people always try to suck other people into their vortex of misery just for the company.

Live longer... Learn to let it slide.

02-03-09 10:16 PM
    OK, sure people need to be told how it is in a straight, no nonsense way, but that doesn't mean one needs to be rude either. I wouldn't even think of telling someone they or their loved one is fat. For goodness sake what would the point of that be? To rub their nose in something they already know to hurt their feelings, or humiliate them? For what, to somehow make oneself feel superior? What a load of.... There is nothing wrong with using a little skill with the English language to get your point across without acrimony or cruelty. I'm not talking about the way AG talks to people because he isn't mean about it. There's no place here for mean people. Seriously what does it say about someone if they need to be hurtful, or ridicule people to make a point. What those people are doing is demonstrating a marked lack of intelligence by being unable to make a point without being hurtful. People do need to be able to ignore the mean stuff, mostly because those kind of posts are a reflection of the person who wrote
    them, not those they are directed at.

Last edited by exelant; 02-03-09 at 11:42 PM.
    02-03-09 11:36 PM
    OK, People do need to be able to ignore the mean stuff, mostly because those kind of posts are a reflection of the person who wrote
    them, not those they are directed at.

I agree, but some of the members here have what I call a "dry" sense of humor. It just comes out the wrong way when you are behind a screen as opposed to face to face.

One should never give another the power to dictate how they feel.

02-04-09 08:35 AM
198 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD