^-----Toldya the thread was being moderated! Good job Reed.
    Of course it is, every member is encouraged to report problematic post. It is our job to deal with them.

In some cases, it may as simple as a content edit. Other cases, deleting the offending post is the best course of action.

Repeat offenders are on notice, we do not tolorate rude and argumentative behaviour.
    02-03-09 11:27 AM
    NOT GOING TO LIE, THIS MAKES ME EXTATICALLY HAPPY! I LOVE THE PACKERS! Totally unrelated to anything BB... BUT I LOVE THE PACKERS!
    02-03-09 11:48 AM
    I guess I am just old and was brought up differently, but, I was always taught that "if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything".
    Concerning the Search problem is that if you don't type in exactly the way the post (or help you are looking for) was posted then you won't find it.

One thing for EVERYONE on here to remember is that: at one time you were a noobie also and didn't know how to do everything (including but not limited to: posting, searching and the like).

"Please" and "Thank You" go a long way in helping people interpret what you are trying to say or convey.
    But, I'm just an old fart who learned computers when Pascal and Cobal were the norm for programming.
    02-03-09 11:50 AM
    I don't think a lot of people are intentionally being rude. First...its the net. So sometimes, you may take what someone says as rude and they may just be typing their thoughts.

And honestly...I normally don't mind but lately...I see the same questions asked post after post. There is a great forum search tool on here. For the majority of questions asked, that question has already been asked and answered.

I think that is why people get frustrated or may seem as if they are mean and non-helpful. I enjoy answering questions (the few times I have an actual answer) but when you have to answer it about 20 times over because someone didn't bother to read...then I do get a little mean.

**For the forum search, I found it easiest to just enter in one word of my problem, ie:memory. Plus if you do it from the front page of the CB site not just the forum area itself. If I search there, nothing comes up. But if you search from the actual CB homepage, the forum search works really well.
    02-03-09 11:56 AM
    [QUOTE=elvin1983;1573834]NOT GOING TO LIE, THIS MAKES ME EXTATICALLY HAPPY! I LOVE THE PACKERS! Totally unrelated to anything BB... BUT I LOVE THE PACKERS![/QUOTe}

Join, pm me your user name, and I will hook you up.
    02-03-09 11:58 AM
    **For the forum search, I found it easiest to just enter in one word of my problem, ie:memory. Plus if you do it from the front page of the CB site not just the forum area itself. If I search there, nothing comes up. But if you search from the actual CB homepage, the forum search works really well.
    Kayla, even better go to Google and type site:crackberry.com <search term>
    That will provide much better results as the search function on this site is
    almost useless.
    02-03-09 12:03 PM
    One thing all the "search police" seem to be overlooking is that they're adding to the problem. When someone does search for a term, more than half the results are the self proclaimed moderators telling people to use the search. It takes more time to sift through this garbage than it does to actually find the thread with the answers in it.
    02-03-09 12:05 PM
    People who don't know how to use the search function or post topic titles like "HEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!1!1111!!one!! 11" break my heart.

I don't think it's rude in anyway for people to be reprimanded for not using common sense.
    That Made Me LOL
    02-03-09 12:18 PM
    Has this been talked to death, yet?

claire
    02-03-09 12:20 PM
    I don't think a lot of people are intentionally being rude. First...its the net. So sometimes, you may take what someone says as rude and they may just be typing their thoughts. ...
    You make a excellent point.

We have the number, 0.4%. We also know where the problems are concentrated. Kevin will provide the formal statement in due course.

Many of our disappointed Storm members are younger then we are accustomed too in the BlackBerry population. They see this kind of argumentative behaviour on there gaming sites, they think it is socially acceptable.

The warnings will be clear. We need your cooperation, both ways, to make this work. When you see a violation of our rules, use the Moderator alert and we will do the dirty work. If you reply with a quote of an offensive post, you will also receive a short term punishment ban.

Leave the anti-social behaviour where it belongs, it has no place here.

02-03-09 12:22 PM
    Has this been talked to death, yet?

claire
    Obviously not....
    02-03-09 12:23 PM
    Wow, I posted on this from wap last night and it was only three pages. We're at six now this morning.
    02-03-09 12:24 PM
    Some people are so miserable in thier personal lives that they can't help but be nasty. Add the anonymous nature of the internet and they get even more emboldened. It used to upset me as well, but you know what, you really can't let it bother you, it's sad but funny. Just laugh it off.
    02-03-09 12:28 PM
    Wow, I posted on this from wap last night and it was only three pages. We're at six now this morning.
    That doest count the deleted posts in this topic.

Many member has expressed concern and displeasure with the rudeness, we have the numbers on our side.
    02-03-09 12:29 PM
    Some people are so miserable in thier personal lives that they can't help but be nasty. Add the anonymous nature of the internet and they get even more emboldened. It used to upset me as well, but you know what, you really can't let it bother you, it's sad but funny. Just laugh it off.
    weathering, I think you hit the nail on the head with that post....
    02-03-09 12:31 PM
    That doest count the deleted posts in this topic.

Many member has expressed concern and displeasure with the rudeness, we have the numbers on our side.
    Well put Reed...
    02-03-09 12:34 PM

Does anyone moderate the Off Topic Discussion Thread?

You HAVE to have some Skin Made of Steel to play there...

It seems like you can get away with murder- its the dark seedy alley of Crackberry where you need to carry mace with you at all times, and maybe even a angry nasty yappy small dog for defense
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 02-03-09 at 12:37 PM.
    02-03-09 12:35 PM

It seems like you can get away with murder- its the dark seedy alley of Crackberry where you need to carry mace with you at all times, and maybe even a angry nasty little dog
    We do, the Mod alert works just fine. However, off topic posts are not available for seaching and it clearly an adult playground at times.
    02-03-09 12:37 PM
    So Reed since you only referenced the personal attacks rule, is that the only one you are moderating? How come the threads titles "HEELLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!" never get edited. Even the most recent one I can think of titled like that was a new member asking the what the WAP address was (information that is easily found with a search) still remains on the forums. Why are personal attacks the only thing members are being reprimanded for?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 12:39 PM

It seems like you can get away with murder- its the dark seedy alley of Crackberry where you need to carry mace with you at all times, and maybe even a angry nasty little dog
    I agree with the off-topic comment, proceed with caution when you visit. There are certain people who thrive only in the off-topic forums looking to start trouble...
    02-03-09 12:44 PM
    So Reed since you only referenced the personal attacks rule, is that the only one you are moderating? How come the threads titles "HEELLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!" never get edited. Even the most recent one I can think of titled like that was a new member asking the what the WAP address was (information that is easily found with a search) still remains on the forums. Why are personal attacks the only thing members are being reprimanded for?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I HAVE seen those posts edited, but I'm sure personal attacks, SPAM, and other issues are more of a priority. CB has a small moderator staff and they DO have lives too.

(some of us might be willing to help moderate, but maybe we feel we should wait till we have a little more time under our belt - was I too obvious )
    02-03-09 12:46 PM
    Obviously not....
    Ohh...OK
    02-03-09 12:46 PM
    I need to check out this "off-topic" section. Sounds like it's pretty lively. I've never even gone into it. I do believe though that I once had a thread of mine moved to the off-topic section by a mod.
    02-03-09 12:48 PM
    Another component that adds to this climate is the fact that Crackberry now endorses unlicensed beta versions of operating systems for our devices. In introducing this variable into the community, we have drawn many, many individuals who would otherwise never be attracted here. Persons who would normally be in the pirate sites, and other places where illegal activities are unpunished. As a matter of fact, I would say it won't be too long until someone places a link to a virus on this site in a supposed "leaked" OS.

What price, Kevin, are you willing to pay for your continued growth?
    02-03-09 12:51 PM
    I don't particularly have a problem with the rude posts, as long as they don't get to the name-calling point. I'm fairly new to the forum, but I really try to search posts for my answers before I go posting a question that's been posted 12 times already. Some people don't take the time to search the posts, and it is kind of annoying. Still, whenever I post a response, I try to be polite, because like I said, I'm pretty new here too, and also because being rude really isn't going to deter that same person from posting another duplicate thread. Some people just don't have the patience to search the forums and some people don't have the patience for those non-searchers. It's a vicious circle!!!!!
    02-03-09 12:56 PM
198 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD